The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

habicore_5150

El Psy Congroove
Reaction score
The new Within The Ruins album is pretty damn awesome too.

it is, Molotov Solution plays Dropped G (recorded Harbringer with 6 strings in Dropped G), dunno if they switched to 7s now

anyways, moving back
to the guy who said something about The Contortionist being like a heavier BTBAM, guessing i wasnt the only one who had a small BTBAM comparison going

after hearing Exoplanet, i thought the Contortionist was like BTBAM being abducted by aliens

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I hear the BTBAM influence in the melodic, proggy sections, but not in the rhythm... the rhythmic stuff is more Meshuggah worship all the way... although a bit on the slow side most of the time.

The influences I hear are Sikth (especially in the beginning of Flourish), Meshuggah (most of the rhythmic stuff), BTBAM/Cynic (melodic, proggy leads), and various post-rock bands (a lot of the clean, ambient sections could come straight from a band like Explosions in the Sky or Godspeed You Black Emperor)

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Been listening to this non-stop in my car. It keeps getting better. So far, the stand-out for me is Contact. What a track! :bowdown:

Reaction score
This cd combines two of my favorite things, down tuned metal and space. How can you go wrong. I loved the addition of the transmission from contact. I love metal has a dreamy, progish bent. They even described the final 3 songs as a single piece that sonically depicted a journey into space to another planet. So awesome.

What is their gear set up looking like?

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I wonder if their singer likes tommy rogers? Anyway, good stuff.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I can't wait to see these guys live, the performance looks ridiculous!

hxcdeathcore

Reaction score
Well I saw the Contortionist a few hours ago and it was a great show. They played every song perfectly and it was an amazing show. I was right in front of them and managed to remember some of the gear they had. If anybodies interested..

-Both guitarist and bassist had ibanez guitars and basses, not sure what model. 5 string bass and I think they used 7 and 6 strings.
-bassist had a rack and I couldn't see anything in it but the ampeg 8x10

-One guitarist had a Carvin V3 through a mesa rectifier cab, he was on the far side so I couldn't see his pedalboard

-Other guitarist had a triple rectifier through a mesa rectifier cab. Pedals I can remember are
-ISP decimator
-some sort of wah
-Boss TU3
-Ibanez ts9
-Some chorus pedal(most likely boss)
-Boss Equalizer
-more boss pedals(are they endorsed?)

Yeah thats all I can remember. They put on a great show only thing I disliked is they didn't play Flourish but oh well.

vanhalen83

Reaction score
Gah, I've been freaking out about wanting to learn their stuff because i thought they started rockin 8 strings. To whomever said that their EP is in drop A, I thank you, my life is complete.

musikizlife

TCM Softhands
Reaction score
yeah man, if you look at their studio footage on youtube, i'm pretty sure i saw 6 string ibanez S series.

Absolutely in my top 3 bands right now
cant get enough of exoplanet

oNATEo

Reaction score
anybody listen to these guys?
if so how about recommend some bands
i probubly havent heard like them.

some technical progressive metal.

peace friends

TheDjentlman

User name = Regret
Reaction score
Some bands that might catch your interest might be : Volumes, Adaliah, Your Memorial, Animals as Leaders, Periphery, and Structures. Hope you enjoy these bands as much as I!

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
The Faceless, if you haven't heard them already.
Obscura, Within the Ruins, and as mentioned above, Animals as Leaders

welcome to ss.org man :wavey:

kevyp12

Reaction score
elitist, btbam, veil of maya, born of osiris, after the burial, beneath the massacre, fleshwrought, the human abstract, permillisecond, sumatra, thy art is murder

Reaction score
Within the Ruins definitely. Same tuning, but faster paced and more shreddy instead of atmospheric like The Contortionist. Both bands are awesome though.

')