The case against earplugs

• Thread starter Goro923
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wildchild

Reaction score
i developed tinitus at 22 now im 30 and I feel I cant hear anyone talking when Im out with my mates
it started to hit me after going to an yngwie gig and I had that rining for over a week and went to the doctor
now whenever I go anywhere that has loud music I have to wear ear plugs buts its the dampening ones that have isolation
damn if only my grandad was a rocker I could have learned now I am probably gonna have to get a hearing aid when I hit old man age

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So.

There's a couple of dudes I usually hang out and go to shows with. We have a good time and all, but they usually start making fun of me right around the time when I take out my earplugs. I've tried to explain to them countless times how important it is to protect your hearing, being in turn answered with "pussy", etc.

I couldn't give less of a shit about the name-calling, I just wish they'd realize that prolonged and repeated exposure to loud volumes does cause hearing problems. When I tell them that I do it because I want to be able to hear something when I'm 30, they usually reply with "You only live once" and things of the sort. Naturally this annoys me to no end, because with good earplugs you can actually hear the music better than without them.

I'd just like to hear thoughts/experiences and/or arguments (in favor of using them, of course) to change peoples minds; I'm sure most people on this forum know how important this is.

Protect your ears, people :shred:

Growing up on a hippie commune I've been around loud music since my childhood. I first saw the Dead when I was 10. Since then I've seen just about every punk & metal band you could possibly think of including Motorhead 3 times and Slayer (loudest) 5 times. I've never worn ear plugs except when I was working as a Stagehand for a local promoter and I simply needed to mute bands that I couldn't stand. Plus during rehearsals for the bands that I was in. Also, I wear either ear plugs or muffs when I'm using grinders and air chisels at my work. That said, my hearing is fine. I had it tested awhile back for work and passed 100%. In fact, I'm always hearing sounds before anyone else can.

I kinda came to the conclusion that prolonged exposure to loud amplified music might actually stimulate or improve my hearing. Granted, my ears would really ring after a show for a day or so but it always subsides and goes back to normal. I can't speak for others but I enjoy super loud concert level music. I'm going to SUNN (O))) in a couple weeks and I doubt I'll wear plugs. If it bugs you then wear earplugs and if your friends give you shit I'd say its time to either sucker punch the friends you got in the gut and tell them to chill out or find new friends.

benduncan

Reaction score
if i remember correctly hearing loss is caused by hairs in your cochlea being damaged.

its not like your immune system or something that can adapt.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
^^Yeah, I'm taking an Acoustics class this semester and all signs point to prolonged exposure being (if anything at all) really, really, really, really, really damaging to your hearing. Not that I had any doubts about it, though :scratch:

darkinners

my fingers are lame
Reaction score
hearing protection is very very important.
I regret I didn't take this seriously at my younger days.

This result me the sound I perceive from my left ear ring and distorted at certain volume/frequencies.
And I can't hearing anything over 15-16Khz now even on good monitors or earphones.
This is permanent

Now I am using these whenever I go to gigs or rehearsal.
ACS%20ER-20%20Musician_DJ%20Ear%20Plugs%20alt1%20djkit.JPG

They won't alter the sound much while giving you good hearing protection.
unlike most of the plugs will suck all of the trebles. pretty neat stuff.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I have had to do a couple of gigs and practices without ear plugs and when I was younger I went to a fair few shows without ear protection. It's only when I go to bed and it's quiet that I notice the tinnitus, bit of a shame though and don't want it to get any worse.

You have to get that volume up to get the floor shaking as it should at a good gig, but we have a lot to learn from music producers in other styles about getting the right vibe without damaging people, in my opinion.

vansinn

Reaction score
Well well well.. the old plugs? WTF? discussion ;)
Couple of dudes at a Black Sabbath concert in cph pointed fingers at me, clearly indicating "look at this idiot, he's using plugs". I shrugged my shoulders..

A skydiving chick I used to know back then, already at age 21 had reduced hearing from going to every rock/metal concert she could afford. Always at first row, no plugs.

BTW, I quickly learned to use plugs when skydiving, realizing I heard pink noise after a full day of skydiving. You know, freefall at 180-200 Kpm makes a hellalotta noise in the ears (though the adrenaline rush makes you not detect this).
Same thing with the older generation motorcycle helmets we had, not being fully closed-off under the ears, unlike modern helmets. Created a lotta noise too.

A salsa dance indtructor I used to take lessons from, when going out to meet the night life, used the same custom molded plugs we musicians use. Wise guy!

guy in latvia

Reaction score
I want to point out another thing about hearing, my aunt had to get ear surgery because she spends almost her entire day talking on the phone, so make sure to keep volumes down and watch out for the simplest ways that damage hearing.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
There are about 100 ways to get tinnitus. Current medical science doesn't really know that much about it. I wish I didn't know so much about it. Don't know how it came on but loud music escalates it big time. Prolonged exposure to loud noise is one of the ways it happens. I also think some people are more genetically predisposed to it. May be a brain wiring thing, might be a formation of the ears or whatever. Some people can get tons of noise exposure and have no effects, others get hearing loss and no tinnitus, others get hearing loss and tinnitus, others get just tinnitus.

Definitely protect your hearing. It's easy to do and you won't regret it.

Lifestalker

Reaction score
Since I can remember going to shows, I remember bringing earplugs. I work in a manufacturing environment where earplugs are a requirement, not an option. It sort of became second nature. I wear them at shows, practice(when I was in a band) and in any other situation that they might become handy. I always have a couple pair nearby.

For live shows, I've found it makes the overall sound much more tolerable. It kind of evens things out and I can understand what's going on to a significant degree. I've had people laugh at me at shows for wearing them as well, but the jokes on them. I understood they were ill-informed. I have two annual hearing tests at work and in the 11 years I've been there, my hearing hasn't changed. Makes me happy.

There's no case against wearing earplugs.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I always find it funny when people laugh at others who have ear plugs at shows. If you get a good pair you can actually hear things more clearly and with a hell of a lot less distortion. But I guess it isn't trve kvlt enough for some people and tinnitus is metal as f**k. :rolleyes:

protest

Reaction score
Well well well.. the old plugs? WTF? discussion ;)
Couple of dudes at a Black Sabbath concert in cph pointed fingers at me, clearly indicating "look at this idiot, he's using plugs". I shrugged my shoulders..

A skydiving chick I used to know back then, already at age 21 had reduced hearing from going to every rock/metal concert she could afford. Always at first row, no plugs.

BTW, I quickly learned to use plugs when skydiving, realizing I heard pink noise after a full day of skydiving. You know, freefall at 180-200 Kpm makes a hellalotta noise in the ears (though the adrenaline rush makes you not detect this).
Same thing with the older generation motorcycle helmets we had, not being fully closed-off under the ears, unlike modern helmets. Created a lotta noise too.

A salsa dance indtructor I used to take lessons from, when going out to meet the night life, used the same custom molded plugs we musicians use. Wise guy!

dos-equis-most-interesting-guy-in-the-world-300x300.jpeg

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Dummies gon' be dummies... :shrug:

Tinnitus sucks ass. I had this ridiculous ringing in my ears for like 2 weeks just from going to a show as an audience member. No way I'd wanna be on stage with that without something protecting my ears... :2c:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
I have had to do a couple of gigs and practices without ear plugs and when I was younger I went to a fair few shows without ear protection. It's only when I go to bed and it's quiet that I notice the tinnitus, bit of a shame though and don't want it to get any worse.

You have to get that volume up to get the floor shaking as it should at a good gig, but we have a lot to learn from music producers in other styles about getting the right vibe without damaging people, in my opinion.

It just seems like it's the nature of metal music to be very loud. Acoustic drums are loud as hell, amps need to be heard over them, plus it just adds to the atmosphere.

I mean, if you're going to a metal show you SHOULD know that there will be extreme levels of volume. If you don't ware earplugs and go to shows regularly, whatever. It's your tinnitus/hearing loss not mine. I for one will always protect my ears. People who refuse to ware earplugs will inevitably pay for it, if there are people who honestly don't think that there will be consequences for not wearing ear protection will be in for a very, very rude awakening (eventually). The other guitar player in my band never wares them, neither does our drummer or keyboard player. I don't get how they do it.

/rant

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Every time i've worn ear plugs I end up removing them because they are always the cheap ones that really kill the overall sound i'm hearing - what bulb was saying holds true for me. I've been lucky to make it this far without major hearing issues, but it's time to invest in a decent set, what with gigging regularly. At the end of a 4hr+ gig, its obvious my ears are not happy. Good thread!

')