The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Acme

Reaction score
It's definitely a grounding experience to see such legendary bands/members with some serious beef like normal ol' people. The theories about The Philosopher lyrics and who they're directed to had me like:

shocked-gif.gif

Kind of funny really, I'm sure none of us bat an eye at those stupid grocery store tabloid magazines, but give us some band member drama and we'll bite in some way or another

I totally though those lyrics are about Jon Snow.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gorthul

Reaction score
I always got the impression that van Drunen himself was a mega-douche.

Same here. I was reading an interview back when the new Asphyx album was released and I was thinking that this guy is probably the biggest asshole in the whole scene. I won't trust him anything he says.

Tymon

Reaction score
I kind of regret I spoke out about this situation on facebook. I left Cynic almost 5 years ago now so it's not really my business anymore. And as with most drama: there are multiple sides to every story. On top of that, it's so easy to misinterpret things being said on the internet.

Anyway, people seem to think something terrible happened and that I hate Paul, but that's not true at all. I'm forever grateful for the opportunity to play and record with my favorite childhood band. And Paul has always been a great and helpful friend to me. When I left Cynic, I did so because I didn't agree with Paul's business ethics and decisions, the musical direction the band was taking and because Paul didn't want to work with Robin anymore.

As someone to work with, Paul can be really, really difficult. In his defense: it's not easy to run a band, I speak from experience because I have that role as well in 2 of my own bands. And yeah, it can be frustrating to notice your band members will never have the same amount of dedication and passion for your band as you do. And you might get into the occasional chalenging situation from time to time. But hey, that's life, what are you going to do about it? You can be a dickhead and make enemies out of everyone you work with, or you can try to be reasonable. Try to see the situation from their perspective and act accordingly.

In my time with Cynic, I've seen Paul make enemies out of 95% of the people who worked for us. Tour managers, general managers, roadies, FOHs, drivers, the musicians in his band, etc. Sean was the only one who always stood by his side, even though they were bitching and fighting all the time when we were on the road. And trust me when I say that Sean is the most laid back dude you will ever meet, besides being a pro musician who takes his craft very seriously.

So yeah, it doesn't sit right with me when I see people defend Paul and talk badly about Sean. That's why I spoke out in Sean's defense.

And I guess that's all I have to say about it. It's really not about proving a point, or making Paul look like the bad guy, or me being bitter about how my Cynic adventure ended. But I can see you guys are curious, reading all the speculation in this thread. So there you go, that's my side of the story.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
I kind of regret I spoke out about this situation on facebook. I left Cynic almost 5 years ago now so it's not really my business anymore. And as with most drama: there are multiple sides to every story. On top of that, it's so easy to misinterpret things being said on the internet.

Anyway, people seem to think something terrible happened and that I hate Paul, but that's not true at all. I'm forever grateful for the opportunity to play and record with my favorite childhood band. And Paul has always been a great and helpful friend to me. When I left Cynic, I did so because I didn't agree with Paul's business ethics and decisions, the musical direction the band was taking and because Paul didn't want to work with Robin anymore.

As someone to work with, Paul can be really, really difficult. In his defense: it's not easy to run a band, I speak from experience because I have that role as well in 2 of my own bands. And yeah, it can be frustrating to notice your band members will never have the same amount of dedication and passion for your band as you do. And you might get into the occasional chalenging situation from time to time. But hey, that's life, what are you going to do about it? You can be a dickhead and make enemies out of everyone you work with, or you can try to be reasonable. Try to see the situation from their perspective and act accordingly.

In my time with Cynic, I've seen Paul make enemies out of 95% of the people who worked for us. Tour managers, general managers, roadies, FOHs, drivers, the musicians in his band, etc. Sean was the only one who always stood by his side, even though they were bitching and fighting all the time when we were on the road. And trust me when I say that Sean is the most laid back dude you will ever meet, besides being a pro musician who takes his craft very seriously.

So yeah, it doesn't sit right with me when I see people defend Paul and talk badly about Sean. That's why I spoke out in Sean's defense.

And I guess that's all I have to say about it. It's really not about proving a point, or making Paul look like the bad guy, or me being bitter about how my Cynic adventure ended. But I can see you guys are curious, reading all the speculation in this thread. So there you go, that's my side of the story.

Thank you, Tymon. That definitely helps shed some light on the situation.

marcwormjim

Reaction score
I'm one of many fans who found themselves experiencing the joy from Exivious's albums that we were expecting to get from the rebirthed Cynic. Whether or not fans find themselves falling into favoring one perceived side of this fiasco over the other, we can still agree that Tymon and Pumbaa is awesome.

Ordacleaphobia

Shameless Contrarian
Reaction score
I'm one of many fans who found themselves experiencing the joy from Exivious's albums that we were expecting to get from the rebirthed Cynic. Whether or not fans find themselves falling into favoring one perceived side of this fiasco over the other, we can still agree that Tymon and Pumbaa is awesome.

Best post in thread.
You've got some good ones, marc.

Tymon

Reaction score

Haha awesome, thanks man :)

isomorphic

Banned
Reaction score

Please write a tell-all book. I really want to know how much of a pre-madonna Paul was tbh.

piggins411

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet almost everyone has thought it was spelled like that at some point. I know I did for years :lol:

NemesisTheory

Reaction score
An interesting thing to add to this is that I noticed on Reinert's facebook, Sean posted up Jason Gobel's page. When someone asked if he might work with Jason again, Sean said anything is possible. If those two wind up together again, that would be amazing.

anomynous

Reaction score
Still wondering which band will be better: Sean Reinert's Cynic or Paul Masvidal's Focus: The Voice of Cynic

Mangle

Breaker
Reaction score
Although I've never been a huge fan of this band, I'll be paying attention in the future with the hopes that someone gets to unleash what they've been holding in abeyance to be rewarded for a fastidious nurturing of a truly inspired and spiritually uplifting shred, groove slambang!

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
^ Sean mentioned footage from the Focus recording and live footage from the new shows on the metalsucks interview.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
reinart wasn't kidding when he was talking about paul's lack of preparation and performance.

sounds like about 60 percent of guitars and 80 percent of the vocals are on a backing track here.

wankerness

Reaction score
reinart wasn't kidding when he was talking about paul's lack of preparation and performance.

sounds like about 60 percent of guitars and 80 percent of the vocals are on a backing track here.

[youtubevid

Wow, this is one catty post. Next maybe we can get some like "Omg, look at how bad his MAKEUP and SHOES are!! NO fashion sense at all!!1" or "DId you hear what Paul said about Khloe?!! OMG!!"

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score

I'm in the process of watching this, but...

At the best of times Paul was only ever playing 50% of the guitars, and about 80% of his vocals are processed.

So far he's playing all his parts and singing all his vocals. His solos are a bit sloppy, but that's it.

')