The "Dj" word. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
First, THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR BASHING! Opinions and not-so-friendly jokes are more than fine (in my opinion) but we all have our own tastes! No need in being a dick!

If this has been asked before, then shit. I hate being "that guy" :lol:

But who here still does the whole "djent" thing?
Just curious! I see a ton of ergonomics and fanned frets posted here and I just assume "Whelp, s/he's a Djent player" but that seems kind of dick-ISH on my part to just assume. So I figured I'd just ask outright!

So, who's into it?

For reference, I play Death Metal through and through :evil:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DXL

Reaction score
I've only been recently getting into djent but I use it as something to relax to

Nats

Reaction score
I do. I program all the instruments myself(drums, guitar and bass) on my MacBook pro. I even program vocals.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I don't outright hate it, but most of it doesn't really appeal to me. I like that band Aristeia.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
It's a bit too souless for me. A band here and there, but nothing that I'd call a favorite.

I write noise, not music..

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
I have a lot of "djent" influences in my writing.

Well that's not entirely true, I have Cloudkicker, Meshuggah and Uneven Structure influences in some of my riff writing - which I guess could sorta count as djenty writing?

I'm not a big fan of limiting yourself creatively to a specific genre, and while I play an 8-string guitar on a lot of my songs, I never specifically *try* to stick to only a djenty sort of writing.

Like, one song I'll do something like this:

and then the next something like this:

Both written and recorded on an 8-string.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
i like after the burial, they have some pretty djent shit. but thats about it. im not really into meshuggah or vljharwhateverthe..... nor do i play djent, but i do own a pendulum pro fanned fret 8. sooooo...

Bazz22

Reaction score
It depends. This is just my personal opinion, but I've found that bands who classify themselves as "djent" lean on the bland side when it comes to song-writing.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I definitely take a lot of influence from early-Bulb rhythmical concepts whenever I write some heavy stuff, but I can't say I ever really "djent" in any of the stuff I write or choose to write. It's cool when you're listening to Insomnia, Tiger and all those cool songs, but anybody else doing it (other than the 'Shugg, although we all know they don't really truly "djent" in the newer sense of the word, more than they skull-f*ck-you-with-8-strings sort of thing), in my opinion, isn't really bring anything new to the table.

I have a guitar that I specifically tailored to have a "djent"-esque sounding tone - mahogany ibanez with BKP painkillers. That thing sounds absolutely massive. Though I come from a death metal background like OP, I prefer the "purr" sound of a lower-register chugging, not the metallic-grind sound, but that's just me. If you're still into it, more power to ya!

bigswifty

Reaction score
^ Cloudkicker could hardily be called djent, wouldn't you say?

I mean, a couple songs off the Discovery maybe, and a few others. But none really have that tight choppy palm mute djent staple.

I still listen to the bands that influenced the trend. Chimp Spanner, Periphery, AaL, Tesseract, etc. I almost miss the days when I'd find a new Bulb track demo up on the recording forum, but as of recent years djent has really become stale to me. So much so, that I find listening to these bands (with the exception of Chimp Spanner) almost too much at times.

:2c:

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
Not I, I pretty much just play death metal and stoner metal.

However because of the thread title I was half hoping it would be a church of djod thread :lol:

Cnev

Reaction score
Auré Pereira is the only guy I listen to. His 'When The Day Forms' EP is nothing short of brilliant. I really haven't heard much else that captured my attention. Maybe a Vildhjarta moment here and there, but even those are set in what I find to be an incredibly stale and abrasive mix and sit behind a vocal style I absolutely cannot stand.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
Most of the actual music is very cold, sterile, and just bland. Especially it's namesake "djent" tone. I do not like that. I do take some influence from the rhythmic wankery, though. I'm quite fond of odd timings.

nostealbucket

aint no gahdam woman
Reaction score
I'm a progressive guy (BTBAM, King Crimson, The Mars Volta...). I hate how the whole djent term is being lumped into the genre, since very little about djent is progressive (IMO). I think djent will become the new deathcore and it will follow the same path. Everybody is going to sound the same and it'll die off. Of course, the giants in the genre won't die, since they define it.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Djent has always struck me as a subgenre where the skills of the engineer recording the music are far more important than those of the performer actually performing the music.

Generally all of the instruments are heavily edited, sampled, replaced, quantized to a grid, eq'd, gated or even just programmed outright which makes me question the point even including a human performer at all rather than simply programming everything.

Due to this I have no interest in the subgenre.

Reaction score
I actually have heard some Djent with killer soul-churning melodies in it with the clean movements and solos.

But then again, I heard some Djent that you could tell was some sterile mathcore derivative and you can tell a computer did all the work.

For me, it's about a 1/10 situation. 10% fall into the first category. The other 90% fall into the second category.

I listen to alot of bands, and even tried to Djent myself at one point, but got bored with it and decided to go back to writing my trademark brand of "cyber metal" (just a mix of industrial metal, groove metal, and metalcore with a bit of dubstep. We have fun!)

Reaction score
Generally all of the instruments are heavily edited, sampled, replaced, quantized to a grid, eq'd, gated or even just programmed outright which makes me question the point even including a human performer at all rather than simply programming everything.

This ^

Backs up my previous statement above, and I 100% agree with this. The aspect of having an actual human performing the music becomes irrelevant. Just like any genre or subgenre of electronic/techno music. Human performance is superfluous and irrelevant.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I use my fanned 6 string mostly for stuff like this (which has 3 guitar tracks and 3 synths): https://soundcloud.com/dbartko/ambient-b although it can be used for stuff like this: Caffeination | D.Bartko - though I don't know if it qualifies as Djent either. I will say I'm going through quite the ambient/electronic writing phase currently and I enjoy listening to a lot of that genre (djent) for ideas on how to build synth patches and layering textures in an aggressive fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')