The Deftones are breaking my heart...

• Thread starter Franko
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
It's a bummer man. I do consider myself a fan, since White Pony came out. Stef is actually a very nice dude, talked to him quite a bit. When that stuff came out it was a little weird yes, I'm totally pro-vax and the earth is definitely round. However, that didn't change my view of the music, still love the music.

The whole Sergio thing was a shame. Great musician and a great guy as well, haven't talked to him, just met him once but he seems like a very nice guy in interviews. To me it definitely felt like he was a part of the band. It's definitely a shame how all of that went down, as far as we know anyway.

Then when they started to tour again with that other guitarist I immediately thought, WTF is this and it started to dawn on me that this was probably to let people get used to the idea of having an additional guitars / fill in for Stef because he won't be leaving the country anytime soon. For the shows that Stef also plays, they just don't need another guitarist. It's just not how they should sound (for me anyway). Let Chino do the second guitar parts.

I can live without Sergio in the band although it still sucks but I won't be going to see them live without Stef. To me musically he is the most important part. He has been such a big inspiration for me as a guitar player.

mastapimp

Reaction score
This is a very valid point. You're right. Look at Guns N Roses. And one point they were touring with Axl as the only original member.
I think why it was so heartbreaking for me, is Deftones have been a fairly "drama free" band for most of their career.
They really only ever had one line up change when their bassist past away in 2013.
I think in the examples you gave (Kiss, Ozzy etc,,,)
people knew who would be on the stage,
Deftones told their fans the DAY BEFORE.
No line up changes in almost 20 years, and suddenly 2 guys out in the course of a couple months.
Anyway. This thread is starting to go a bit left. Thanks for listening to my rant.
Again, it was really just sad. I just felt let down by people I admired.
Just try to enjoy the show and worry about Steph the next time they come around.

When I was a teenager, I saw Megadeth with Nick Menza and he had this incredible looking drum kit and played an impressive drum solo mid show...few years later I saw Megadeth at Ozzfest right as Nick was kicked out and Jimmy DeGrasso was covering. As we saw them set up, a bunch of people in the audience were talking shit about how no one could replace Nick and that Jimmy's kit only had a single bass drum. I started to buy into their complaints until they got on stage and blew everyone away. Ever since then, I figure these bands know who will be a good fit and good replacement and still deliver the music at a high level, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I saw Soilwork back in the early 00's with Ola Frenning and Peter Wichers on guitars. Saw them about 10 years later with David Andersson, Sylvain Coudred, and Dirk Verbeuren (half the band had changed) and they were twice as good as the first time.

Let us know how the show turns out and if not having Steph there was really as bad as you thought it would be.

Franko

Reaction score
Just try to enjoy the show and worry about Steph the next time they come around.

When I was a teenager, I saw Megadeth with Nick Menza and he had this incredible looking drum kit and played an impressive drum solo mid show...few years later I saw Megadeth at Ozzfest right as Nick was kicked out and Jimmy DeGrasso was covering. As we saw them set up, a bunch of people in the audience were talking shit about how no one could replace Nick and that Jimmy's kit only had a single bass drum. I started to buy into their complaints until they got on stage and blew everyone away. Ever since then, I figure these bands know who will be a good fit and good replacement and still deliver the music at a high level, so I give them the benefit of the doubt. I saw Soilwork back in the early 00's with Ola Frenning and Peter Wichers on guitars. Saw them about 10 years later with David Andersson, Sylvain Coudred, and Dirk Verbeuren (half the band had changed) and they were twice as good as the first time.

Let us know how the show turns out and if not having Steph there was really as bad as you thought it would be.
Some really valid points here.
For the record, the show was still awesome. The fill in guy (Sacramento guitarist Lance Jackman) completely killed it. (On all of Stef's gear to boot)

That's a really great perspective that you said. We have to trust that the band is choosing the right people when delivering a live performance.
I think for me (just my opinion)...I would much rather see the original guys. I wanna see the guys who wrote the riffs, the same guys who hashed them out in a jam space and recorded them hours and hours in a studio.
When its "hired guns" I feel like the band becomes a bit more of a "studio project"
Like, you're not going to see the band, you're going to see an interpretation of the songs. Does that make any sense?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some really valid points here.
For the record, the show was still awesome. The fill in guy (Sacramento guitarist Lance Jackman) completely killed it. (On all of Stef's gear to boot)

That's a really great perspective that you said. We have to trust that the band is choosing the right people when delivering a live performance.
I think for me (just my opinion)...I would much rather see the original guys. I wanna see the guys who wrote the riffs, the same guys who hashed them out in a jam space and recorded them hours and hours in a studio.
When its "hired guns" I feel like the band becomes a bit more of a "studio project"
Like, you're not going to see the band, you're going to see an interpretation of the songs. Does that make any sense?

Good point on the studio project. It wouldn't surprise me if the band actually becomes more of a studio project. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I mean that's what most of us on here are with our own music.

At the end of the day the only thing that really matters is what goes onto an album. That's what will be left when we're all dead and gone.

Lan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are some bands, that are really easy to get into and like. The music is solid, the bandmembers are cool, and there is generally a feeling of cohesion between the members, the image, and the music.

That being said, Deftones have a price of admission. There's drama inside of the band, and drama that directly affects the fans. A lot of songs of theirs that grab you right away as being catchy, tend to have cringy elements as well. You kind of have to buy in to Chino's offkey singing, and weird sex noises during songs; but if you can get past that, you get some really interesting and engaging music unlike any other band.

During my teenage years I was super into SOAD and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and both of those bands shared a similar price of admission lol. Whether it's Serj being Serj, or Anthony ruining an amazing instrumental with some of the laziest singing and writing possible.
The dichotomy of great and awful I think sets these bands apart in a good way, and challenges you, before you can fully get into them. Of course, that's not to excuse their treatment of Sergio - that was garbage, but I digress.

Riverview

Reaction score
Sergio recorded 4 albums ? Didn't know he was around for that long . Damn . I'm sure if any member of a band , guitarist or drummer , wasn't considered part of the band after 4+ albums and tours , they'd be upset too . Justifiable for sure .

I've tinkered with learning some Deftones songs on the bass and they're well put together . I'm glad he got the courage to do what's best for him .

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Sergio recorded 4 albums ? Didn't know he was around for that long . Damn . I'm sure if any member of a band , guitarist or drummer , wasn't considered part of the band after 4+ albums and tours , they'd be upset too . Justifiable for sure .

I've tinkered with learning some Deftones songs on the bass and they're well put together . I'm glad he got the courage to do what's best for him .

Diamond Eyes, KNY, Gore, and Ohms. He joined Deftones not even 2 months after Chi's accident.

Also keep in mind that they were all huge fans of Sergio + Quicksand. Reminds me of how Alexi treated Roope in CoB; Roope was apparently one of Alexi's biggest influences and he LOVED Stone.

neurosis

Reaction score
Back on topic I think what would piss me off is hearing of the guy's decision one day before the gig I bought tickets for is happening. That's just not cool. Were they hoping for him to change his mind? Or do they not talk? It's not like he's staying for unexpected reasons. That is what feels unprofessional and disrespectful to the audience.

I have seen them on great nights. First time I saw them they were taking Linkin Park out through Europe. That show in particular was great. It was at a club. At festivals, every time I have seen them something felt off.

I think they were more explosive years ago and that compensated fro some of the off key singing, drops in volume, boomy eq or whatever was on that night. Right now, not so much. But they have a cult following and have been good at renewing their base so you'll keep getting people who are too excited to notice anyway.

Some great old videos are still on YouTube. Not perfect, but charming shows.

This one shows how Chino fries his voice as he goes. But the energy is high.

Anyway. I still love the records. What. can I say.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
I like some of the Deftones music just fine, but man they seem like some real dicks.

-Neonblack-

Blood Moon Studio
Reaction score
OT: Somehow i am fascinated by the flat earth believers.

I mean, why is it really that important to them?

Who would have profited by stating that it is not flat? (In the past - when scientists discovered it)
Why would anyone make something like this up?
Are all planets flat - according to the flat earth believers?

Also: According to some of the most successful people in the world, we most probably already live in a completely virtual reality created by ourselves in the past.
This makes themes like 'flat earth' seem completely irrelevant in comparison.

And one single human can never understand more than a few special topics within millions of topics existing in the universe / multiverse / omniverse.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
OT: Somehow i am fascinated by the flat earth believers.

I mean, why is it really that important to them?

1 Who would have profited by stating that it is not flat? (In the past - when scientists discovered it)
2 Why would anyone make something like this up?
3 Are all planets flat - according to the flat earth believers?

4 Also: According to some of the most successful people in the world, we most probably already live in a completely virtual reality created by ourselves in the past.
This makes themes like 'flat earth' seem completely irrelevant in comparison.

And one single human can never understand more than a few special topics within millions of topics existing in the universe / multiverse / omniverse.
1 People who seek more Power & control
2 Power & control
3 most likely view them not as actual objects to land on but as "wandering stars"

4 Funny how most people scoff at FE but totally embrace simulated theory- which essentially means any "reality" could be possible and change endlessly

Note that it is very hard to find actual FE info these days. Google it up and you'll find endless debunking links or Flat Earth Society (theories which no one believes/misinformation site). It wasn't always that way, just a few years ago, there were a lot of interesting sites but that is all gone now on the search engines.

Never really got into the Deftones, but I had a SC 8 string at one point- cool guitar

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
1 People who seek more Power & control
2 Power & control
3 most likely view them not as actual objects to land on but as "wandering stars"

4 Funny how most people scoff at FE but totally embrace simulated theory- which essentially means any "reality" could be possible and change endlessly

Note that it is very hard to find actual FE info these days. Google it up and you'll find endless debunking links or Flat Earth Society (theories which no one believes/misinformation site). It wasn't always that way, just a few years ago, there were a lot of interesting sites but that is all gone now on the search engines.

Never really got into the Deftones, but I had a SC 8 string at one point- cool guitar
"Interesting sites"

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I love the Deftones… but a dude that smokes that much weed isn’t exactly capable of clear thought. Yes, you can in fact smoke yourself silly just the same as you can drink yourself silly.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Constantly touring and being older in age, I kinda see why Stephen didn't want to be on a plane for so long, just look at this flight path from the US to Japan.
1653685006202.png

:p

akinari

Reaction score
Chino has been playing all the interesting guitar parts since Koi No Yokan anyway, check Stefs playthroughs. Ohms has some amazing songs but Stefs best days as a creative spirit have fizzled IMO. Just chugging low notes most of the time, couple powerchords, very little of the punch or intensity or dissonance that made his early stuff so engaging. I wish he'd move back to the 7s at least... or that the guys would bring in Jeff from Will Haven to cowrite a record. He's a close friend, super nice guy and a monster writer.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
The Earth is neither flat or round. In reality, It's the shape of Sloth's head. We've all been lied to.

Attachments

• sloth.jpg
    sloth.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 4
')