The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Paul Masvidal on Cynic Break-Up: "This is All News to Me" - MetalSucks

So... Uh... We're witnessing the beginning of band drama.

Dear fans and friends, this is all news to me. I just landed from Japan and my inbox was exploding. Sean didn't confer with myself or Malone about Cynic's official breakup or the tour being cancelled. I'm honestly somewhat relieved it's finally over since it's been quite challenging over the years but I'm also trying to figure out how to possibly salvage this tour (with a new drummer) since the damage he's causing by pulling out at this last minute is inconceivable for me at the moment. Please share this message with friends or fans as Sean has taken me off our FB page so I can't access it at the moment. Love to you all. I apologize for the drama...but sometimes life gets messy.

If this is all true, then yeah, Sean's being a prick here.
EDIT:

P.S. Cynic will continue one way or another.

EDIT:

12009685_10207239999865717_2816578049402930086_n.jpg

I'm guessing this was deleted.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score

cip 123

Reaction score
I would've thought Sean and Paul would be pretty close friendship wise what with coming out publicly and stuff, but Sean did say they've been friends since kids so he could just be fed up.

That said Paul seems like a pretty chill dude, bit wacky but chill. And Sean seems chill too, no idea whats going on.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Man, they could have bowed down gracefully... instead, we're getting this.

Instead of playing into the "tit for tat" game of trying to defend any accusations of unscrupulous behavior on my part, with regards to the split of Cynic (Paul and I: Two people, Not three) would be childish. But he's caught in a lie below saying he can't post and I took over the page which is obviously not true. I'll leave it at that. I can't stop Paul from playing CYNIC's music with other musicians, but it won't be CYNIC, merely Paul playing CYNIC songs with hired guns, which as stated he's wanted for a while. This isn't the way I wanted things to work out.
-Sean

12010743_10153637882514936_493737453167119708_o.jpg

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
WTF guys.

While I love this band and their music I kinda feel like Masividal could be hard to work with. Chill as .... (or at least he was when I met him) but all that hippy, alien, love everyone, and fondle your khakras stuff gets really annoying. I dunno if the rest of the band is like that.

This is so dumb. Metal drama is supposed to be like when Brent Hinds got wasted tried to fight System of a Down, not this high school teenage girl bull.....

Wait, he tried to fight the whole band? I thought he just tried to fight the bass player with the creepy beard and got knocked the .... out. Whole band is way coller :lol: :metal:

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
This whole ordeal is pretty disheartening. I don't know what to even believe now.

Sean Reinert is one of my biggest drumming inspirations ever. If he really just up and quit without warning, ditching the band mid-tour, I would feel like I lost respect for him. But obviously, with all of this back and forth tripe going on, I don't know what to believe yet. I'm not drawing any conclusions yet. I really hope Sean isn't being a jerk...

Static

Reaction score
I knew this year lacked a little E-Drama and was expecting one to pop up soon, but i wasn't expecting it to come from Cynic.As much as i would love for the band to go on, i cant imagine Cynic without Paul or Sean.I hope this gets sorted out offline, I don't want all this E-drama to leave a sour aftertaste the next time i listen to Focus or TIA.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There's something I'm curious about, and I've seen some people point this out...

Why are the avatars different on the page Sean posted? Sean used to have that avatar, Landon currently has that one, and I've never seen Paul with that avatar. I've never ran a FB page so I got no clue if they should be different or not. If they're not supposed to be different, then someone on the Cynic page is pulling a fast one.

bhakan

Reaction score
There's something I'm curious about, and I've seen some people point this out...

Why are the avatars different on the page Sean posted? Sean used to have that avatar, Landon currently has that one, and I've never seen Paul with that avatar. I've never ran a FB page so I got no clue if they should be different or not. If they're not supposed to be different, then someone on the Cynic page is pulling a fast one.
The avatars should be your current avatar, however, when looking for Paul Masvidal's facebook, all I could find was a Paul Masvidal band page, not his personal account, so that could very well be the profile picture for his personal facebook account.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The avatars should be your current avatar, however, when looking for Paul Masvidal's facebook, all I could find was a Paul Masvidal band page, not his personal account, so that could very well be the profile picture for his personal facebook account.

Nah, his personal FB avatar is a shot of him with his Strandberg. I looked around and couldn't find any other avatar that matched that one.

bhakan

Reaction score
Nah, his personal FB avatar is a shot of him with his Strandberg. I looked around and couldn't find any other avatar that matched that one.

https://www.facebook.com/paulmasvidal
This one?

If so, while I may be wrong, note that it says "Musician/Band" and you can like the page, where a personal account you would be able to friend request. This is a band page for Paul Masvidal, I think he probably has a personal account that's probably set to be private. That account would be the Admin on the Cynic page.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't know, because it looks like Sean's page, which is also a band page, is also an admin.

Unless he uses a different avatar then, then I dunno again. :lol:

bhakan

Reaction score
But again, Sean's Admin page has a different profile picture then his band page. I can confirm from my band's facebook page that when I view that same screen of admin's, it shows all of our current fb profile pictures. It makes sense that both Sean and Paul have personal facebook profiles which are private and then use band pages of themselves to act as their media presence on facebook.

Just as further evidence, look at Misha's facebook https://www.facebook.com/misha.mansoor

You can add him as a friend and the address is formatted "facebook.com/firstname.lastname", his is a personal account. Pauls is "facebook.com/bandname" (no "." to separate the first and last name) and can't be added as a friend. This a band page, which also has an admin(s). The admin for this account would be the personal account, which is probably kept private to keep fans out of his personal business.

TL;DR: I don't think there's anything suspect about that post Sean made.

theFraz

Reaction score
sad.
They will make new music but I would liked to see one another Cynic show with Cynic music.

speaking about other projects, I loved the first Aghora with Malone and Reinert

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Sucks they are fighting over this. I have (had?) a ticket to see them in about a month too :(

')