The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
The only one coming off as a d*ick in this is Sean, yet he's the one comparing Cynic to an abusive relationship. This whole thing is just weird, they all seem so chill.

I dunno man, I kinda feel like everyone is coming off badly because they let it get to a point where it was all over the interwebs.

Leave your dirty laundry at home I say.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
nah

halford-600x600.jpg

I raise your Halford with Sabaton without pics :lol:

cip 123

Reaction score
I dunno man, I kinda feel like everyone is coming off badly because they let it get to a point where it was all over the interwebs.

Leave your dirty laundry at home I say.

Well Sean Malone is staying out of it so thats cool.

But Reinart must've waited till Paul was in the air to make the announcement?

I can see if Paul had trouble logging in to his account he could think the worst that Seans taken him off the page.

IMO you raise it with your band and label and all that first before even making an announcement. Sean just up and posted about it. It puts everyone in a bad light just because someones emotions are high.

Btw I'm not taking sides here just what I can see, sucks all round I love cynic.

efx1138

Reaction score
They didn't leave Death on a bad note. If they did, doing the DTA tours would have been done in extremely bad taste.

Chuck was only hard to work with if you didn't realize that it was HIS band.

Check out more about the song though - it's written for Paul.

Thing is, I'm having a hard time finding any sources that confirm it's about him that isn't just fans like us discussing it on different boards like this.

Has anyone that was actually close or in the band at some point talked about this?

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Well Sean Malone is staying out of it so thats cool.

But Reinart must've waited till Paul was in the air to make the announcement?

I can see if Paul had trouble logging in to his account he could think the worst that Seans taken him off the page.

IMO you raise it with your band and label and all that first before even making an announcement. Sean just up and posted about it. It puts everyone in a bad light just because someones emotions are high.

Btw I'm not taking sides here just what I can see, sucks all round I love cynic.

Yeah good point about Malone.

I see what you're saying, but the thing is people generally remember the worst. So I mean I don't think anyone who is in the band who comments is going to come up smelling roses, baring Malone if he just stays quiet.

Even then there may be back lash i.e.: he stayed in Paul's camp blah blah.

But hey the music industry is tough, thats why I got out. Good friend can end up hating each other after a project.

For me Cynic was focus, Traced in Air did nothing for me and I didnt even bother listening to Kindly Bent to Free us. If the comments I saw about it being like Aeon spoke were true then I'm glad I didnt.

cip 123

Reaction score
Yeah good point about Malone.

I see what you're saying, but the thing is people generally remember the worst. So I mean I don't think anyone who is in the band who comments is going to come up smelling roses, baring Malone is he just stays quiet.

Even then there may be back lash i.e.: he stayed in Paul's camp blah blah.

But hey the music industry is tough, thats why I got out. Good friend can end up hating each other after a project.

For me Cynic was focus, Traced in Air did nothing for me and I didnt even bother listening to Kindly Bent to Free us. If the comments I saw about it being like Aeon spoke were true then I'm glad I didnt.

Yea its not good for anyone really. I still don't understand why Sean made it so public yet left out details if he's going to do that. Could've spoken to a manager or label and said he's leaving and it would be much less drama. It is a tough industry thats why it's important to try and stay calm which I don't think Sean has done.

Traced in air was my favourite and Focus is great, the new one I like if I'm in the mood for it,

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
Thing is, I'm having a hard time finding any sources that confirm it's about him that isn't just fans like us discussing it on different boards like this.

Has anyone that was actually close or in the band at some point talked about this?
Support music, not rumors.

TerminalFunction

Reaction score
Sad to hear they're apparently splitting up (or something) and what they're doing on Facebook is plain weird.

I caught them in Stockholm in 2009 when they were opening for Opeth (should have been the other way around) and got to talk with Paul afterwards and he signed my copy of Traced in Air. Really nice chap, hanging around in the bar for hours after the show, talking to fans.

Their latest album didn't really do it for me but I love Traced and Focus was a huge inspiration back in the day when we started up the band.

pylyo

Reaction score
Damn, they were supposed to gig over here in Ljubljana in less than a month...

aesthyrian

Reaction score

Nope, it's on the internet and metal forums so it has to be true, also Chuck is a "god" and can do no wrong. :lol:

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
For the unenlightened, can someone explain?

Here is how I think it works:

Tymon, now in Exivious (he also has an account here on 7string so he might pop in to explain it himself if we're lucky) was in Cynic for a while after their comeback. He plays guitar on TiA. Apparently as he hints, him and Robin both left after TiA, perhaps because Paul was difficult to work with for some reason.

Then he links a song called The Philosopher on the Death album "Individual Thought Patterns" saying karma is a bitch.

So some background info first:

Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert were in Death, alongside Chuck, back in the early 90's (90-92 or something) especially for the album Human that came before Individual Thought Patterns. On ITP Chuck replaced Paul with Andy Larocque and Sean Reinert with Gene Hoglan. Why I don't know, but here is a clue, albeit far-fetched (so take it as you take any other wild guess from someone on the internet):

Chuck was perhaps tired of Paul and it would make sense that Sean would tag along with Masvidal if he left (they're buddies since childhood).

Now, read the lyrics to the Philosopher, the closing track on ITP, and bear in mind that Masvidal, who has come out now (so has Sean) but maybe hadn't then, is gay, and was perhaps a bit to "spaced out" for Chuck's taste and that might be the reason Chuck ended their work relationship:

Especially the ending part of the lyrics, that go:

Your mind is not your own
What sounds more mentally
Stimulating is how you make your choice
So you preach about how I'm supposed to be
Yet you don't you know your own sexuality

Lies
Feed your judgement of others
Behold
How the blind lead each other

The philosopher
You know so much about nothing at all

maybe the song is about Paul Masvidal and how Chuck got tired of working with him, Tymon knew all this, Chuck fired Paul, Tymon and Paul in Cynic parted ways possibly for sour reasons and now Sean left Paul = Karma is a bitch.

Some assumptions made to get across the road here but that's what popped into my head when I read it :D

I might be completely wrong, mind you lol

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I always thought Paul was this super-chill hippy dude...

But he's one of the few people that pissed off Chuck?

Dude, holy ..... :ugh:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I always thought Paul was this super-chill hippy dude...

But he's one of the few people that pissed off Chuck?

Dude, holy ..... :ugh:

I think everyone is looking into the lyrics a bit too much. The lyric about sexuality in The Philosopher may have been about Paul but from what I've understood their relationship was fairly friendly after Death and Chuck encouraged Cynic. Not everything said about Chuck is positive either :shrug:

Plus, if that line is truly about Paul then that's an extremely ....ed up thing to write. You don't out people like that :noway:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
I think everyone is looking into the lyrics a bit too much. The lyric about sexuality in The Philosopher may have been about Paul but from what I've understood their relationship was fairly friendly after Death and Chuck encouraged Cynic. Not everything said about Chuck is positive either :shrug:

Plus, if that line is truly about Paul then that's an extremely ....ed up thing to write. You don't out people like that :noway:
I am pretty sure it probably isn't about Paul, tbh. And I am not defending Chuck if it is about Paul but... 1993 was a waaaaaaaaay different time than now. I know it doesn't seem like it. But things have changed an incredible amount since then and a line like that would, and did go unnoticed and I am pretty confident that it would be a line (if about Paul) Chuck would not write today.

Back to the topic...

My thoughts on cynic haven't changed since hearing Focus for the first time. That album changed my life. I haven't listened to it for years but it still has a profound effect on how I listen, and play music. Traced in Air was alright. The EP and Kindly Bent seem to be Paul solo efforts, and no offense to Paul but none of his "solo" efforts were worth listening to. As a songwriter myself it is sometimes hard to understand that you need another point of view involved in the songwriting process to get the most out of your songs. Paul seems to have never learned that lesson.

Hopefully Sean and Sean can find projects more worth their talents at this point.

')