The CORONER Thread

• Thread starter Into Obsidian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
Sorry if this is old or nobody cares... but c'mon lets give it up to Coroner! Since their reuniting we have been blessed with their newly formed presence! Please discuss recent shows, favorite songs/albums/memories/news
Saw them at Maryland Death Fest and they by far stole the show.
:yesway::scream:
Tommy T Baron is one of my top 5. Their nack for songwriting is truly remarkable.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

decypher

Reaction score
Definitely one of the best and consistent bands of the 80s/90s prog/tech thrash movement, extremely tight band and great musicians. My favorite album probably is Mental Vortex (although "Last Entertainment" is their best party song :hbang:). I did get to see them live in 1990, unfortunately their support was WatchTower so I really didn't care much for what happened on stage after they played :lol: .

I would really, really like to see (hear) a new album but afaik they aren't too sold on writing/recording a new one.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
into obsidian has had the best avatars for a while now.

no more color is easily in my top 5 thrash metal albums ever.

Dcr

Reaction score
Easily one of the best thrash metal band of all times. Mental vortex and No More Color are THE tech-thrash metal albums :agreed:

I still don't understand why they are so underrated...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No More Color and Mental Vortex are two of my favorite albums, period. These guys went over a lot of the thrashers' heads, unfortunately. :(

I hate to say this, but MDF was pretty underwhelming. Then again, I got to see them before drugs destroyed Marky.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I enjoy them, I recognize why they are so well liked, but I still feel as though they don't meet the hype.

I've always liked the intro to this song :yesway:

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
from what I heard they were a little worse for wear, especially the drummer who was barely keeping up. which is understandable after not playing for so long. It's pretty complex thrash, not ac/dc.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity: was it the set-list you didn't like or was the playing itself not good?

Marky (the drummer) was pretty weak, and it cause some setlist choices that I was less than thrilled with. Even people that were with me that had not seen them before were less than impressed with them as a unit, despite Ron's excellent performance and Tommy being, well, Tommy.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
from what I heard they were a little worse for wear, especially the drummer who was barely keeping up. which is understandable after not playing for so long. It's pretty complex thrash, not ac/dc.

Marky (the drummer) was pretty weak, and it cause some setlist choices that I was less than thrilled with. Even people that were with me that had not seen them before were less than impressed with them as a unit, despite Ron's excellent performance and Tommy being, well, Tommy.

That's too bad that Marky is not back in shape. I watched some interviews on YT and he said he hadn't even played drums at all since the band quit in the 90ies, so that kind of explains. Still, I would have hoped they'd prepare and rehearse very well for the reunion gigs.

Into Obsidian

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
Reaction score
No More Color and Mental Vortex are two of my favorite albums, period. These guys went over a lot of the thrashers' heads, unfortunately. :(

I hate to say this, but MDF was pretty underwhelming. Then again, I got to see them before drugs destroyed Marky.
I didnt know Marky was on drugs?! I thought they all were sober! Tell me more about that

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
I got to se them at Hellfest, and my only complaint (except for the fact that they played everything in C# standard I think) was that Marky seemed to be... not playing a lot of the subtleties of some songs. Like certain bass drum or snare patterns. He was playing the basic rythm alright, but I know the songs so well that the fact that he didn't play them 100% like on the record was a little dissapointing (even though Tommy and Ron nailed every note).

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's always time to appreciate Coroner, as far as I'm concerned. Top five thrash album for sure (although the other four change around a lot:lol:).

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didnt know Marky was on drugs?! I thought they all were sober! Tell me more about that

They're all sober now, but his drug use in the past (and lack of playing) apparently took it's toll on him.

')