The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am very new here, so I figured I would go about introducing myself through the music I am involved with.

Our name is "A Thing About Machines". We are a progressive metal band out of Macomb, Michigan. Our sound compares to and ranges from bands such as Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, The Contortionist, and Explosions in the sky.

Our influences are another story, but ill save you the read. Here is some of our music:

Youtube:

Facebook: A Thing About Machines | Facebook

We're currently finishing off the writing for our first ever EP, and hopefully releasing it through a label that I unfortunately cannot share with you all just yet :/

Anyways, let me know what you think of our music, all questions as well as criticism is encouraged! Take care everyone, hope you enjoy!

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Awesome music man, especially that first song. Some clean singing in there would of been the icing on the cake though.

Anyways, Welcome to SSO!

Kirk

Reaction score
Awesome music man, especially that first song. Some clean singing in there would of been the icing on the cake though.

Anyways, Welcome to SSO!

Thanks man! Glad to be here:)

And cleans are something I have been considering for the EP. And to anyone thinking they might ruin the song(s), they won't, I promise. Think along the lines of BTBAM/Contortionist cleans.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
I really liked the 1st song. I agree with the comment on some cleaner vocals might be nice to break it up abit. The 2nd song did nothing for me to be honest. It just sounded like alot of chuggy breakdown songs that lots of other bands are doing these days. 3rd song was interesting and alot different from what I was expecting after listening to the other songs. Kinda a quiet interlude song.

So it seems like you guys atleast have some variety to your sound.

Some people may not agree with me but I really dig what The Faceless did with "Eidolon Reality" for mixing in a catchy clean chorus. I think something along that line would sound great in your 1st track.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I really liked the 1st song. I agree with the comment on some cleaner vocals might be nice to break it up abit. The 2nd song did nothing for me to be honest. It just sounded like alot of chuggy breakdown songs that lots of other bands are doing these days. 3rd song was interesting and alot different from what I was expecting after listening to the other songs. Kinda a quiet interlude song.

Some people may not agree with me but I really dig what The Faceless did with "Eidolon Reality" for mixing in a catchy clean chorus. I think something along that line would sound great in your 1st track.

I, for one, agree. :yesway:

Also for the high single note tremolo picked lines in your song, consider stacking more reverb on that guitar signal.
REVERB GOOOD

Chalupacabra

Reaction score
I think this is very cool stuff. I'm actually pretty excited to see what you guys do, and how you evolve.
Track 1: good stuff, interesting, groovy, nice melody and tone in lead guitar, nice high screams.
Track 2: still good not as interesting but it shows that you can keep up with the modern scene if you want to.
Track 3: modern scene shmodern scene. Unexpected and jealousy inducing, caused sense memory.
In short, I will buy your stuff when it's done.

Kirk

Reaction score

I can definitely see what you mean about the second track, although i'm not sure if you listened to the whole thing. Skip ahead to 2:51 in it, and listen from there. I'm confident it will change your mind on the overall feel of the track.

Also, to everyone else, thank you very much, I appreciate the kind words:)

Kirk

Reaction score
Also, i'm potentially looking for a guitarist, and am for sure trying out drummers, if anyone is interested.

grants

Reaction score
This is some good music, and I don't say that about much. I feel that it is authentic and creative, and I like it. Very melodic, very pretty, very good. What else can be said?

I'm so glad that this is a refreshing listen to my ears amongst so much metal / heavy music that has become generic, cookie cutter, soul-less 'music.'

Bravo.

grants

Reaction score
On a side note, was learning the lead riff at the very end of "Nightmare in 4D" last night and was wondering how you could possibly get that sweeping riff so clean. Then I thought to myself, try tapping it instead, and of course, it is much cleaner.

Was wondering, just out of curiosity, did you do the latter or the former on the recording?

Kirk

Reaction score
On a side note, was learning the lead riff at the very end of "Nightmare in 4D" last night and was wondering how you could possibly get that sweeping riff so clean. Then I thought to myself, try tapping it instead, and of course, it is much cleaner.

Was wondering, just out of curiosity, did you do the latter or the former on the recording?

Hey dude, Thank you! very, very flattering to me that you even took the time to learn something of ours! In the recording itself is not tapped fully, they are regular old sweeps with the exception of a tap for the highest note in the sweep. We actually have a play-through video for that song with a link to download tabs if you wanted to check it out:

Kirk

Reaction score
Awesome music man, especially that first song.
songht2.jpg
songgd.jpg

12.jpg

Thanks! Your image links are broken though good sir.

Latest posts

')