The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anomynous

Reaction score
I don't know if anybody saw the now deleted post from this morning on the Cynic page, but Sean implied Paul screwed over Max Phelps in some way. Kinda curious to know what happened, because it would explain why all of the sudden they went from four piece to three piece live.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Have you guys listened to the MetalSucks podcast, interviewing Sean Reinert?

#114.75: Exclusive Interview with ex-Cynic Drummer Sean Reinert on Band Split - MetalSucks

It's a really good podcast, and in my opinion it clears the air a bit about what's going on. Sean basically did it out of the necessity of preserving his personal health and sanity, and I can completely understand that. Surrounding yourself with negativity and a toxic work environment isn't good for anyone, especially as you grow older and advance in your career, AND especially since he has been recovering from bad drinking habits, and improving his overall health. He said in the podcast that he has been hitting it hard on eating better and losing weight, trying to better himself.

Should this have been aired in the public? No, I don't think so. That could have been handled better. But the evidence against Paul gives me the general consensus that Paul drove him away with his actions, as well as Tymon and Simon. I can't speak too far on that, obviously, since I don't know any of them personally. Tymon also has confirmed that The Philosopher is definitely about Paul, 100%.

With all that said, I encourage you guys to listen to this podcast. I feel that it helps clear up the situation a bit. He also goes a bit in depth on the business side of Cynic, and how that came to be a bit nasty. Sean may not have handled it completely professionally, but I honestly can't blame him nonetheless.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
It's more like

Tymon also has fueled the rumor that The Philosopher is definitely about Paul, 100%.

But yeah - The podcast does a great job of sharing Reinert's side of the story. That bit at the end where he entertained the idea that maybe he was the more difficult one to work with gives us a starting point for Masvidal's side of things.

I don't think anyone's denying that Reinert escalated the situation into a public calling-out of Masvidal as a musician, businessman, and serviceman to their fanbase. With that, any chance of the matter being resolved privately with an apology may have gone out the window; as Masvidal may feel that Reinert has put him in a position of having to publicly apologize for the sake of enticing Reinert to honor the remaining tour dates.

The bit about all the career-spanning Cynic footage possibly not seeing the light of day now was a low blow to the fans, though - I wish he wouldn't have mentioned that.

isomorphic

Banned
Reaction score
It's crazy how Paul comes across as this holy, free-spirit enlightened dude but all this evidence contradicts that perception.

Even Tymon, who comes across as another "chill" dude took a shot at him.

Would enjoy hearing stories of Paul being a diva tbh.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd really like to see Paul's full size of the story at this point. As like many of you, I was under the impression that he is a person that has reached full inner peace and enlightenment. But maybe that's just his persona to the fans. In a personal work environment, he could be a total douche. Who knows?

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I take your Hallford, AND your Sabaton and I raise you Manowar!

With pics :D

As things are going, if you put silent pics, you win...if Reineart keeps speaking...no one else can win.
He's putting out such a shameless hysteric drama that is incredible.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
What the hell is up with these godlike perceptions of both Chuck and Paul?

They are just people with flaws like the rest of us. Why is it that Paul is held to some unreasonable standard just because he meditates or something? :spock:

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
IDK about Paul. I never thought very much about him since all of his projects tend to end badly.

As for Chuck... He is widely known as one of the nicest persons in metal history. Was he a saint? No. But he worked with a ton of people and they all loved him and tell great stories about him and I have honestly never heard a negative story about him.

Reaction score
It's sad, but I noticed, even as early as on Carbon-Based Anatomy, that Paul wanted the band to be more hippie and less fusion-y. Tymon saying he quit for "creative differences" or something like that, and seeing he made the super awesome, proggy, jazzy Exivious pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Kindly Bent to Free Us only put the last nail on the coffin for me. For me, TiA-era Cynic is the best one, even though Focus is a really close second. It's a shame that such a legendary act must come to an end, but I'm excited to see what projects the Sean's will do, and also where Paul will go musically, on his own.

In the end, I believe that Cynic was doomed and that only good will come out of their breakup. Every member will find or create a project or band they'll be comfortable with, and we will be the ones who, in the end, profit the most out of this because we get to hear new and amazing music, I'm sure.

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
He's putting out such a shameless hysteric drama that is incredible.

Im so glad someone said this. I know a lot of people like Cynic but this whole thing basically boils down to one of the most bitchy and whiney couple breakups since… well I don't even know. This one makes my last breakup (which was epicly messy) look like an after school special.

Take that podcast on metalsucks… it was painful, to the point where I only made it to 10min and was like NOPE.

Edit:
And the whole enlightened-meditation thing. Reality check people, as an academic who studies religions and lived in an eastern monastery on and off for 4 years and has done a lot of meditation himself… even monks who do that for +/- 4 hrs a day still have personalities, personalities that other people don't always get on with. Just because you meditate a lot doesn't mean you stop being human and don't do things that piss people off on occasion.

OK rant over.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
It's a shame that such a legendary act must come to an end
Things do come to an end.
It's natural.
But in my life I learnt that HOW everything end is more important than the WHEN and WHY.
And mostly, the less people you involve into things (fans included in this case), the better chances there will be to screw things up to uncanny levels.

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
That sucks. Traced in Air is one of the greatest albums ever. I don't like their newer stuff as much, but I still like it and I would have liked to see where they went next.

Dusty Chalk

Reaction score
I has a sad. Focus was always the go-to for technical metal. It was the blue print. It was the standard by which others were compared. I'm not saying there wasn't better, but it was the first that was head & shoulders more technical than just about anything else.

This whole social media thing is just retarded, though.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
This whole thing is a little too Miley versus Minaj. Stop being such wankers, boys.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Human, Focus, and Traced in Air are three of the best metal albums of all time. Sean and Paul always seemed like an awesome team, its a shame things ended like this. I will say that Kindly Bent to Free Us was... I won't say bad, because it isn't. But I strongly disliked it.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
IDK about Paul. I never thought very much about him since all of his projects tend to end badly.

As for Chuck... He is widely known as one of the nicest persons in metal history. Was he a saint? No. But he worked with a ton of people and they all loved him and tell great stories about him and I have honestly never heard a negative story about him.

Ex Pestilence Frontman: Chuck Schuldiner 'Wasn't A Sympathetic Man' - Blabbermouth.net

'Scream Bloody Gore' is a death metal classic every fan should have. Just like the demos. Killer material. Chuck, however, wasn't a sympathetic man. I got to know him on the U.S. tour and I never liked the guy. Very unpredictable. He canceled shows for no reason. Treated bands, fans and roadies often like ..... In the end his roadies Louie and Walt (where the hell are you now guys??) were sleeping in our van 'coz they couldn't stand his company. That says it all.

:shrug:

Nats

Reaction score
STOP SAYING ALL THESE PEOPLE I ONCE THOUGHT WERE NICE ARE MEAN!

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Cynic thread slowly transforming into Death thread. I approve.

"It will take you in, it will spit you out. Behold the flesh and the power it holds"

')