The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
You have no idea how close I was to buying that when you listed it here. I think we probably even have a conversation in our histories about that one.
Funny how tastes change though. I was excited about that guitar because I could get a full fretboard inlay. Now I'd pay more for it if it didn't have it. Would you still buy it today if it came up?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Funny how tastes change though. I was excited about that guitar because I could get a full fretboard inlay. Now I'd pay more for it if it didn't have it. Would you still buy it today if it came up?
No. The inlay was also what attracted me to it, too (and the thick ass top on that thing). I also wanted that white atlantean (below. Though, the white apparently turned yellow after a year) or the Crypt one, which I actually talked with Dylan about, but passed on because at the time $4000 seemed astronomical to me.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 9.16.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 9.17.16 PM.png

If I could have a Daemoness now, I would definitely get the first one I ever saw, because this inlay is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and it is the focal point of the guitar. The body has a blue finish on quilted maple, which makes it look like water. It's just really tastefully done, and understated. This is what I would consider a cool inlay now. Just one thing. Or, a totally blank board.

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 9.16.11 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-28 at 9.16.01 PM.png

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
“If you want Alan’s guitar in his preferred configuration with no neck humbucker it’s not in the builder, call my guys, no returns!” :nono::lol:

achrista

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I won't buy another kiesel because they sold that top to me as spalted maple. it's definitely not recognizable as a spalted maple top. if I ever order another custom guitar, it will be from a builder that doesn't slap shit together and call it 'rad'.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I won't buy another kiesel because they sold that top to me as spalted maple. it's definitely not recognizable as a spalted maple top. if I ever order another custom guitar, it will be from a builder that doesn't slap shit together and call it 'rad'.
Huh? That is 100% what spalted maple looks like.... :shrug:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do they let you specify what kind of figuring you get? They used to let you send photos of example tops and try to match to them the best they could.

But yeah, that's totally spalted maple, but also totally something that might not be exactly what you want if you want one of those tops with the heavier distribution of black lines and such.

IMG_3687.jpeg

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is one where I understand if you wanted to return it because you're feeling disappointed that you didn't like the figuring, but that is absolutely spalted maple and I personally quite like the top. As much as I wish I could shit on them for it, this is not a case where I think it is warranted.

achrista

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nobody has to shit on them, technically it is a piece of spalted maple. There is indeed spalting.

But there is a reason the guy said it's "Burled / Spalted" maple. It's because you can't clearly tell what the top wood is. They may be technically correct, but I am personally not going to buy another guitar if that's what they call spalted maple. If you look up spalted maple kiesel, it won't look like that in any photos, so it really just comes down to consistent QC.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
It is both burled and spalted. I can clearly see the characteristic lines of spalt in it. I'm not telling you to like it though, that's your preference. I get how disappointing it is to wait for months to receive a top you don't like. It's one of the inherent risks of semi-custom guitars where progress pics and full customization are not an option.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see how some who ordered this, wouldn't be happy.

IMG_3689.jpeg

That's the "Flamed Spalted Maple" option in the builder.

I think the top @achrista got is like 10000000 times better than circa 2007 spalted maple, but totally see why they have a problem.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Nobody has to shit on them, technically it is a piece of spalted maple. There is indeed spalting.

But there is a reason the guy said it's "Burled / Spalted" maple. It's because you can't clearly tell what the top wood is. They may be technically correct, but I am personally not going to buy another guitar if that's what they call spalted maple. If you look up spalted maple kiesel, it won't look like that in any photos, so it really just comes down to consistent QC.
That's not really QC, that purely comes down to the luck of the draw when you are buying a semi custom guitar like this. I understand some disappointment, but whether you like it or not, that's 100% a spalted maple top. And in IMO, still a really solid looking one.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
Yeah I'd happily take that guitar if you don't want it!

Probably the sensible thing to do if you're ordering a highly variable top wood is wait for a 'pick your top' event and then you know exactly what you're getting. Or buy one in-stock or secondhand.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Do they let you specify what kind of figuring you get? They used to let you send photos of example tops and try to match to them the best they could.
I've only been following forum talk on Kiesels for a couple years, and haven't heard anything like that, so I reckon they don't do that anymore. I know for the K-series you can specify figuring/choose your top. Then they also have their choose-your-top livestreams that are meant to be kind of a "special" thing. Which again leads me to believe normal order don't get to choose their top.

That's not really QC, that purely comes down to the luck of the draw when you are buying a semi custom guitar like this.
I think people buy in too much with the "custom " part of Kiesel. They advertise themselves as such, but they're more like production guitars with limited option choices. And like you said, it's a luck of the draw when they make so many guitars, and it's not really like a one-off luthier type of deal, which people seem to be expecting.

Reminds me of this reddit thread I read a while ago, someone posted their Kiesel with a flamed koa, and a commenter asked if it was a special order, because their own flamed koa was pretty weak looking (there's pics in the thread) 😅

I personally would be really hesitant ordering something with the wood grain on the display, because you just don't know. You could get a wood grain that likes a like a dick or something lol. I rolled the dice on antique ash and luckily came out with no weird grain/patterns (though I think ash is pretty safe in general...)

')