The dark side of supporting bigger bands: finding out that former "idols" are idiots

• Thread starter petereanima
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

behemoth91

Reaction score
probably soem of the coolest dudes in metal are the guys from behemoth and i havent met all of cannibal corpse but ive met alex and hes awesome. I went to go see behemoth for their first u.s. headliner and i got vip tickets and i found out theyre some of the coolest dudes ever, nergals one funny little fucker and seth cant stop fucking smiling, inferno seems like a douchebag with his black suit, tie and glasses but hes fucking awesome. so my mother said something to them ( as im 14 so obviously i need a ride) and she says "your all an inspiration to my son" and nergal turns around and says " oh yea, so hes a criminal now?" and i respond with "yea im burning down chruches" and we all start laughing and they keep signing my shit, and apparently orion took a liking to my mother lol. and later in the show alex webster and pat o'brien from cannibal corpse coems in, and i walk over to alex and hes fucking awesome he doesnt mind one bit hes just so fucking cool, you ask for pictures hes like "HELL YEA" hes just the shit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
probably soem of the coolest dudes in metal are the guys from behemoth and i havent met all of cannibal corpse but ive met alex and hes awesome. I went to go see behemoth for their first u.s. headliner and i got vip tickets and i found out theyre some of the coolest dudes ever, nergals one funny little fucker and seth cant stop fucking smiling, inferno seems like a douchebag with his black suit, tie and glasses but hes fucking awesome. so my mother said something to them ( as im 14 so obviously i need a ride) and she says "your all an inspiration to my son" and nergal turns around and says " oh yea, so hes a criminal now?" and i respond with "yea im burning down chruches" and we all start laughing and they keep signing my shit, and apparently orion took a liking to my mother lol. and later in the show alex webster and pat o'brien from cannibal corpse coems in, and i walk over to alex and hes fucking awesome he doesnt mind one bit hes just so fucking cool, you ask for pictures hes like "HELL YEA" hes just the shit.
Wait what?! :eek:

Nergal is pretty cool though, I met him after one of those summer fests all covered in gwarness and we had a good little chat.

Acatalepsy

Reaction score
Here's an overview of my experiences with bands signed to a major label:

Suffocation: sound. I was really pleased as they are one of my favorite bands :)
Mithras: complete dicks, took ages to soundcheck and ignored all the other bands
Wodensthrone: Amazing live band and top guys.
Altar of plagues: really nice folk.
Desecration: rude.
Morbid Angel: Dave Vincent is so unpleasant it's crazy.
Incantation: Were not interested in talking to to us, took ages to soundcheck. Dissapointed as I really like this band

Thought of one more, Sunn o))) : Stephen O'Malley is a cunt.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Most of the people I've met have been pretty cool. Misery Index were cool when we played with them. In Alcatraz 1962 hung out after the show and we helped load their trailer. Since I work at PRS I see bands/artists walking through and sometimes I'll get to meet them. The guys from Between the Buried and Me were really nice when they came through PRS. Dustie put me on the VIP list for their show that night. And all the dudes in Scale The Summit are really good guys. A Life Once Lost is one of the coolest bands I've ever met as well. The band Electric Mary was super nice. The guitar player said I had an awesome beard. Emil Werstler from Daath, Johnny Hiland, Mark Tremonti, Santana, Mike Mushok, Paul Allender, Mikael Akerfeldt and Fredrick Akesson from Opeth, Nick Catanese, Derek St. Holmes, Howard Leese, and Dweezil Zappa are all cool dudes too.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Roxanne Constantin from Quo Vadis is probably the coolest person I've met. Before the show, we literally talked for almost 2 hours, about all kinds of random stuff, and she gave me candy :D I added her on facebook and we became friends. And one year later, when they were coming back to Turkey, she said it was unfortunate that I won't be able to attend their show now that I'm in Baltimore, and how our conversation was a memorable moment of their tour.

Same thing for every single member of Quo Vadis, all really cool people.

I got to meet Trivium, and Matt heafy was extremely nice and friendly, he even invited us to drink with him but my girlfriend was a few months too young to get into the bar. Corey was nice but it felt like he didn't want to be there. Paolo was also a really cool guy. I didn't talk too much to Nick because I thought he was just a tour fill-in (it wasn't announced that he was going to be a full-time member).

Matt and Nabil from I set my friends on fire are also really cool dudes, they looked like they actually cared about what I had to say and interested in me.

Johnny Plague, from Winds of plague, while looking like a huge douche, is as far as it gets from being a douche. He was very nice and thanked every single person on the front row after the show, shook our hands, and talked to us, answered all our questions.

Karl Sanders from Nile is a really cool guy too. Dallas, not so much.

Sean Reinert was really really nice to me and my friends who kept pestering him with weird questions, he actually sat down and talked to them for around half an hour. I tried to talk to Paul Masvidal but he just kind of brushed me off, giving short answers to my questions and just staring into the distance and then shutting up and acting uninterested. Maybe he was supremely high though.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Most firnedly guy I've ever chatted with is Bruce Dickinson. He even tried some French, and we ended up discussing fencing for half an hour since I had a decent level and he could have been in the british team once if not already a rock star. That was in 1992, during the Fear of the Dark tour before the Paris show.
He's the only real famous metal guy I've had a chat with and he was great, especially since he was tired and a bit bored of Maiden at the time.

elhantiri

Reaction score
well, i never had the chance to meet jeff hanneman!!! yeah i dare to mention his name! anyway, ive always respect him as a musician but also as a person even though i never met him but it happened that ive seen this video and it changed my whole attitude toward hanneman!!today i have no more goddamn respect to him:

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
Karl Sanders from Nile is a really cool guy too. Dallas, not so much.

Karl Really is a nice guy, I've met him a few times. I've only heard good things about Dallas seeing as the whole band regularly goes to the guitar stores in my town and is good friends with my teacher.

I met Silenoz once and although we could tell that he was a bit annoyed that my friend insisted on interrupting him right as he sat down for dinner before the show he was genuinely nice and polite and happy to meet us. The guys from Obscura are also really cool guys met them at their first U.S show since they had to peddle their own wears, the faceless' merch guy was cool too, unfortunately didn't get to meet the band.

malphas

Reaction score
probably soem of the coolest dudes in metal are the guys from behemoth

Plus one million to that! I met them after a show when they were touring for the Demigod album. Nergal and Orion were super nice and talked to me and my buddies for quite some time, especially about the differences between Poland and the U.S. They also were more than happy to take pictures with anyone who wanted them.

Ser10Vi

Reaction score
Textures were really awesome guys.
In my town they couldn't find where to play, and as I was going to class I saw a giant van and saw them looking at a map.
I asked if I could help and I took them to the venue, so when we were there Stef said: "Do you want to pass for free?...well, of course you want to pass for free say me your name please."
And thats how I saved 15 €, Stef was doing faces during all the concert and looked at me

Reaction score
Heres a malmsteen story for you guys .......

Its 1994, Malmsteen is touring with Dio, they are playing in NYC. Well Ritchie Blackmore is playing at a local club on Long Island that my dad knows the owner of and tips us off that "Ying Yang Ding Dang" is going to come down and jam with Ritchie.

So as Ritchie is jamming with the house band I overhear "Yang Dang" talking to the sound man telling him, "whatever you do don't say who i am". So "yang dang" gets up on stage grabs a strat from the rhythm guitar player and proceeds to smoke out a few licks. As he finishes over the PA you hear ... "ladies and gentlemen Yngwie Malmsteen" .......

So "yang dang dick stang" proceeded to take the guitar off and drop it onto the stage from shoulder level. the head stock snaps and he just walks out of the club .....

What a douche

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I don't remember if I put this story in here. It had it's own thread, but I figure it should be in this thread.

I work as a valet/bellman at a hotel in Nashville. One night, a cab pulls up and I go to get the door and help the passengers with their luggage. They look familiar and I start thinking about what's going on in the city that night. I realize I'm helping most of Lamb of God (including Doc Coyle who was subbing). I chatted, got some autographs, and was generally pretty happy. Then I get a call a few hours later that a package needed delivering. I go get it, check the room and guest name and realize I'm delivering some stuff to Chris Adler! I go up to his room, tell him I'm a fan. He asks if I'm coming to the show the next night with LoG, Gojira, and Metallica. I tell him that I can't afford it, though I wish I could. He says, "don't worry about it man. Write your name down and you'll have a ticket." I was super stoked! I show up to will call the next day and there were two tickets in the VIP section waiting for me. Me and a buddy watched the show from about 30 feet from the stage, and I ended up catching a pick from Kirk Hammett!

LoG = awesome dudes.

Murmel

Reaction score
Great to hear that Trivium aren't douches, that would break my heart :(
And with EVERY video I've seen with Trivium that is backstage/documentary-ish, Matt has always seemed like a really laid back guy. I love the way he speaks, I find it really friendly and calming. And he also looks like a really nice guy.
Except for when he growls... Then he looks like a fucking monster :lol:

It's cool just how the way a persons tone when they speak can get you an understanding of how they are...
I love Matt :lol: God damn them Asians.. There's something about them.

SargeantVomit

CIRRHOSIS THRASH
Reaction score
Man this thread makes me nervous about the fact that sooner or later I will probably become either infamous or famous and actually have fans nationwide. Mostly that scares me because of the following reasons.....

1)I'm a sloppy drunk.
2)I'm a complete asshole to a lot of people.
3)I like to bang chicks.
4)I'm a complete asshole to a lot of people.

Now I don't think I'll ever be some kind of conceited douche, and I'll always want to take pictures and give everyone an autograph, but I constantly dream about the day I can fart on Beyonce at the grammy's and be a general shit disturber. Probably grab EVERY female fans tits that I can and write really offensive quotes on autographs like "Sorry to hear that you're gay" or "to my fattest fan".

richcastle66

Prog is Life
Reaction score
I met Trivium before Travis left. They were all amazingly cool. Matt told me that Gibson was gonna make 7 string explorers before Gibson even released the news.

')