The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Perhaps this is well known by the Carvin/Kiesel faithful, why don't they let you have a Floyd on a 7 string?
The Becker guitars have Floyds IIRC, or at least I know they used to. I don't know the answer to your question, though.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The Becker guitars have Floyds IIRC, or at least I know they used to. I don't know the answer to your question, though.
I haven't played with the builder in quite a while, but I recall being able to put a Floyd on any 6 string I've built in it, but they only offer the Hipshot non-locking trem on 7s.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Perhaps this is well known by the Carvin/Kiesel faithful, why don't they let you have a Floyd on a 7 string?
They've given a number of reasons that all combine into the big picture reason. I can't say which was the straw that broke the camels back, though.

After they released the Hipshot trem, most of their artists switched over to the Hipshot, and overall demand for the 7-string Floyd dropped.

One thing interesting about the Floyd they DID offer, was that while they used the geran-made OFR for the 6-string, they used the korean-made Original 1000 for the 7s, because they needed it for the narrower string spacing. If they were to go with the 7-string OFR at the time, they would have needed to generate all-new CNC programs to accommodate the wider string spacing just to accommodate that one bridge.

This all came around at a point where Kiesel was looking to streamline their CNC programs. Let's say a guitar with a specific set of specs is one program. Change from HH to HSS pickups, and that double the programs. Right and left handed doubles it again. 25.5" and 27" scale options double it again, etc etc. They saw that eliminating the slow-selling bridge could streamline their programs.

Additionally, Kiesel's mentioned that they had a few batches of the Original 1000 bridges that had some QC issues. They have also said they liked to avoid importing major components from asia when they can help it (though they have made some obvious exceptions like their tuners)

So putting all of that together, in 2018, they just decided they were "done". So it's been about 6 years since they offered 7-string Floyds.

It's not like they are against Floyds all together. While they did remove it as an option from some of their more "classic" models like the CS6 and CT6 (where they were probably really slow-selling options anyway), but they've also released many models since, including some of the most recent, with 6-string Floyd Rose bridges.

')