The case against earplugs

• Thread starter Goro923
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I'm sorry, has this joke been made yet? And if it hasn't, WHY NOT?

Okay, here goes.

(ahem)

What?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
^^These are the ones I have, they're actually cheaper than I rememberd, but they've really made a difference for me:

LivePlugs.com - Hearing protection for music - LivePlugs – ear plugs for music

My guitarist gave me a set of these and it was the greatest thing. Once my drummer shows up to the practice space, they're in my ears. I sing in my band, my two guitarist are pretty damn loud and even with a decent PA, it can be tough to hear myself over everyone else, but sticking those things in, it made me stop over-singing and pitch was that much better.

These are just earplugs, I can't wait to get in-ears. As for how everything sounds, they do a great job at not cutting too many highs, they really just bring the volume down.

I move them in and out, depending on how much I need to hear my actual voice in the speakers. Sometimes it's hard to tell if I'm making the proper sound with my voice unless I hear in through the PA, mainly screaming.

octatoan

Acoustic tech-death!
Reaction score
Tell them you can't hear them calling you ".....", because you're wearing earplugs. Profit.

The Mirror

Reaction score
I don't give a damn about peoples opinions on that. I've got those nice musician earplugs who actually change the sound instead of just lowering the noise so that you actually hear something in a over-the-top-loud concert.

Best example: HevyDevy in first row in a small-as-hell club. It was awesome but without my earplugs I heard nothing but noise for the club was to small and to stretched to get somewhat of a resonance for a great listening experience without earplugs. Put them in a you can hear something and stand in the first row and having a great evening. twinwin...

RV350ALSCYTHE

Reaction score
Tinnitus (as has been said already)...end of discussion :shrug:

If you're still ignorantly arguing against, then go stand in front of a speaker at the next concert and tell me how your head feels the next five days.

It's all clearly documented and proven, go read a textbook on the function of your ears before you pick the obviously wrong side :lol: They fatigue, become damaged and will never pick up those frequencies the same.

How did this make it to 6 pages?? :lol:

Chi

Niverlare
Reaction score
Yeah, like everyone else said. I used to go see bands without earplugs, and started using them last year and dude, it's incredible. No more ringing ears after a concert.

We're musicians, our ability to hear is our most important thing...no arguments against watching your health.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
It just seems like it's the nature of metal music to be very loud. Acoustic drums are loud as hell, amps need to be heard over them, plus it just adds to the atmosphere.

I mean, if you're going to a metal show you SHOULD know that there will be extreme levels of volume. If you don't ware earplugs and go to shows regularly, whatever. It's your tinnitus/hearing loss not mine. I for one will always protect my ears. People who refuse to ware earplugs will inevitably pay for it, if there are people who honestly don't think that there will be consequences for not wearing ear protection will be in for a very, very rude awakening (eventually). The other guitar player in my band never wares them, neither does our drummer or keyboard player. I don't get how they do it.

/rant

I don't think we're disagreeing. However whenever I see Clutch, I don't have to wear earplugs, and I don't suffer for it the next day. When I saw Meshuggah, again, I didn't need ear plugs and I was fine the next day. So there are things that can be done by the bands to help the audience, I think, in the mixing and sound they use.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I always find it funny when people laugh at others who have ear plugs at shows. If you get a good pair you can actually hear things more clearly and with a hell of a lot less distortion. But I guess it isn't trve kvlt enough for some people and tinnitus is metal as f**k. :rolleyes:

As a fellow Archer-based avatar user, I definitely realize the effects that tinnitus has.

I also have tinnitus and that shit sucks. I wear earplugs to all band rehearsals and gigs that we play (or don't play, really) and it's so awesome to not have to have my ears ringing more than usual because I was an idiot and didn't wear mine. I've tried countless times to convince my bandmates to wear them and none of them have any interest. :nuts:

Reaction score
Yngwie has been playing right next to a cranked stack wall of marshalls for 30 years with no hearing protection. Ever wonder why his recent albums sound like crap? His muddy production and toilet tone is a result of his damaged hearing over the years.

')