The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Quick question on buying used:
If I buy used, are there any necessary accessories I need (not USB cable, 1/4, etc). I'm talking a CD with software, or anything else I might not know about. If I buy nothing but the unit itself, power chord and USB cable I should be good to go, right? I just don't wanna get screwed, ya know.

Thanks in advance!

You can supply your own USB & AC cables. You'll want to download the beta firmware & X-Edit software anyway. Instructions available online as well, so really, you can't get screwed unless it doesn't work.:wallbash:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks Mordacain and Armada, that's what I thought but was just making, sure.

I now only need to find a good deal on a used one.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Hi guys, since I am a noob regarding gear, I was wondering if this would work:

setupuuuh.jpg

I want to run the graphic eq in the digitech's loop and in the amp's fx loop, the main idea is to get my amp sounding the same or as close as possible as when I record directly with the usb function.

I have little to no experience in rack gear, xlr outputs and I don't want to destroy my gear connecting it the wrong way.

EDIT: amp is a randall rg100sc combo

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Hm, I think that's not correct, so since I am a little lost here, does anyone here knows a good book/article to read up on rack/audio gear, focused on the signal path and connections?

Demeyes

Reaction score
Cyntex, how do you want to run the GSP with the amp? In the loop, or as a preamp through the Randalls loop return?

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
As a preamp through the Randall's loop return, but I still have to read up on XLR outputs, since I am still green in gear in general :lol:

Moro

Big damn hero
Reaction score
Cyntex, you're going to get MASSIVE feedback if you take a feed from a Line Output, EQ it and then feed it back to the send return. That wiring will not work.

If I understand what you're trying to achieve correctly, you need to use the input of the GSP (connect your guitar there), then the send should go to your outboard gear (i.e. your EQ, in MONO), then to the LEFT return of the GSP. Then a line output to your other EQ channel, and then to the return of your Randall amp. The send of the randall should not be used.

Cyntex

love & peace!
Reaction score
Allright, thanks a billion for the info, I will try it like you say . I really need to catch up on my reading regarding audio equipment though, but where to start..

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Thus far I'm really digging the "EDGE -1 ala Sneap" and "Fredman Straight" for alot of my presets. Will be digging deeper later.

What are those modeled after? I dl'd that pack but don't understand what any of them are.

Demeyes

Reaction score
If I understand what you're trying to achieve correctly, you need to use the input of the GSP (connect your guitar there), then the send should go to your outboard gear (i.e. your EQ, in MONO), then to the LEFT return of the GSP. Then a line output to your other EQ channel, and then to the return of your Randall amp. The send of the randall should not be used.

I think that sounds about right. The way Cyntex had it first is not right anyway.
I'd go guitar into GSP guitar input.
GSP loop send into channel A in of EQ
Channel A out to GSP loop return.
GSP line out to Channel B EQ in
Channel B EQ out to Randall Loop return.

You don't need to use the XLR connections at all.

To be honest though, I'd try running it without the EQ at all and see how that goes. There's a lot of EQ to mess with in the unit without over complicating things with 2 more channels to tweak. You said you want it to sound as close to the recordings from the USB, I don't think the EQ will help with that, if anything it will distract from trying to match it.

What are those modeled after? I dl'd that pack but don't understand what any of them are.
The Fredman and Sneap terms refer to the micing techniques used when creating the impulse, they are techniques used by Andy Sneap and Fredrik Nordstrom. They give slightly different sounds due to where the mic is placed and at what angle. The -1 refers to the distance in inches. You don't really need to understand these, just try a few out and pick the ones that sound best to you.

kurviak

Reaction score
Surely someone on Sevenstring.org has developed a djent tone for the GSP1101?

I can't do it. :(

Here is mine:

Distortion Model: 808
Overdrive: 5
Tone: 70
Level: 35

Amp Model: 04 Triple Rect
Cab Model: Rectified 4x12
Amp Gain: 50
Bass: 10
Midrage: 7.6
Treble: 7.6
Amp Level: 60
LPF on XLR: On

Parametric EQ:
Low Level: 3 dB
Low Freq: 500 Hz
Low Width: Wide
Mid Level: 6 dB
Mid Freq: 2.65 KHz
Mid Wdth: Medium
High Level: 3 dB
High Freq: 4.00 KHz
High Width: Medium

Turn on the noise gate and add reverb an a very short delay to your taste

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
I would like to say that I am a happy owner of a GSP1101 and C2! You guys convinced me and I found a great used deal.

I got it Tuesday and have been messing with it with quite satisfactory results! Unfortunately, I am playing it through a Marshall MG10:noplease:(yes it is as bad as it sounds) but it's the only amp I have.

The only thing that is confusing me is recording with it, I'm new to recording, and using impulses:scratch:

All in all I'm very excited! Be looking for a New Rig Day from me as soon as I get some money (thanks minimum wage...).

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
im really considering buying this from AMS.com with their 3payment option.

can this output dual amp tones? im going to pair it with some sort of stereo power amp and hope it can.

can you edit patches on teh pc? EDIT-dumb! i know it can now.seems easy too!

im trying to get into a rack. ive never had one. I DID own a rocktron pirahna that slayed. im thinkin i almost want that back haha.

i was weighing this against a vetta, a pod x?, and the E530. but this can supposedly do the 530 very well.

im thinkin a carvin ts100 or something similar for the PA.

theres just not very many good clips of these i can find.

not that it matters. but didnt chris storey use some version of the GSP?

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
The Fredman and Sneap terms refer to the micing techniques used when creating the impulse, they are techniques used by Andy Sneap and Fredrik Nordstrom. They give slightly different sounds due to where the mic is placed and at what angle. The -1 refers to the distance in inches. You don't really need to understand these, just try a few out and pick the ones that sound best to you.
See...I'm curious now.

Like, I knew what the above meant, but I think what I and op1e are wondering is what cabs they used in conjunction with those mic techniques.

Anybody know this?

paintkilz

Banned
Reaction score
Being freidman(sp?) It was prolly like a marshall equivalent v30 loaded cab. If you look up his name you will find all kinds of stuff about his recording technique and gear used. It became a staple in the melodic death/gothernburg sound.

Can anyone tell me if the "updates" that are not actual digitech overwrite the existing amp options?

I can't find anything on if it can do dual tones. Can anyone deny or confirm?

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
I can't find anything on if it can do dual tones. Can anyone deny or confirm?

I haven't tried it yet, but I think with the newer firmware you can now run an external pre-amp in conjunction with an internal amp model. So in that sense, yes, it does.

However, it doesn't have the ability to run two of it's own amp models simultaneously.

Also, on the mustbebeta forum, there was talk from Stan recently of seeing if it was possible to divide the existing models into pre and power sections, thus allowing you to mix and match those internally. Like, for example...you could use a Peavey 5150 preamp model into a Marshall JCM800 power section model. IF this pans out to be possible, THAT would be a supremely cool feature that could open up a lot of unique tonal possibilites. Hell...it'd almost be like building your own custom amps in a virtual realm! :hbang:

BTW guys....just heads up while I'm posting....C59 firmware just went up late last night. Also a new Cab uploader, which seems to have fixed a glitch when using stereo IR's.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
GAHHH, How come whenever I download any version firmware from mustbebeta (in this case C59), X-edit won't open up. I get an error stating "A parameter with address ID = yada yada is not in collection".

')