The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
Wow, this is one catty post. Next maybe we can get some like "Omg, look at how bad his MAKEUP and SHOES are!! NO fashion sense at all!!1" or "DId you hear what Paul said about Khloe?!! OMG!!"

commenting on a musician of this this presumed calibers lack of preparedness is hardly "catty". A massive part of cynics appeal is their technical proficiency.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

putnut77

Reaction score
I'm in the process of watching this, but...

At the best of times Paul was only ever playing 50% of the guitars, and about 80% of his vocals are processed.

So far he's playing all his parts and singing all his vocals. His solos are a bit sloppy, but that's it.

I mean...there is also 1 person playing guitar in this performance...versus...the 2 there normally is.

wankerness

Reaction score
commenting on a musician of this this presumed calibers lack of preparedness is hardly "catty". A massive part of cynics appeal is their technical proficiency.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess it was the "LOOKS LIKE THE NASTY QUOTES I READ ON A GOSSIPY ARTICLE ON THE INTERNET WERE ALL TRUE!!" first line that got me. Knee-jerk response here! :p I don't think that video sounds good, it just seems like this thread in general is such a snipey gossip-fest, largely thanks to the involvement of the prior musicians in it. :ugh: Everyone is taking so much interest in the personal issues that led to the band's break-up and it's polluted all the legit musical interest stuff that could have been here. I doubt I'd have reacted that way to DLG's quote if there hadn't been 5 pages of Perez Hilton. In fact, if I'd paid attention to who made that post I also wouldn't have, he's a very solid poster!

cip 123

Reaction score
Personally I thought it was fine. Sean and Sean's playing was both spot on, Pauls was good plus he was in time with the backing track I think thats a testament to both him and the rest of the band to be able to play the songs so tightly to the backing tracks...It requires a good bit of skill from everyone in the band.

I'm disappointed about the growls a little but I don't think Paul has ever done the growls so thats fine.

I was more interested in both Seans playing than Pauls.

Thorerges

Reaction score
Both Focus and Traced in Air are perfect, timeless albums and Traced in Air is probably the single greatest comeback album of all time in metal.

Have to second this, traced in air is an incredible record.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I would of loved to hear a stripped down live version of cynic without a backing track.

Bucks

Reaction score
I'm disappointed about the growls a little but I don't think Paul has ever done the growls so thats fine.

Paul actually did do all the growls pre-focus.
you can here this on the 1991 demo, for instance.
I saw Cynic a few times in the early 90's in Hallandale, Paul did everything - this was before the vocoder

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
yeah that was just awful.

if anyone needs further proof that paul is truly a bad singer without the processor, look no further.

love cynic, saw them a bunch of times, even had that old live VHS that was floating around in the 90s after they broke up, so I know what his voice sounds like when he's singing the vocoder parts. on this performance the processed vocals sound too much like they are on the album.

rewihendrix

Reaction score
Man, you guys are super picky.

Integral was pretty bad, but that sounds like the vocals weren't mixed in his monitoring headphones or something - even if you're not a good singer, someone who's been a musician his whole life isn't going to sing a quarter tone flat the whole song without attempting to adjust his pitch.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I went to the tour last year. It was...underwhelming.

Edit: Also, what happened to Max?

Last edited:

iamaom

Reaction score
I went to the tour last year. It was...underwhelming.
Yeah, the set sounded live exactly like it does in the video: it's like the entire band is being put into a single compressed track then played through a mono speaker. I legit couldn't tell if they were actually playing or miming to a recording despite being 4 feet away from Paul.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I guess I had a different experience then. I saw them in Florida a few months ago and they sounded perfect. Who knows though.

Also, super hyped for Mike Gilbert on guitar. Dude is such an incredible player.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I mean, the thread title is true. Cynic was always about the interplay of the Seans with Paul's weirdness over the top. So, in that regard, Cynic *is* dead.

As for new music, we'll see? After the "Re-Focused" cash grab (because those drums sound like total crap), and the last record being...not Cynic sounding, well...

')