TimTomTum

Reaction score
Yup, Devin wants so show us the bright site of life. Though I love the darker stuff as well. Let's see, maybe DLG gets his shot in Z2. But until then: Love, my friend, love.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Festivus

Reaction score
I find DLG's perspective interesting, and I wonder a lot about how much the creative process takes out of people. However, for me at least I don't see an album like Ki having less emotional depth than his earlier work.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Ocean Machine is probably the ONE of his things I haven't listened to that I actually want to because it's really weird shit isn't it? I had Synchestra for a while and really only dug "Vampire" and "Vampolka" (they're practically the same track), and I can't remember anything off Terria beside "Earth Day." Accelerated Evolution has "Dead Head" on it which I also remember listening to. Never heard his Physicist/Devlab/The Hummer albums, the latter of which would either be an extreme hit or miss.

Ocean Machine is awesome. It's got that wall-of-sound that City had only it's a LOT lighter than SYL. Still pretty great though.

Physicist is basically more SYL with a mix that Devin didn't like in the end. Still pretty awesome.

I basically stopped listening to Devin after The New Black got released. I'm seeing him play in a week with Katatonia, so i'm hoping I get inspired to pick up some of his newer material.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Angel is the best song in the world.

The whole album is just mindblowing!

datalore

awkward soul
Reaction score
I think its ok. I LOVE devy, but this album has some high points, and some recycled low points.

I feel about the same. I enjoy a few tunes, but a lot of it seems pretty bland. Of the last five records, Ghost is by far my favorite. For me, it's the only one that can hang with Devin's pre-DTP catalog. I hope he feels compelled to go in that direction at some point in the future.

Jontain

Reaction score
Am enjoying the new tracks, the new version of kingdom is mind blowing, dev can really belt it.

A dev track a day keeps mundane sanity away...
12art.jpg

Oh also the new artwork going on his website looks awesome! (shiny suit!)

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
Since I'm back from my "vacation", I can finally tell you about the concert here in Houston the other day.

I've never been to the venue (Warehouse Live), so when I got to 318 St Emanuel I was, literally, at a big ass old warehouse. Turns out I was 5 blocks away and had to walk, not a big deal, I got to see the baseball and new soccer stadiums.

Doors were supposed to open at 6:30, but didn't until after 7, first band didn't get on until nearly 8. They were some local band called Stoned Babies or something, not bad, their lead singer was a chick with an accordion, so that was interesting, she had a great voice, too.
lNaXxl.jpg

Katatonia played 2nd, I'm not too familiar with their music, but it was an awesome set.
MNol5l.jpg

My phone died just before Dev's set so I couldn't get any pictures of him, in fact I only got those 2 the whole night.

Dev closed the show, played a lot of great old and new songs. Surprised the hell out of me with a short instrumental version of Truth. His two new guitars from Framus, looked and sounded fucking amazing. He was using some weird octave modulator on his voice, maybe because he was getting sick, but his voice was noticeably higher pitched.

He opened with either Awake! or Supercrunch, followed by Kingdom. They played Babysong (which was fucking weird to play following Kingdom) War was played, too. He played Lucky Animals, which has really grown on me, but he apparently hates the song, or just the video (which was apparently filmed in his neighbor's yard).
Devin Townsend Project - Kingdom - Live (Warehouse Live Houston 9/11) - YouTube
Encore was: Bad Devil and Grace.
Nothing from: Ki, Ghost, Ziltoid, Terria, Accelerated Evolution

In the middle of the 2nd and 3rd set I had to get out of the crowd, I was getting way too hot and dehydrated, couldn't piss for the life of me, either. Now, I was fully prepared to have to pay $5 for a bottle of water, but these mother fuckers were awesome. $1 gets you a cup of ice water, and free unlimited refills. As a fat poor person, this is the best thing ever.

I have to say I really enjoyed myself, and I'm a new full on fan of Katatonia. The tour is also supposed to have Paradise Lost who're in the 2nd band slot, but their singer got sick a couple of shows in and they weren't playing because he actually lost his voice.

As big as a PL fan as I am, I'm really really glad they didn't play. We didn't get out until 12-ish, and I don't think I could have lasted long enough to see all 4 bands in that venue, it was way too hot. If it was at HoB I'm sure it would have been better, but it wouldn't have filled the venue like they did at Warehouse.

all in all 5/5 stars, would go again.

I Voyager

Reaction score
Doors were supposed to open at 6:30, but didn't until after 7, first band didn't get on until nearly 8. They were some local band called Stoned Babies or something, not bad, their lead singer was a chick with an accordion, so that was interesting, she had a great voice, too.

Stolen Babies, and they're opening the whole tour.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
That's what she said, but I was kind of staring at her accordion, if you know what I mean.

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
I caught Devin in LA at the weekend, I would have posted before but some potato brained mod banned me for a week for saying I acquired the record 2 days early (I bought the digipak at the show...). Anyway, it was fucking killer. The new songs were awesome live (even Lucky Animals was better!). I got a bunch of pics and stuck around after the show and got to meet all the band members who were all super nice guys.

578429_466663403355931_1264370251_n.jpg

422853_466663520022586_1101990769_n.jpg

601495_466664253355846_495336084_n.jpg

400939_466664443355827_512739612_n.jpg

I was pretty drunk by the end of the show, I went with my wife and my friend. I'm in the orange EHX shirt...

540075_466664966689108_79745258_n.jpg

392082_466664983355773_108578234_n.jpg

Manic cheese grin here... :scratch:

561662_466665056689099_407457630_n.jpg

429870_466665116689093_1136096890_n.jpg

')