The DI thread

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been attempted before but I don't think so.

Can we get a DI sharing thing going on? If you've got the ability, record some riffs or something and share the DI files.

This way we have a library of different pickups, guitars, etc we can test with our DAW setups.

Wanna know what a certain pickup sounds like? Hop in the DI thread, download the DI from someone who has the pickup and then try it in your own setup.

If you do contribute please put the info (guitar make and model, pickup make and model, etc).

Here, I made a folder everyone can drop their stuff into. PLEASE PUT A DESCRIPTION IN THE TITLE OF YOUR FILE. This way we know what's what.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I like the idea, because seriously I'm sick of watching things on yt about something I look for, that doesn’t sound anything alike in reality.

Reaction score
I added that classic Lasse Lammert DI pack from years ago. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what guitar or pickups he used but I'm fairly certain he used EMGs. If anyone knows please let me know so I can label it.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the idea! Idk if it has been attempted here before.
Do you want it all in that folder? I have a soundcloud playlist of labeled, downloadable DIs (and a couple of distorted things I forgot to turn the plugin off on before exporting...) I recorded last week with my Oni 8 string that I can readily post here with a direct link. If not I could take some time this weekend to organize the files when I get to my laptop and drop them in there. Not the most high quity playing, but probably enough to have an idea.

Reaction score
I like the idea! Idk if it has been attempted here before.
Do you want it all in that folder? I have a soundcloud playlist of labeled, downloadable DIs (and a couple of distorted things I forgot to turn the plugin off on before exporting...) I recorded last week with my Oni 8 string that I can readily post here with a direct link. If not I could take some time this weekend to organize the files when I get to my laptop and drop them in there. Not the most high quity playing, but probably enough to have an idea.
I guess you could link them. I just figured a centralized folder for all of them would be easy but I was mainly considering DIs made for the thread..I hadn't thought about pre-existing DIs so if it's easier drop a link.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Post my DIs without double noise reduction and delay + reverb, exposing myself and my playing? Actually a great idea, I'll think of some stuff and post in the share.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess you could link them. I just figured a centralized folder for all of them would be easy but I was mainly considering DIs made for the thread..I hadn't thought about pre-existing DIs so if it's easier drop a link.
Actually idk why I asked, I'll post the playlist here for now and then I'll upload the files to the folder sometime this weekend. I must be getting drunk or something :lol:... 👀

Last edited:

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I added that classic Lasse Lammert DI pack from years ago. Unfortunately I don't know exactly what guitar or pickups he used but I'm fairly certain he used EMGs. If anyone knows please let me know so I can label it.
Cool. I've heard the Lammert riff so many times I can hear it now and no music is playing.

Stiman

Reaction score
Just a thought, what about pickups height and pick choice? I'm thinking the more details provided the better.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Just a thought, what about pickups height and pick choice? I'm thinking the more details provided the better.

I was going to try to provide as much context as possible whenever I upload some clips. Something like:

Ibanez RG550
Edge trem (floating)
9-42 Daddario strings in Standard
Basswood body
Maple neck & fingerboard
DiMarzio Steve's Special (Bass and treble pickup distance from strings with 24th fret pressed down)
Interface used to record

Something else I've noticed for years is how much better any professional's DIs sound, like ah yes this is why they made a career out of this :lol: Something else to consider re: the interface is the plugin/reamping solution you end up running this through. For example, NSDP plugins suggest boosting the input gain in the plugin based on the interface used to record, but not knowing the interface other DIs were recorded on, it won't be as accurate if the gain isn't adjusted.

Can't confirm 100%, but playing the same-ish chords as the intro to the DIs with my EMG 81 guitar tuned to Eb sounds identical to my ears.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I was going to try to provide as much context as possible whenever I upload some clips. Something like:

Ibanez RG550
Edge trem (floating)
9-42 Daddario strings in Standard
Basswood body
Maple neck & fingerboard
DiMarzio Steve's Special (Bass and treble pickup distance from strings with 24th fret pressed down)
Interface used to record

Something else I've noticed for years is how much better any professional's DIs sound, like ah yes this is why they made a career out of this :lol: Something else to consider re: the interface is the plugin/reamping solution you end up running this through. For example, NSDP plugins suggest boosting the input gain in the plugin based on the interface used to record, but not knowing the interface other DIs were recorded on, it won't be as accurate if the gain isn't adjusted.

The idea isn't to get exactly the same sound as the DI, but a basic idea of how a guitar/pickup combo would sound through your setup. Sure pickup height, string gauge, etc effects things but this is mainly about the overall tone.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Great idea. If I actually remember to hit record for once when I'm playing I'll upload some stuff soon.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Given I usually use basic chord progressions or riffs for pickup demos, does anyone care what the material actually is vs knowing the gear used?

I finally watched GlennO's reamp video on the FAS forum and I'll be making DI's for demos going forward :yesway:.

Maybe I should have watched it last night before my firmware comparisons lol

Reaction score
Given I usually use basic chord progressions or riffs for pickup demos, does anyone care what the material actually is vs knowing the gear used?

I finally watched GlennO's reamp video on the FAS forum and I'll be making DI's for demos going forward :yesway:.

Maybe I should have watched it last night before my firmware comparisons lol
I don't think the riffs matter. It's just about hearing the gear

Matt08642

Reaction score
Finally added a few files. Put them in a folder (Matt DIs) and just included the guitar make/model and the pickup. Opted against all the measurements and shit for now lol. I'll add more stuff later!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so glad I didn't put anything in yet. My USB levels were at -40dB (how I got the unit) and my DI's until this afternoon aren't gonna do squat :lol:.

Remedied now at least.