The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

keshav

Connecting the Dots
Reaction score
Straight up one of the best and most inspirational bands I've ever witnessed, live and on record. :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Purely speculation but I'm pretty sure this "rediscovered" thing will not be their new sound. I think it is just the result of them playing those songs so many times that their minds wanted to "rediscover" them.

I am pretty sure they won't ever leave their metal roots in the dust. :hbang: It's part of who they are, and the community they are in.

I dunno, I can see them pulling a Cynic, getting to chill, and never writing anything metal again. DMT is one helluva drug :lol:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Has their psychedelic influence ever been confirmed?

I remember reading something around the time Intrinsic came out that they were into DMT but that's it :lol:

All I can confirm is that their live show (at least on the recent tour with Tesseract) would be awesome tripping :yesway:

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember reading something around the time Intrinsic came out that they were into DMT but that's it :lol:

All I can confirm is that their live show (at least on the recent tour with Tesseract) would be awesome tripping :yesway:

Do you have a source? I can't find this anywhere :(

frvst

Reaction score
On a side note about Exoplanet, did anyone else here pick up the remaster they did? I got mine in yesterday and besides adding some new piano and synth parts in some spots it seems like they just made everything a bit louder except the vocals, anyone else feel the same?
The drums are pretty different as well. They have that signature Jamie King punchy sound. Really dig the synths and keys they added, though. Sounds like a new album at times :hbang:

anomynous

Reaction score
The download it comes with is only 160kbps. Wtf, why the garbage quality?

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I don't want to have to re-buy Language to get the Rediscovered tracks unfortunately. They're incredible though, I love listening to them. I think no matter what they do I'm going to end up loving it, I enjoy all of their albums, Exoplanet being one of the best metal albums ever for me.

I've seen them live twice and it's an experience, even during the heavy songs I don't want to mosh, I just want to watch them play. And get really high. ;)

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
Thoughts on the Exoplanet remix? For me, it's really brought a new appreciation for the record. I had no problems with the original mix by Ken Susi, but the fact that more of the low end of the bass guitar is actually audible has made it much more enjoyable. Listening to it now, I'm catching much more of the mathy nuances of the rhythms and the subtle flourishes (pun) on the bass.

I've always found it interesting that people didn't like how Intrinsic strayed from the "deathcore" of Exoplanet. If you ask me, the only thing "deathcore" about Exoplanet is the chugs, and even those are almost too mathematical to be straight DxC.

Anyway, considering this record is about 6 years old now, I have to say it's aged really well and the remix has helped.

Fingers crossed for a Jamie King Intrinsic remix!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Yeah i have been finding missed nuances on every instrument. Which is amazing to me because i have heard this album more then any album in my life haha.

Reaction score
I think the remix was completely un-needed. Some of the new synth parts they added are kinda cool I guess but its not like they're making the album a completely different listening experience. To me it just sounded like they made everything louder except the vocals, in some spots its much more difficult to hear what hes saying since everything else is burying it in the mix. Some spots do benefit from the remix tho. I'm just glad they didn't ruin the spacey breakdown that happens about a minute into Expire:yesway:

partialdeafness

Reaction score
Anyone got a ticket to the Middle East show friday for sale? Was not expecting that to sell out so fast.

Reaction score
sorry for zombie thread but i've been listening to Intrinsic again, and i'm trying to figure out cortical. does anyone know the 3rd open chord at around 3:20? one of my favorite open chords of all time.

rocky0

Reaction score
Love this band. Hard to choose my fav album by them 'cos all of them are equally awesome in their own unique ways.

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
Just got to see these guys in Nashville last night and they killed it. Can't wait to hear the new material that's coming soon.

CGrant109

Reaction score
Curious if they've been playing any new material on their current tour?

')