The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Ryan, it's not that the high gain patches sounded bad at all (to the contrary actually, the 5150 was tight!) but the overdrive and low gain patches all just sounded fantastic with almost every amp. The GSP's higher gain amps mostly sound crap to me and are just unusable anyway.

Yeah, when I first got mine, being my first modeler, I was way overwhelmed. But making patches is easy and I just make them as I need them. It's not really inhibiting to me at all like some people.

And your point about feeling like you own all these amps, exactly! The GSP is a fantastic unit that just requires lots of tweaking. But once you get it you can do some great things.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ryan9896

Rip it!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
yeah, i like the idea of having the different presets with the individual amp models ready to go, and the rest will just be there for gigging....like i will have 3 presets to you use for song A and 4 presets to use for song B, etc.

i am going to experiment with some of the overdrives in front of the high gain patches to try an get them sounding sweet. and i will try metal sam's clean boost approach as well.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
hi guys i'm considering one of these i have a couple of questions

i've heard digital modellers have trouble cutting through a band mix is this true?

also i' use a marshall 8004 power amp at the moment but i fear this may not be loud enough for a large gig so what power amps do you guys use? in my band we have a couple of big qsc power amps meant for pa that we don't use.would one of those do the job? obviously i'd have to watch the volume through my 4x12.

thanks for any help

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

i've heard digital modellers have trouble cutting through a band mix is this true?

also i' use a marshall 8004 power amp at the moment but i fear this may not be loud enough for a large gig so what power amps do you guys use? in my band we have a couple of big qsc power amps meant for pa that we don't use.would one of those do the job? obviously i'd have to watch the volume through my 4x12.

thanks for any help

I can't answer your 2nd question but I can your 1st.

That's bogus, if you have proper amplification and you have the EQ set correctly, then you will cut through. The EQ range guitar amps have is limited compared to what a modeler can do. What does that mean? It means that you are more able to screw everything up. EQ it at practice with the band, not at home by yourself, and you shouldn't have a problem. The only time I've ever had a problem is when I was doing the dreaded mid-scoop. I took out like all of my mids so I sounded really thin and when I was done playing my little riff I looked at the bass player and said "Wow, you did a really good job following me. That was perfect." and then he told me it was just me playing. :lol: I sounded like cymbals and bass. I've since bettered my tone. Don't forget though, you can do a slight mid-scoop but what I had done was very extreme. :D

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score

thanks for any help

1. Where on earth did you hear that. Someone who doesn't know how to eq I presume.

2. I have no experience with the Marshall, but the QSC's will work although not ideal since they're not made for guitar preamps. The general consensus is the Carvin TS100, Mesa 50/50, VHT, or something similar will to wonders for dedigitalizing the tone.

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
lol i read it on a forum somewhere jemsite i think

i currently use an old valve fx unit and the marshal gets over the drummer in practice and has served me well in gigs i just don't want to get to a venue and find out then i don't have enough headroom so i thought it might be time for something bigger but i think i'll stick with the marshall till i can afford a valve unit

thanks guys

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
lol i read it on a forum somewhere jemsite i think

i currently use an old valve fx unit and the marshal gets over the drummer in practice and has served me well in gigs i just don't want to get to a venue and find out then i don't have enough headroom so i thought it might be time for something bigger but i think i'll stick with the marshall till i can afford a valve unit

thanks guys

I'm lucky if I can ever do shows with the volume I practice with. Always less volume for shows. Normally both sides of the Velocity 250 are halfway up and the 1101 at half, but shows normally gotta turn the 1101 down to 3.5-4. At least now with the Rocktron my rig sounds THE SAME every night
no matter what the volume. Thats whats nice about solid state.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
I know this is the GSP1101 thread but I had an EQ question about the RP500. It's really more just a general EQ question but anyways.

Which one (or two) of these frequencies would be considered high mids and which one(s) would be considered low mids?

800, 850, 900, 950
1000, 1060, 1120, 1180, 1250, 1320, 1400, 1500 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900
2000, 2120, 2240, 2360, 2500, 2650, 2800
3000, 3150, 3350, 3550

Thanks

EDIT: I mean, if you had to choose one which one would be THE low mids freq.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Lowest mids are around 300 I think, and once you get up around 900 or more, you're flirting with treble frequencies. As for highs, so far I've rolled everything off after 2.25k to keep any tinny-ness out.

Bevo

Reaction score
A couple of days ago we were jaming and took a break, when we got back my GSP did not work. It was the same problem as before, you could slightly hear the guitar but no volume.
I was the only guitar player so that was the end of my night!!

The next day it never worked and I took it to the shop, they also agreed and suggested I get an exchange on special order or give it back for a refund.

Kinda sucks because I like it but it let me down a few times so I got the refund and bought a tube amp again.
Great store but bad luck with my GSP.

vansinn

Reaction score
So I see vC63 is out. Anyone try it yet? I think I'm still running vC56. Just wondering what the most stable version is currently since the cab impulses. Opinions?

I'm fairly new to the 1101. Found stomps, amps, cabs in the stock firmware fairly lame, so upgraded directly to c63.
I chose c63 after reading the release notes, indicating a number of issues in previous versions seemed to have been fixed.

It's possible my 1101 has a stability issue, but if that's not it, I find c63 pretty unstable.
Mine will do contineous warm reboots as soon as I have my A/DA MP-2 in the loop.
Also, it'll sometimes (too often) decide to reboot when I've been editing a lot, for which reason I've turned to go back'n'forth between edit and store.

Haven't yet tried custom IR's, and also not upgraded the cab loader (maybe I should, evenif not using custom IRs ?), so cannot comment on stability with those..

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I stuck with C58 and dont have any issues. Is there any good reason to go beyond C58?

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
I really don't keep up with the updates. I'll upgrade when the final one is released. C59 works fine for me.

Jogeta

Reaction score
God I love this thing!

Some improv (that needs to be improved on) using the GSP and the MKIV model RIGHT HUR

I am well aware that I'm shit btw :lol:

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
+rep for anyone who can tell me the way to control the delay time with the expression pedal on the C2.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
Never mind, Steve said in one of the earlier pages that you cant. Seems kind of lame. I don't use the expression pedal for much besides volume, and this seems like an obvious feature that people would want to control in real-time.

If I post it on the mustbebeta forum, will you guys back me up so the guy might add it?

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
That's not true. I was using it for delay level. I'll have to figure out how I did that again.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
No, I know you can control delay level. You can control just about every parameter IIRC except delay time.

')