This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
I know that this has been asked 1000 times before, but where does one go after having listened to the Devin Townsend Project albums? I like Ghost, Epicloud and Addicted the most. I've only listened to Ocean Machine and Casualties of Cool front-to-back but I'm really liking some of the Strapping Young Lad songs.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
For SYL, start with the new black and work backwards.
Try terria and possibly synchestra. Ziltoid is probably the album closest to addicted! so that could be a good listen.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I know that this has been asked 1000 times before, but where does one go after having listened to the Devin Townsend Project albums? I like Ghost, Epicloud and Addicted the most. I've only listened to Ocean Machine and Casualties of Cool front-to-back but I'm really liking some of the Strapping Young Lad songs.

Those are my 3 favorite DTP albums as well.

So saying that, my next favs from Devin are Ziltoid, Accelerated Evolution, and Ocean Machine.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
The Strapping Young Lad self-titled album is still one of the fiercest records I've ever heard. Start to finish, it's just brutal.

Rizzo

Reaction score
I'd just proceed chronologically, eventually shifting from a project to another in the process. This way you can see Dev's musical evolution, as for any other artist! I think it's always the best way to enjoy someone's career.

HoKrll

Reaction score
Today is the deadline for the universal choir.
Finishing mine up today. Need to mix 3 people into a stereo setting

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I realised recording the Universal Choir that either my mic sucks, my pre-amp sucks, or my singing sucks.

Whatever it is, I'm doing something very wrong with my vocal recordings.

Sent it in anyways because ZILTOID COMMANDS IT

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Did it over the weekend and never have I been sick of the sound of my own voice. :lol: Those were some tough melodies.

HoKrll

Reaction score
1313 participants. Should be interesting to see how these parts turn out.
I loved his melodies in these clips, I hope they don't get ruined by the crowd.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score

Jeez, I dunno.
I think "City" is the best SYL album. And none of them are bad.
"Accelerated Evolution" is amazing.
"Pünky Brewster" and "Ziltoid" are awesome due to the humor factor.
I don't think DT has put out an album I didn't like. His music appeals to me
in the same way that Zappa's music did; there's a "singular vision" behind it.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
Jeez, I dunno.
I think "City" is the best SYL album. And none of them are bad.
"Accelerated Evolution" is amazing.
"Pünky Brewster" and "Ziltoid" are awesome due to the humor factor.
I don't think DT has put out an album I didn't like. His music appeals to me
in the same way that Zappa's music did; there's a "singular vision" behind it.

People always forget about Devlab and The Hummer...I didn't dig them at all. Arguably though, they're not exactly "Dev Albums" I suppose.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
It's not so much that we forget as that it's so different from everything else in his discography (the closest songs I can think of are Info Dump and Traestorz, which are themselves outliers in his material) that they're more something to pick up after you've listened to everything else if you have an appreciation for that sort of music.

')