The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Honestly, after listening to the direction they took the songs on Language: Rediscovered, this is exactly the type of song I was expecting they would release. I really, really hope the album still delivers in the heavy department & isn't just a bunch of this the whole time. That being said, I like this song well enough.

toolsound

Reaction score
This kind of fissure happens all the time - a band starts out with one sound and then changes until they eventually divide their fan base between those who love the old or new sound.

I fully anticipated the band taking this direction after the success of Language, and to be honest, I love it. As a metal fan who has somewhat grown out of the endless "heavy/screamy" stuff out there, I find this extremely refreshing. And ultimately, I don't really care whether or not a band settles on a particular sound. Whatever sound they choose, I just want it to make me feel something and Reimagined does exactly that.

All of that said, this is only one track off the new album and other tracks could sound entirely different. In any case, I can't wait to hear more and I'm excited for the band. I think they're really finding themselves and are destined for greater success, which they deserve.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
As an example of the single-not-representative-of-the-album idea, I think of The Brain Dance. Definitely a theme common in prog.

cip 123

Reaction score
I love the new song, though am I the only one curious about the song being called "reimagined" and the first video they've released about the new album has the big "language" logo in the background?

elnyrb10

fly you fools
Reaction score
This kind of fissure happens all the time - a band starts out with one sound and then changes until they eventually divide their fan base between those who love the old or new sound.

I fully anticipated the band taking this direction after the success of Language, and to be honest, I love it. As a metal fan who has somewhat grown out of the endless "heavy/screamy" stuff out there, I find this extremely refreshing. And ultimately, I don't really care whether or not a band settles on a particular sound. Whatever sound they choose, I just want it to make me feel something and Reimagined does exactly that.

All of that said, this is only one track off the new album and other tracks could sound entirely different. In any case, I can't wait to hear more and I'm excited for the band. I think they're really finding themselves and are destined for greater success, which they deserve.

This. so much of this. Amen sir

Tr3vor

Reaction score
This song gets a big fat "meh" from me, hopefully the rest is better. I didn't like language reimagined that much either though, so maybe contortionist is just falling off my radar. At least I'll have intrinsic I guess.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Such a crazy dope song. Can't wait for the rest.

Reminds me of when old school 70s prog bands decided to throw down and write radio friendly music. Certainly turned out better than Sikth's latest, absolutely horrific attempt at writing prog-nu-metal

fabriarockz

Lefty! What the Fur?
Reaction score
Hey guys,
did someone in the world have been able to get the intrinsic deluxe edition iTunes booklet?
That's the only reason I bought intrinsic on iTunes in the first place, and to not be able to download it it's straight out frustrating.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score

This will always be their best work to me. But I honestly enjoy the new single a lot. I didn't really get into Language, but this is doing it for me.

Reaction score

This will always be their best work to me. But I honestly enjoy the new single a lot. I didn't really get into Language, but this is doing it for me.

i forgot about this. they sound fundamentally different now....:erk:

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score

Damn dude, I consider myself a fan of The Contortionist and I always thought Apparition was their first recording. This is pretty brutal, and I love how Nonmanual Dexterity is Flourish in its infancy. Thanks for sharing this, man.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Really liking the new the tracks from Clairvoyant. Absolve is great. Reimagined is great.

It’s refreshing to have more non screamy, less aggressive stuff in the current metal scene. I wonder if the whole album will have no screaming similar to Tesseracts Altered State.

It would be interesting in my opinion if the whole album kept a similar non aggressive vibe like Absolve and Reimagine.

Big_taco

Reaction score
Really digging the direction they are going in. Language was cool but was a bit tiring for me to listen to. This sounds really focused and it's cool to see the turn toward a more "rock" sound.

Reaction score

meh
have a feeling this album is gonna hardcore disappoint me

cip 123

Reaction score
Love the new Return to Earth song. I don't get the "I want screams" comments from people, to me the unsettling harmonies towards the end have just as much impact if not more than any aggressive screams. I'm very excited for this album.

')