The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
No acoustic tips? I just played accompanyment for a number of different productions (both piano and acoustic guitar), and things you DO need to remember.

1. Make sure your mic is in position or setup on stage (if possible) right in the place your going to be sitting, before you perform. (Acoustic guitar)

2. Make sure your strings are relatively new and stretched out (I went out of tune halfway through a song)

3. Don't stop even if the performers lose tempo, beat, or place (especially if your the only accompaniment)

Awesome metal tips guys

Reaction score
haha yeah i agree man
you seen micheal romeo play?
he is just this pear shaped guy that stands there and wobbles!:lol:

I don't know. This is the first Symphony X Live performance I've ever seen (vox style is annoying) but I'd rather have some wobbling than an annoying ass singer shouting random stupid shit in the mic.

"Keep on rockin!" = :shannon2:

Born_Headless

Frolics in pathos
Reaction score
I don't know. This is the first Symphony X Live performance I've ever seen (vox style is annoying) but I'd rather have some wobbling than an annoying ass singer shouting random stupid shit in the mic.
"Keep on rockin!" = :shannon2:
To be fair, he was clearly drunk as fuck in that video. This was certainly not his best performance...Probably good motivation not to perform drunk....

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
haha yeah i agree man
you seen micheal romeo play?
he is just this pear shaped guy that stands there and wobbles!:lol:

When you play like that, you don't *have* to move.

He's also still got more stage presence than the sober Petrucci. :lol:

WTF? Russ is hammered in that video. Not a good representation at all, IMO. He wipes the floor with pretty much everyone not named Dickinson or Dio most nights.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't quit! Playing a good live show takes a LOT of practice. This one may have been bad, the next will be better.

Even after 25 years of doing this, it still holds true. My last show was stress hell. (Of course, when you're playing, singing, AND running sound...) The next one will be better.

Shooter

Drinkin' a Pizza
Reaction score
No coordinated dance moves. Leave that to the boy bands.

And how about one rule to the audience: Don't yell "FREEBIRD!", escpecially if ten other guys have already said it. I'm sick of going to shows where somebody's yellin' "freebird" after every song. It might be kinda funny the first time, but after that... If anyone does that shit while I'm playing, I'm gonna go ahead and play it... all 10-15 mins of it... in Randy Newman's voice.. just for the hell of it.

Born_Headless

Frolics in pathos
Reaction score
And how about one rule to the audience: Don't yell "FREEBIRD!", escpecially if ten other guys have already said it. I'm sick of going to shows where somebody's yellin' "freebird" after every song. It might be kinda funny the first time, but after that... If anyone does that shit while I'm playing, I'm gonna go ahead and play it... all 10-15 mins of it... in Randy Newman's voice.. just for the hell of it.

Seriously. That shit was old before Hicks went on his tirade about it.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score

:rofl:

Good point though, and same goes for "More Cowbell" and (less frequently though disturbingly building in frequency) "Spider Pig"

')