The case against earplugs

• Thread starter Goro923
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
So.

There's a couple of dudes I usually hang out and go to shows with. We have a good time and all, but they usually start making fun of me right around the time when I take out my earplugs. I've tried to explain to them countless times how important it is to protect your hearing, being in turn answered with "pussy", etc.

I couldn't give less of a shit about the name-calling, I just wish they'd realize that prolonged and repeated exposure to loud volumes does cause hearing problems. When I tell them that I do it because I want to be able to hear something when I'm 30, they usually reply with "You only live once" and things of the sort. Naturally this annoys me to no end, because with good earplugs you can actually hear the music better than without them.

I'd just like to hear thoughts/experiences and/or arguments (in favor of using them, of course) to change peoples minds; I'm sure most people on this forum know how important this is.

Protect your ears, people :shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
There's not really an argument to be made against them other than laziness or "false metal" bullshit.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
There is no such thing as an argument against earplugs.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
^^I meant arguments in favor of using them, to try to convince people, but thanks anyway :lol:

troyguitar

Reaction score
I turn 27 in 1 month and have poor hearing already. I now wear them at all shows/rehearsals but a decent amount of damage has already been done.

I really don't know how I could ever stand not wearing them. When I'm around anything loud now without earplugs it is downright painful.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
When I'm playing guitar and drums loudly at home, earplugs actually make it sound a lot better to me. :lol: Wearing them at a show ensures I won't have a headache later, along with ear ringing that sounds like a vacuum is running next to my head whenever I'm in a quiet room.

bulb

Reaction score
I'm happy to say that 90% of the shows I have been to, I have had earplugs of some sort.
I played maybe a handful of Periphery gigs back in the day (probably whilst still on drums too) without earplugs, and it was horrible.

Right before we started touring full-time I invested in a molded set, which really changed everything for me. They don't block out sound so much as attenuate it, so you can hear everything just as clearly as you would, but at a level that won't damage your ears.

I think a big reason people hate ear plugs is because the cheap ones do tend to only allow low frequencies through whilst completely blocking the harmful high freqs, but with the molded set, it makes loud things sound BETTER with them in so you end up putting them in all the time so you can hear everything better.

I can't recommend those enough, and yeah at about 150-170 bucks it's not cheap, but then again, we are talking about your ears here, and those CANNOT be repaired...(yet, but even when we will have the technology, it will be vastly more expensive than the preventative measures)

Overtone

Reaction score
I try to bring them with me. It often does improve the sound of the show, but at some shows I take them out because I find that A) it's not that loud and B) it sounds better without them at that show. Really depends on the band, the venue, and the sound guy.

flo

Reaction score
Wearing earplugs is as uncool as wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. Or using condoms. Or not looking constantly into laser beams. Or driving a car without being completely drunk. In the dark, with the lights on.

What I want to say is that not protecting yourself from obvious dangers is really stupid.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
it makes loud things sound BETTER with them in so you end up putting them in all the time so you can hear everything better.

And here I thought I was the only one who had earplug withdrawal :lol:

Mine aren't molded but they aren't cheapos either, and I never actually thought that it was possible to hear the intended frequencies and cancel out the harmfull ones until I tried them out for myself.

I originally bought them to see the American Carnage Tour a couple of years ago (you don't know painfully loud if you haven't seen Slayer, seriously), started taking them to every concert and eventually rehearsals. I usually keep them close by just in case someone starts drilling without prior notice :realmad:

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
ha, that's what i said until about a month ago.

then i had a particularly loud band practice which made my ears beep n buzz for 3 days straight, also massive headache for a day.

so now it's earplugs and i love it. even cheap ones for $20 or $30 can make the difference.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
I've never worn earplugs to a show I'm sad to say :(

Where can I get some good ones for relatively cheap?

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
I've never worn earplugs to a show I'm sad to say :(

Where can I get some good ones for relatively cheap?

Man, the ability to hear well (enough) is priceless. If I were gigging constantly I would sure as hell NOT buy cheap earplugs.

Good and cheap don't match well in my book.

Hyacinth

Ghostmaker
Reaction score
I bring earplugs with me to all shows now. Ever since I went to a Coheed and Cambria show and the soundman was trying to make everybody deaf.

')