The "Controversial" Metal drummer thread

• Thread starter ImBCRichBitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Alright, There are some awesome drummers out there. Haake from Meshuggah. Peart from Rush. Alex VH from Van Halen. Lombardo, Portnoy, and even Kerch. But to me theres 2 out there that take the cake. Joey Jordison and Jimmy The Rev Sullivan. Joey's got the speed while Jimmy's got the complexity. But when it all comes down to it, Who is the best metal drummer?

Note: I didnt mention Peter Criss or Mick Fleetwood because they are considered Classic in my book. And Ginger Fish isnt really metal, more like industrial.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chronocide

Total Grind Hell
Reaction score
I've seen Slipknot a few times, always though Jordison's playing was a mess. He just can't keep up with himself. I've thought the same of Chris Adler too, actually. Both really sloppy when I've seen them all four or five times each.

Plenty of the big red Pro Tools de-shitter button on their albums, I suspect.

I should maybe note, I quite like sloppiness, Mick Harris is my favourite metal drummer I think and he's always got that vibe like everything is about to fall to pieces. But in certain bands it obviously needs to be right on the button, and I don't think either of those two are.

Tranquilliser

Reaction score
Just imo, but I don't see what most people see (saw?) in Jimmy Sullivan.
Joey Jordison is pretty good, but I can't comment on his live playing.

My favourite drummers after seeing them live - (in no order) - Mike Portnoy (if you want to hear brilliant drumming, listen to Falling into Infinity), Shannon Lucas (The Black Dahlia Murder albums Nocturnal and Deflorate showcase him brilliantly) and Gene Hoglan (Dethklok and Strapping Young Lad > Fear Factory drumming)

Infinite Recursion

Reaction score
You mention Haake and Peart but you say the best complex metal drummer is the dude from Avenged Sevenfold? And Slipcock's 18th drummer has the speed? How about George Kollias or Inferno?

aeronaut

Reaction score
Jean-Francois (JF) Richard of Ion Dissonance and Danny Carey of Tool. I've seen both live and both are insane.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I've always admired The Rev's drumming, even before his death. He really brought something interesting to the genre filled with rather generic drummers.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
Listing Joey Jordison and the Rev as the best metal drummers makes me wonder if you've ever actually listened to metal.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Dave Lombardo and Paul Bostaph IMO.

Also includes everyone else who's sat behind the kit for Testament. Including Louie Clement, even if he was the weakest in terms of ability, he has a great feel in his playing.

Adari

Beethoven Pwns All
Reaction score
This thread has a serious and dangerous lack of Martin Lopez.
lopez.jpg

My favourite drummer (except for Haake of course, who transcends all possible degrees of awesome).

I feel like the OP must be trolling; I don't understand how anyone could possible rate the Rev or Joey over Lopez, Haake, Hoglan, Kollias, Menza, Hannes Grossman (or hundreds of other great metal drummers) in terms of speed, creativity and musicality, and that's coming from a big Slipknot fan.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
The thing of both (Rev and Joridson) is that they HAD a quite unique sound to them, i liked jordisons earlier playing because he did not focus much on "keeping the broove" but instead used fills and ruffs creatively to emphasize different parts in the music, and rev was a pretty awesome drummer, just listening to him brought a smile to your face because he did not overplay but every here and there it just gets that notch of "awesome".

Whilst i second Haake, Kollias is for me maybe the drummer-version of Chris Broderick... pretty awesome but so painfully generic, so in terms of creativity (which is more than not the main quality of a musician, look at the jack white thread) i would definately rank The Reverend over a lot of others named, whilst i cannot say the same for Joey because he just lost its Edge on the last Records

ZEBOV

Banned
Reaction score
Morgan Rose. Something about his live playing is just.... unhuman. He's more technical (that does NOT mean fast), and he's doing just as much PERFORMING on drums as he is playing them.
EDIT: Why the hell did I post this?

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
I can only say,

Joey Jordinson is too drumming as Alex Gregory/Maestro Alex Gregory/Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory is too the Sevenstring Guitar.

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
You want to think Kollias is generic with his blast beats and extreme drumming, but you can't. I watch drum covers and watch Kollias play alot but it never seems to be the same things twice.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
This thread has a serious and dangerous lack of Martin Lopez.
My favourite drummer (except for Haake of course, who transcends all possible degrees of awesome).
Martin is an awesome drummer, he actually slipped my mind at the time i posted this.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I can only say,

Joey Jordinson is too drumming as Alex Gregory/Maestro Alex Gregory/Douchebag Maestro Alex Gregory is too the Sevenstring Guitar.
I disagree. Joey has been complemented by several drummers for his speed. The only thing that gets me is that he only actually uses half of his kit.

')