The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Carry your 1000 pedals in their own separate boxes and then plug them up for your 1/2 set opening for three bands.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Standing there looking at the fretboard the WHOLE show.

Like wise, not getting into the music at all, the audience sometimes needs to see energy to get moving.

Singers/guitarists turning away from the crowd for no reason. Especially during solos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my pet hates on smaller shows is guitarists/singers that insist on getting down on the floor with the crowd. It always comes off as a bit desperate, if your music/stageshow isn't connecting with them then you need to re-think things.

Don't make personal jokes with your mates in the crowd, there's other people in the audience as well.

If there's technical issues, for gods sake someone else in the band cover it. An impromptu solo/jam/joke/dance routine is all it takes. (and don't call your audience names to cover it :rolleyes: )

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
Band members getting totally obliterated prior to hitting the stage. Drugs and alcohol in moderation may help you get up there, but go too far and you're gonna play like crap (even though you hear yourself as being the next guitar god).

nitelightboy

I poop in shoes.
Contributor
Reaction score
And let's not forget abouta band that just stands there. FRIGGIN' DO SOMETHING!!! Hear that Dream THeater? :lol:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
spitting.

H

Bullshit.

Opeth rules live. In every way.

:mad:

like i say man; i love their music and almost everything about them, i was engaged, i just didn’t enjoy watching them.

this was overall several sittings a few years ago, mind. he may have pulled something out the bag since then, but being glued to a mic stand just doesn’t do it for me.

H

frontmen who apologise / explain / are overwhelmingly negative.

“i know we’re shit, but, my postman kicked me this morning and that’s why i didn’t hit that note in…”

just get on with it, nobody’s interested in reasons or excuses for pulling punches.

H

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
While we're on that one, DON'T forget to entertain your audience. Unless you're Dream Theater/Steve Vai etc, your audience is not entirely made up of musicians and they really don't care if you're playing in a 'Mixolydian half gypsy nunchuck' scale. Entertain them for the sake of all that is carbon based.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Oooooh ooooh oooooh, another one. Don't, please please don't, dedicate the next song to your girlfriend. No-one else sees the beauty in your saggy, mole ridden walrus of an attempt at human likeness. Just don't. really.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
Oooooh ooooh oooooh, another one. Don't, please please don't, dedicate the next song to your girlfriend. No-one else sees the beauty in your saggy, mole ridden walrus of an attempt at human likeness. Just don't. really.

or perhaps as a second to that - overly long diatribes between nearly each & every song, a la phil anselmo / axl rose.

and perhaps then once actually off the stage (and sometimes on) - laypeople such as bono genuinely postulating on politics as if he’s in a position to be revered. it’s an abuse of profile, IMO.

H

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
or perhaps as a second to that - overly long diatribes between nearly each & every song, a la phil anselmo / axl rose.

H

And also conversely, long silences/technical fiddling between songs.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
You know what I hate?
Singers who get all pissed off at people who aren't standing right up front in their face. Now it's one thing to say "I wanna see some movement!" or "Hey, lets all get up and mosh!" But when they go up and be a complete ASSHOLE about it, it's just fucking stupid. For example: "Hey!! You stupid mother fuckers at the bar sitting down! Get your drunk lazy asses up here! I wanna see you mother fuckers moving right now!!" *Crowd simultaneously thinks this guy is an asshole and stops paying attention* "Hey! I'm talking to you! Get the fuck up!"

...Nothing makes me want to NOT pay attention more.

Nick

Reaction score
being mikael akerfeldt.

stunning music, stellar vocals, drab to watch.

H

when i saw opeth he was moving around the stage and having fun.

Some guys just arent going to go crazy on stage they just arent like that.

Latest posts