The Digitech GSP1101 thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

George Djentson

Meet George Djentson
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't see it..

can you set the outputs so that you could:
-have your 1/4" outputs without cab simulation on for sending to a power amp (monitor for stage)
**and also**
- have your XLR outs WITH cab simulation on for sending to FOH/PA System

Metalman X

The Resplendent Sub-Human
Reaction score
Yup....when you do the initial set-up wizard it asks you if you plan on routing that way. :yesway:

sorry if this has been asked before, i didn't see it..

can you set the outputs so that you could:
-have your 1/4" outputs without cab simulation on for sending to a power amp (monitor for stage)
**and also**
- have your XLR outs WITH cab simulation on for sending to FOH/PA System

len47811

Reaction score
I just got this GSP 1101 and i can't for the life of me get any decent tones out of it,what i mean is the distortion sounds too processed,sounds like Paul Gilberts tone.Way too digital.I admit I have not done a lot of editing,but the presets all suck for the most part.I have a Kustom 36 coupe tube amp,I tried it using my amps preamp,then using the GSP's preamp.Seemed like it was better using the GSP preamp but still sounded crappy.How do i tell which version of the firmware i have?I bought this off Ebay,and if i can't get any help getting any good tones it will be going back to Ebay along with the C2 pedal.

Anyone that can help me get a better sound will be much appreciated.I play Breakin Benjamin,Disturbed,Tool etc

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Well, for starters, all the presets are dildos. It really takes a lot of tweaking to get anything good.

Metalman X

Reaction score
I just got this GSP 1101 and i can't for the life of me get any decent tones out of it,what i mean is the distortion sounds too processed,sounds like Paul Gilberts tone.Way too digital.I admit I have not done a lot of editing,but the presets all suck for the most part.I have a Kustom 36 coupe tube amp,I tried it using my amps preamp,then using the GSP's preamp.Seemed like it was better using the GSP preamp but still sounded crappy.How do i tell which version of the firmware i have?I bought this off Ebay,and if i can't get any help getting any good tones it will be going back to Ebay along with the C2 pedal.

Anyone that can help me get a better sound will be much appreciated.I play Breakin Benjamin,Disturbed,Tool etc

One thing that makes a HUGE difference actually, is playing with "amp type" in the Set Up wizard. It'll ask you, for example, if your using a "British tube amp" or "American SS amp" etc.

If you haven't done that yet, that'd be the first place you wanna look.

Also...you say you bought it used. Did you do a factory reset on it? If not, check the global EQ...someone coulda tweaked that. Just set it flat for now.

Next you may wanna get the latest Beta firmware. Not only does it open up alot of features, but it does seem to improve the tone a bit on a lot of models, as well as give you a lot more to play with than stock.

Also, be sure all your levels are set correctly, and that your FX loop is 'series'

Hope that helps! :yesway:

len47811

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Metalman

I did use the setup wizard and i chose my type of amp.Are you saying i should choose other amp types that I don't have?I have no way of knowing what firmware version i have,if there is some way to find out i'd like to know.I have the effects loop set up like the manual says.1.for using your amps tone and 1 for using gsp's tone.I have no clue about the series you spoke about.

len47811

Reaction score
On preset 4 by changing the amp type to flat,and the global settings to effects loop..Sheesh!!! This thing is confusing!

Universe74

Reaction score
One thing that makes a HUGE difference actually, is playing with "amp type" in the Set Up wizard. It'll ask you, for example, if your using a "British tube amp" or "American SS amp" etc.

I'll assume this has no bearing on direct recording?

Metalman X

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Metalman

I did use the setup wizard and i chose my type of amp.Are you saying i should choose other amp types that I don't have?I have no way of knowing what firmware version i have,if there is some way to find out i'd like to know.I have the effects loop set up like the manual says.1.for using your amps tone and 1 for using gsp's tone.I have no clue about the series you spoke about.

Well...first...amp type. Yes, setting it to your actual amp type is probably best, and this is supposed to allow the models to sound the most like their supposed to.

BUT...there's no rule that says you can't set it to another. It does actually change the voicing quite a bit. So a little experimentation may be rewarding. I say if all else fails, give it a go...can always change it back to whatever you thought was best.

As for Firmware...I THINK when you first turn it on, the screen will show the Firmware version for a second or two. X-Edit (the units software editor/library, you can use when hooked up to your PC via USB) I think will tell you as well.

Go check out this site when you get a chance: Beta versions for DigiTech
Thats where you get the latest Beta firmware and accompanying X-Edit software. Also, the cab loader GUI as well....so, there's another route for you...loading up your own IR's. There's many that blow away the 1101's cab sims, and this alone will vastly improve your tones.

Oh, and when I said series loop, that was referring to your amp. As in, is your amp's FX loop series or parallel. The GSP is meant to work with a series loop. So if your loop is parallel you need to engage the "kill dry" function. Now...again, I'm not cetain the stock firmware has that. Check the manual for the deet's on kill dry if it's their.

Metalman X

Reaction score
I'll assume this has no bearing on direct recording?

Well...maybe.

It really depends on how your feeding direct. It only effects the 1/4" jacks, so if your 1/4" outputs think their feeding an amp (consult the 'set up wizard' if your not sure), than yes...it's being filtered by the 'amp type' setting. Which may or may not work for you. That'd be a judgement call for your ears.

However, typically, it's supposed to be only for running into your amp, thus, if your going direct via the XLR's, than no...it will have no effect on your direct tone.

Universe74

Reaction score
I record usb, but my 1/4's go to my tube head so its set up to that setting in Wizard 7.

Kairos

Quintessentially So
Reaction score
In my experience, recording with the 1101's direct usb just plain isn't good. Get an interface if you want it to sound good recording. :2c:

Universe74

Reaction score
In my experience, recording with the 1101's direct usb just plain isn't good. Get an interface if you want it to sound good recording. :2c:

Can anyone else confirm this? I was looking at getting an m-Audio Fast track.

George Djentson

Meet George Djentson
Reaction score
question...i loaded up some cabs using GIRL.
everything seems to have worked right.

but, and I'm at bedroom volumes here for the moment, I kinda like the cab sim on even while running thru my cab.
am I crazy?

')