jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Devin IS taking a long ass break, he is going to tour the new album(s) then do a big ziltoid show and stop for a while. He said during his redit AMA that he has plans for an easy album called garden music or something, but thats all there is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
devin needs to take a long ass break and stop putting out 7 albums a year.
It really depends on his financial situation, I think. It's very possible he's only been earning decent money in the past couple of years and only now has enough to take a bit of a breather without having to worry about money.

He might also already have had enough to retire for ages and is just a maniac. Who knows?

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
It really depends on his financial situation, I think. It's very possible he's only been earning decent money in the past couple of years and only now has enough to take a bit of a breather without having to worry about money.

He might also already have had enough to retire for ages and is just a maniac. Who knows?
Depends on what he's using the fundraiser money for since it went over the goal multiple times over, but he could always do more production. He produced some decently big bands before he started doing the DTP albums.

ppinkham

Reaction score
Depends on what he's using the fundraiser money for since it went over the goal multiple times over, but he could always do more production. He produced some decently big bands before he started doing the DTP albums.

In a recent interview he said that though he had stated he would take about a year off, it really isn't possible because people rely on him for income.

KFW

Reaction score
Hmmm, I'm a little skeptical now after hearing Rejoice and Deathray.

The first Ziltoid was cool because it was obviously a clever sort of autobiography, and in that context just made it hilarious and at the same time kind of sad (sad in a good way). Now he's just sort of been made into this entire character that I can't really get on board with. BUT, it's good for making him money. And I feel like such a loyal fan that I'd be happy if he got rich selling smallpox blankets with his albums.

I'm tired of all of his latest albums being laden with excuses from him and fans about why they are simple, boring, and sound a certain way. It seems after Ki, things just started to slowly drop off--which I was hoping was just a weird phase for the 4 DTP albums.

I want him to release an album that just stands on it's own, doesn't have some over-arching theme beating you over the head, and something that isn't wrought with excuses like "I'm sick of making ____ kind of music, I just wanted to get ____ out of my system..." it seems every tweet or interview is him justifying why an upcoming album is going to sound a certain way. I remember when he released Synchestra, the extent of what he said was "This album sounds like beige. Pretty naturey. You guys will love it." and that was IT. Just a basic description of the album, didn't have any kind of theme, yet sounded way more cohesive and inspired than any of his recent albums that are packed with everything but awesome and impressive songwriting.

Still gonna buy the albums though, just to support him and not have any awkward gaps in my music library....and of course to give them a fair listen.

And with all that said, I'm legitimately happy to see him be so successful. There are still plenty of great Devin albums for me to listen to, so I'm happy with those. And the new ones are still listenable. I just don't enjoy them to nearly the same degree as anything before Addicted.

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
^
Agree with that. The last album I really enjoyed the whole was Ghost. And Addicted was great, but it seems he has a need to release everything he writes. There are great songs on all the albums, but there's a lot of fillers as well imo.

I haven't heard anything from the new ziltoid/dtp though so don't know about that. But I was really disappointed with Epicloud. A couple great songs, and a bunch of okay songs.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
"something" coming in the morning. Devin and Ziltoid had a Twitter convo this evening:

Z: Yo @dvntownsend , Something tells me to be wary of tomorrow, you jerk...
(Dev doesn't reply)
Z: Be quiet.
D: @ZiltoidOfficial yo dude, sulk somewhere else.
Z: Outrage addiction. Humanities highest grossing sport. Be offended for the sake of attention and bloodlust. Bored and boring.
D: @ZiltoidOfficial I'm offended. Deeply and personally.
Z: Shut up.
D: @ZiltoidOfficial goodnight z, see you in the morning. Got a surprise for you.

Richie666

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recorded a cover of Quiet Riot off Ki over the weekend. Check it out!

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/richiefoulkes/quiet-riot-devin-townsend[/sc]

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
This man is a legend

GdVYJl2.png

_RH_

Reaction score
After one listen...tremendously disappointing. IMO it is not even in the same league as the original.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
After one listen...tremendously disappointing. IMO it is not even in the same league as the original.

Hmm. I'm kind of nonplussed about Dark Matters. I was more excited about Sky Blue, which was amazing. A lot of emotion put into it, clearly. DM does have a couple of really good stand out tracks though. :2c:

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Devy really needs that long ass break. I hope he gets some gardening and birdhouses done.

Didn't get further than song number 3 on first listen on dark matters. It was just so freaking full of everything, without proper melodies or ideas. Meh. I'll listen to it eventually, but now I'm not in the mood for chaotic running around.

Sky blue on the other hand... that album has some real songs in there. Real melodies, real singing, real playing! Much better. Haven't yet listened to it fully, but I'm going to blast my ears with it when I go renovating bathroom/sauna today.

')