The design

• Thread starter bonethug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bonethug

Reaction score
Currently designing my dream guitar, after much heartache with makers and not much money for a custom I've decided on building her myself.

my specs:

ahem...

7 string
24 frettage ss frets ebony fretboard
locking tuners
cream boarders all around
arrow heads for side markers
redwood or spalted maple top
mahogany or koa body
dark blood red stain (keep it brootal)
tunomatic style bridge
white bone nut (pun intended)
25.5 inch scale length
devils tail head stock
nitro finish
im sure i left some stuff out :scratch:

I got some stuff drawn out as far as desighns go, but i have to wait 3 more months to get discharged from the military to go home and start building.

In the mean time any input whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
bonethug

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
damnit how can i get these pics to work?

First set the album to be public, it seems to be password protected

Then:
1) when you mouse over the image in the gallery click in the box next to IMG code
2) the text should in the box should change to say Copied for a second
3) paste link into a post here
4) repeat for each image you want to share

Also you probably really don't want to try SS frets on your first build, they're much harder to work with. Might want to do some practice builds with normal frets to get fret dressing down first, then try SS :2c:

bonethug

Reaction score
aww snap it worked thanks dude! well above is my horribly hand drawn design of the body....

bonethug

Reaction score
Photoon2011-07-04at0015-2.jpg

and finally heres 15-24 wish i could do it all in color but idk where to find crayons out here.... and constructive criticism is encouraged!

bonethug

Reaction score
Photoon2011-07-03at22472-1.jpg

heres the body without me tampering in iphoto. I'm not left handed everything got reversed in the picture taking ritual hints my fret numbers.

bonethug

Reaction score
First set the album to be public, it seems to be password protected

Then:
1) when you mouse over the image in the gallery click in the box next to IMG code
2) the text should in the box should change to say Copied for a second
3) paste link into a post here
4) repeat for each image you want to share

Also you probably really don't want to try SS frets on your first build, they're much harder to work with. Might want to do some practice builds with normal frets to get fret dressing down first, then try SS :2c:

I was thinking that ss might be rough but I'm very thorough so I'll be making a prototype out of pine or a softwood just to boost my experience. So ill go with nickel on the pine build but as for this girl gotta have SS. I appreciate your input man!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty cool body design and awesome inlay idea. Are you gonna do it yourself or with a CNC? Either way, good luck!

bonethug

Reaction score
Pretty cool body design and awesome inlay idea. Are you gonna do it yourself or with a CNC? Either way, good luck!

I'm doing it myself, everything will painstakingly be done by hand. I dont plan on using a router or jigsaw even. This is going to be a VERY slow build gentlemen, as I say 3 months till i can even get started

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I hope you're fucking a wood savant or some shit. I'd abandon those inlay plans if not... :lol:

bonethug

Reaction score
I hope you're fucking a wood savant or some shit. I'd abandon those inlay plans if not... :lol:

it can be done. i have full confidence in myself to make the inlay pristine, the rough sketch and the finished product are going to look way different of course.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
As long as you are confident... Those are some lofty goals though. That would be a tough job WITH a CNC, much less by hand. Subscribed. :)

')