The Deftones are breaking my heart...

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Shelton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can understand the op being really bummed, angry even if they don’t offer refunds.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score
I saw the Deftones a few times in the early 00s and all 3 times I consider to be the worst live band I've ever seen
I have to say I've seen them live a couple of times and the more strings were added the more indistinguishable the sound was live. Not to mention Chino burns himself after a few songs and from that point on you can get all sorts of freestyle. They can be hit and miss for sure.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I could care less about that, what does that have to do with what I said?

It's also a stupid idea.

Last two albums were meh, Chino and Steph hate each other, Steph is a whacko, and his youtube playthroughs might as well be whatever the guitar version of lip syncing is.

Those are just to show off all those horizons. And I'm totally fine with that.

arasys

needs more RRs
Reaction score
Ridiculing a guy who doesn’t want to take an ineffective gene therapy is hilarious, what a bunch of chumps….Take this vaccine that doesn’t stop you from getting or transmitting a virus that has a .03% fatality rate and instead take a gene therapy that in the clinical trials has a 3% death rate with a 90%+ side effect rate. Facepalm
holy protozoa..they exist here too!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw the Deftones a few times in the early 00s and all 3 times I consider to be the worst live band I've ever seen
I saw taste of chaos 06 and we left during their set. I liked a couple songs but chino and steph were clearly fubar and it just wasnt good. I was hoping sunday would have been redemption arc.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I have to say I've seen them live a couple of times and the more strings were added the more indistinguishable the sound was live. Not to mention Chino burns himself after a few songs and from that point on you can get all sorts of freestyle. They can be hit and miss for sure.
Chino was actually the worst part. He just walked around the stage and was super low effort

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
My buddy took me to see them on their Diamond Eyes tour for my birthday whenever that came out. He was never really into Chino’s vocals but came away from that show genuinely impressed, guess they had a good night.

As far as rockstars being dramatic/and or idiots… if I worried too much about their viewpoints and lifestyles not aligning with mine, well, let’s just say I’d get bored with what’d be left of my library really quick.

And on the original topic - super lame. I’d be bummed too - I easily got as much enjoyment out of ogling Steph’s guitars as the show itself when I saw them.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Imagine not being able to enjoy music because you're too emotionally invested in the artist's beliefs.

Although I haven't been a big fan of their later works, the early albums have been a great influence in my life overall.

Bodes

Reaction score
I swear I didn't click on the "Comment Section Gold!!!" Thread.
*scrolls up* nope, reading a Deaftones thread.
You guys are awesome! This thread this awesome! High fives to everyone who wrote a gold comment!
Entertainment is strong in this one.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Protozoa? Lol Yet you cannot prove anything I have said is wrong…I’ll wait

Here's a flip-side: can you prove anything you said is right? I'll wait. But why not try do it in the OT section where we keep the crazy talk? In Deftones threads the only crazy talk should be coming from the famous people.

manu80

Reaction score
I understand your frustration but which band hasn't replaced his members from time to time to permanent ? I never saw Ozzy with Jake E lee, or Zakk, only Gus G, and it was great...didn't see Sabbath with Bill ward, or kiss with Frehley....Still it was great each time... welcome to Rock n roll....Not the first or the last time...
At leasrt you'll have a guitarist that doesn't look stoned all th etime maybe ;)

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
I truly don’t care about his vax belief/status. That’s a personal choice. But the whole flat Earth thing is crazy. Ever deal with a flat Earther? They’re insufferable. Anyway, I’ll just leave this here for posterity-

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw them a few weeks ago with Gojira. Deftones did not sound very good..I don't know if it is Stephen's obsession with all things gear, but his side of the sound stage was not pleasant.

Gojira on the other hand sounded awesome, not that that should be a surprise.

sleewell

Reaction score
i sincerely think flat earthers are some of the ultimate trolls. they don't believe it but just want to make everyone else flip their shit. i mean to admit that that moon and other planets are spheres but only the earth is flat is pretty nuts.

havent ever seen them live but it kinda sounds like a fill in might do a better job based on some of the comments here lol.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw them in Irvine in 2015 (I'm sure I posted about it here) with Death From Above 1979 opening and it was a great show, even with Incubus being the headliner. Defines sounded great, played a lot of stuff from White Pony, Diamond Eyes, and Koi No Yokan. All around great show, considering their record of being more miss than hit. I didn't notice if Steph or Chino were dropping the ball but I came away from it very pleased.

Franko

Reaction score
I understand your frustration but which band hasn't replaced his members from time to time to permanent ? I never saw Ozzy with Jake E lee, or Zakk, only Gus G, and it was great...didn't see Sabbath with Bill ward, or kiss with Frehley....Still it was great each time... welcome to Rock n roll....Not the first or the last time...
At leasrt you'll have a guitarist that doesn't look stoned all th etime maybe ;)

This is a very valid point. You're right. Look at Guns N Roses. And one point they were touring with Axl as the only original member.
I think why it was so heartbreaking for me, is Deftones have been a fairly "drama free" band for most of their career.
They really only ever had one line up change when their bassist past away in 2013.
I think in the examples you gave (Kiss, Ozzy etc,,,)
people knew who would be on the stage,
Deftones told their fans the DAY BEFORE.
No line up changes in almost 20 years, and suddenly 2 guys out in the course of a couple months.
Anyway. This thread is starting to go a bit left. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Again, it was really just sad. I just felt let down by people I admired.

brector

Reaction score
Ridiculing a guy who doesn’t want to take an ineffective gene therapy is hilarious, what a bunch of chumps….Take this vaccine that doesn’t stop you from getting or transmitting a virus that has a .03% fatality rate and instead take a gene therapy that in the clinical trials has a 3% death rate with a 90%+ side effect rate. Facepalm
The vaccine isn't gene therapy for starters...

Got any sources for your other "facts"?

')