The case against earplugs

• Thread starter Goro923
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I use some cheap $30-$40 dollar hearos and not only do they do an ok job of killing volume, they also make everything sound clearer because its much easier for you to actual hear whats going on at volumes that are not 999999db.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
My incoming in ear monitors are worth more than my car, haha. I've been using ear plugs ever since I started going to shows. The only musicians that I run into that tend not to like them are vocalists for some odd reason.

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
I'm just over 30 and I have noticed I definitely have damaged my hearing. I always listen to music, tv, ect louder than everyone else because I can't hear it enough at normal volumes. Pretty f'n sure I have tinnitus too. When I was younger I never used ear plugs and I am seeing the effects now.

All part of being young and stupid. :wallbash:

Sinborn

Tube Guru
Reaction score
I dunno, cochlear implants are getting better all the time. Perhaps in 20 years you can get implants that are either more precise than our own natural hearing or attach directly to the nerve where there's no damage. I wouldn't count on it tho :p

Good live shows are fucking loud. Stupid loud. Painful loud. It's still loud with plugs, you get the same pound in your chest with less pound in your ears.

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
Tinnitus ain't no joke. Wasn't there a guy who committed suicide because he was a long time sufferer? To anyone feeling the peer pressure, just put the earplugs in, smile, nod and continue to give zero fucks. Always bring some extras in case you misplace them, and also to offer to your friends. That's what bros do. I plan on listening to music until I can't anymore and I'd much rather have that happen later than sooner.

Anyway I had my fair share of people who told me "lol are you wearing earplugs? are you a pussy etc", I just answer them "see you when you're 50"

"I'd like to hear you say that in 30 years. And at the rate you're going, I bet you would too."

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
They can call you whatever they want, but in 20 years, you'll still be able to hear.

I won't even stay inside the venue if I don't have earplugs in, same for practice.

brootalboo

My boo
Reaction score
Haven't read the thread, but want to let you guys know that about 4 years ago I did a band practice without earplugs and now I have a severe case of Tinnitus that has caused depression, anxiety, and sleep issues for me. Do not fuark with this stuff!

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I dropped $380NZD on a molded set. Fit perfectly, sounded great...then as soon as my jaw opened to sing, all the exterior sound poured in through the gaps and I had wasted $380. I don't like to wear earplugs live because I feel it removes me from being present in the music and how I sit myself in the live mix.

I know it's bad for my ears but not vibing on the force of the music is not good at all for me performance wise..

I also smoke and drink and I'm a real badass motorbike riding woman slayer

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I have tinnitus. It is very unpleasant. You don't want that. You REALLY don't want that. I can't remember what silence is.

I didn't use earplugs when I was younger. 10 years of high volume at gigs & clubs - aka the 1990s.

OP, your friends are dicks.

EDIT: The only time I occasionally don't wear plugs is if playing a show with crappy stage sound, otherwise they're always in now.

cronux

Reaction score
756img30.png

:lol:

and my :2c:

I've used them back in the day, then for some reason i quit. I'm using them now and can't complain but on the other hand there is ONE REASON WHY I HATE EARPLUGS

when you forget them and have to do a gig/rehearsal :lol:

vstealth

Reaction score
I really think I should start using them, even if they are the shitty sponge ones. The last gig I went to wasnt too bad until psycroptic came one, that was so damn loud...

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Wearing earplugs is as uncool as wearing a helmet when riding a bicycle. Or using condoms. Or not looking constantly into laser beams. Or driving a car without being completely drunk. In the dark, with the lights off.

Whoa whoa whoa, let's not be crazy now. Laser beams are rad.

Dayn

Reaction score
Scream into his ear.

I learned at a very early age when I asked my sister to yell into my ear. That was louder than a bloody jet engine. Let's not repeat that.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
I've only used hearing protection once while playing they were the giant ones Paul Gilbert uses and stuff was more clear.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
I always use them for practice. We are crazy loud. The other day, they moved and my ear wax was bugging me so I took one of them off. I heard our true volume for the first time in a good while. It was painfully loud! I was literally wincing in pain. But!!!! I heard my true guitar amp tone for the first time in a good while and fell in love all over again.

I love them for singing and bringing volumes down. I also think they help clarity in a way. I dont like them for growl/screaming. They do change tone. They arent great for horn players either...

When I go to shows I usually don't wear them. Sometimes mixing is bad so I put them in and they make it worse. Other times I don't feel live shows are too loud from where I stand.

avenger

Reaction score
Yeah I've had some ringing in my ears before, the worst lasting a few days... I try to remember to bring them I've been to so many shows that its hit or miss if I even remember them but one time....

I didn't bring them and had to fucking leave it was so loud I thought I was going to fucking puke. I cant even explain the feeling it was like I was hammered and spinning around wildly about to puke... from noise.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I tend to stay in the back at shows now being 30 and not wanting to mix it up with kids. I generally find earplug unnecessary at that distance since a good portion of the sound is attenuated by all the bodies.

What's amusing was having Across Tundras play my restaurant. It has brick walls and a solid floor. After the set, Tanner and I are talking and we're both all "That may have been the loudest concert we've both experienced". It' was... intense.

I wish I'd have had plugs there. We've had a bunch of bands play and I've never felt the need for them before, but man, that show...

tm20

Reaction score
i never wear them because i thought you wouldn't be able to hear the music as good.....is this the case? if not then i may start using earplugs, although most shows i've been to haven't been too bad in terms of the volume. worse would've been Metallica, I couldn't hear properly for a day or two after the show :lol:

')