The Chilli Experience

• Thread starter joelozzy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
0808183826-chilli.gif

Sup my fellow SS.Orgers.

I was sitting at my table tonight as per normal eating dinner with the fam which consisted of A Chicken/Pasta Concoction with the usual heaped teaspoon of jolokia chilli paste mixed in.

My old lady see's me getting my usual chilli sweat on and sais, "Why the hell do you put yourself through this every night". I replied with "It's friggin beautiful try it, It's not just the taste". And I thought to myself shit, what did I mean by that, and it got me thinking. Why do I eat so much friggin chilli and what is it that keeps me reaching for it with every meal?

I done a little research and of course wiki brought this to my attention. "Eating chilis is an example of a constrained risk like riding a roller coaster, in which extreme sensations like pain and fear can be enjoyed because individuals know that these sensations are not actually harmful".

So I thought why the hell would I want to experience pain when I'm trying to enjoy a meal. So I came up with my own explanation and I wanted to share it with ya'll.

Not only is the taste of chilli freakin beautiful with many dishes. But the element of heat through the spices also brings another sensation to eating the dish. To me, eating an extremely spicy dish is like going for a jog, It makes you sweat, gets your heart going and is often enjoyable but strenuous. After you finish your jog, you feel relaxed knowing that you've done some good for yourself, much like eating chilli speeding up your metabolism.

I've found this rather difficult to explain, and I appreciate those who have taken the time to read it and respond. But I still am yet to know why I do reach for the Jolokia bottle with every single meal. I have it on freakin Toast for breakfast. It's rediculuous.

Another short story, my Dad and I regularly visit an asian noodle bar in which we order the same thing each time and add copious amounts of chilli in it. One day I decided to go a little too far and put a rather large amount. Same thing happened, I got my chilli sweat on a little more than usual, my nose was running and I knew that the next day I'd have the red ring of fire. But it's all good, Cause I really enjoyed the meal. It was worth it.

That following night a had some rather serious stomach cramps, I was awake more than half the night sitting up in bed with what felt like someone squeezing my intestines really hard from the inside. During the night I thought shit why did I do that to myself?

Two days later I'm back at the noodle bar conscious of what I had done to myself that week. Ordered our meals, next thing I know I'm adding the same amount as last time not even caring of what was in store for me that night. I just enjoyed the meal too much last time, It didn't matter to me what was going to happen that night.

Anyways, I'll tie this up. Anyone else have similar stories or experiences with spicy food? Or do I just have some serious problems? Haha.

Peace guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm sorry i don't have any similar story to yours,
but i tried tabasco red for the first time last weekend (i'm not eating hot & spicy stuff often)
- i know some friends that would say tabasco is hot but that was total harmless for me. :nuts:

I end up ordering some Dave's Insanity and CaJohn Sauces to heat up and to put some fun into boring lame foods.
i know i have to be very carefully for that stuff i use for the first time. package should be arrive next friday

Nickthebogan

....stormer
Reaction score
I am a big chilli freak too, always get asked why I am covering foods with extra spice and hot sauce.

Daves ghost pepper sauce is awesome, although can fuck you up in the wrong quantities.

The mrs bought me a chilli tasting day out for xmas too so should find some nice new peppers to gorge on.

My younger brother moved to thailand and has since given himself stomach ulcers from eating birds eye/mouse shit chillis constantly.

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
hmmm sorry i don't have any similar story to yours,

I end up ordering some Dave's Insanity and CaJohn Sauces to heat up and to put some fun into boring lame foods.
i know i have to be very carefully for that stuff i use for the first time. package should be arrive next friday

Hell yeah let me know how it is. Also thats another thing, It does add some fun into lame foods. Maybe my old girls cooking is lame haha. Thats another way of describing the chilli experience for sure. Fun

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
I am a big chilli freak too, always get asked why I am covering foods with extra spice and hot sauce.

Daves ghost pepper sauce is awesome, although can fuck you up in the wrong quantities.

The mrs bought me a chilli tasting day out for xmas too so should find some nice new peppers to gorge on.

My younger brother moved to thailand and has since given himself stomach ulcers from eating birds eye/mouse shit chillis constantly.

I'll have to check this out for sure. And holy crap a chilli tasting day! Heavan!

And wtf is a birds eye and/or mouse shit chilis. I don't even. Explain :flame:

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
Birds eye chili, i reckon, is also called Piri Piri, and is a chili that gets hot after some time you've eaten it. If it is the same as those i got, then it takes approx 6 seconds to release the kick... And it bashed in my skull first time i ate it. Yet it tasted really really bad. ._.

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
I put some form of hot sauce in most of my meals, be it Dave's Insanity, or Caribbean Hot Pepper etc. it just tastes too plain without the kick...

Nickthebogan

....stormer
Reaction score
And wtf is a birds eye and/or mouse shit chilis. I don't even. Explain :flame:

I did a cooking course when i was in thailand, and they gave me these tiny chillis and said "in thailand these are called mouse shit" i guess cos they look like mouse shit haha.

hot as fuck.

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Hell yeah let me know how it is.

here is my package:

hot1s.jpg

from left to right: CaJohn's Serrano Puree, CaJohn's Z Nothing Beyond (300000 Scoville), Dave's Crazy Caribbean, Blair's Ultra Death 20/20, Blair's Heat Habanero Mango, Blair's Sweet Death, Blair's 2am Reserve Extract (692000 Scoville)

hot3p.jpg

i only opened the Dave's Crazy Caribbean Sauce so far and it's sweet with much carrots, the vinegar flavor is almost not noticeable.
It works good with pasta, goulash or chili con carne with beans.

it's a good sauce for warming up but it is definitely NOT hot.

the other sauces i will open someday soon one by one. but i'm scared of the Blair's 2am so please wait .......

Dave

Reaction score
I like hot chilli.. I bought an extract called Biohazard (6.2 million scoville) normally I'd let other people put a dab on the end of a toothpick on their tongue, normally i'd put about 5mm of the end of a toothpick and stir it into a a meal to heat it up nicely, except one time round a friends i thought it'd be smart to put a similar amount straight on my tongue, apparently I turned white, and ended up drinking most of my friend's milk... The next day i was probably in and out of the toilet every 10-30 mins with a nasty burn everytime. I was ok by the next day at least, lol.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
I can definitely say I'm in the "you're crazy" party.

I eat food because I love food. I never add condiments or salt or anything. I never mix my food either. Always one thing at a time. Adding gasoline to that just to feel pain would make me legaly insane.

Reaction score
I love spicy shit. I order hot sauce whenever I start getting low, but I've got four or five open bottles right now.

My favorite right now is probably Mad Dog's Ultra Hot BBQ Sauce:
41t7SRPY3LL.jpg

Fucking delicious. I've got another order in mind that will include the SPHINCTER SHRINKER. It's not that hot, but I love the name. Whenever my bottles are empty, I keep them to add to my collection of hot sauce. Love the shit.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Being as I have worked with people who work with food for much of their lives, I've noticed something: a lot of people who are nuts for spicy foods just don't like more subtle tastes. If they *can't* add hot sauce to something, it's just not worth it to them.

In asking more questions in order to find out why they all had different tastes and needs in food, I found that those who were able to appreciate a more varied palette tended to fall into the super-taster category (look it up, folks!), and that smokers tended to prefer spicy foods (possibly related to the known artifact of smoking, dulling of the taste buds).

Being as I sometimes enjoy the simple pleasures of a loaf of bread, just out of the oven, with a bit of butter on it, I can only imagine how much is missed if one is only excited by adding hot sauce to everything. I suppose it must be like when someone professes to only be able to enjoy metal, instead of having a wide musical taste....

joelozzy

RG7 Whore
Reaction score
@ Jinogalpa holy shit dude. That bottle in the glass jar with what looks like candle wax looks friggin intense almost too good to open! That packaging is amazing haha. Would love to try that. And I rofl'd @ the one with the skull on it that sais Death.

I just found this searching through some stuff

Hottest Sauces in the World - Scoville Unit - The Hottest Sauce in the World

@Dave 6.2 Million scovilles Holy BOOOOM!!

@Explorer I definitely see where you're coming from. I'm not a smoker however I definitely enjoy some simple foods. Thankyou for your input :)

Jinogalpa

ESP fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
@ Explorer

i do not smoke, i'm not a very good taster but already taste the diff between nespresso coffees and between good champagne vines.
And still, i don't have a big variety in my foods - BECAUSE of most foods tastes to me like "not remindable" you know.
But they become interesting with adding some good flavor to it.

for example: on every years christmas fever at work, our chief spends a complete menue with things i have never eaten before.
At the end of the party all of my collegues said "it don't tastes like we expected" so everybody was disappointed.

Many people just don't like it too experimental, and eat what they know.
And eating it often can be boring so add some hot sauces to discover a new taste with foods i already know. :yum:

@ joelozzy

yes it's wax with a skull on it. All three Blair sauces have a skull on it and can be used as a key chain. they freak me out :lol:

')