The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

deathmask666

Filthy Fat ....er
Reaction score
No dancing!!!

We played with a "metalcore/emo" band a couple of weeks ago in MD and all the singer did was dance sticking his ass in the faces of the crowd. There was a transvestite gay dude at the show that said exactly this "I'm gay but that guy is a faggot".

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
No dancing!!!

We played with a "metalcore/emo" band a couple of weeks ago in MD and all the singer did was dance sticking his ass in the faces of the crowd. There was a transvestite gay dude at the show that said exactly this "I'm gay but that guy is a faggot".

You sure that wasn't at the Bourbon Room/Penis Lounge?

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
dont pretend to be a gorilla, dont pretend to cast fucking spells on the audience, and dont audition for a fucking petey pablo video and twirl your shirt over your head like a fucking helicopter, and accidently hit your drummer with it and tangle it up in his cymbals, all cause youre and idiot and did another thing you shouldnt do, being a keyboardist in a band and setting entire verses and chorus' to triggers so you have nothing to do.
oh and dont join scary kids scaring kids. they suck live
unless you want esp to endorse you, which i dont get :scratch:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Band members getting totally obliterated prior to hitting the stage. Drugs and alcohol in moderation may help you get up there, but go too far and you're gonna play like crap (even though you hear yourself as being the next guitar god).

^^^^there it is right there^^^Could not have said it better myself!!!!:agreed:

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Learn how to help other members set up their gear. It takes me two seconds to set my amp up and connect everything... So I usually help my drummer set up.

Don't sit around with your thumbs up your butt, or play your guitar.

I hate it when people turn their amps up and start wanking while everyone else is setting up their shit... :scream: Help set up so you don't push the show back a half hour asshole!

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
And we've found that opening with a cover is a GREAT way to get the crowd to come up to the stage when you're playing. Every time we open with a Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. people come running up to the stage.

They come running like cattle. I was in a band that pulled that crap years ago. When I hear a band play a cover song these days, especially open with one, even if it's well played, it makes me wish i had a flame thrower. Especially if it's a Pantera/Metallica/Slayer song. If the best thing people say about a band is "dude, they played Slayer" then I'm not interested.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
They come running like cattle. I was in a band that pulled that crap years ago. When I hear a band play a cover song these days, especially open with one, even if it's well played, it makes me wish i had a flame thrower. Especially if it's a Pantera/Metallica/Slayer song. If the best thing people say about a band is "dude, they played Slayer" then I'm not interested.

I kind of agree. I'm really against playing cover songs. I think a more clever way to go about it would be to perhaps add in a 'cover riff' like in as an intro or outro to one of your own songs. Type O Negative does this live all the time and it sounds so cool. Out of nowhere BOOM there's the intro to [insert Black Sabbath song here].

Bands who want to do cover songs though, that's fine. So I wouldn't list it as a "dont", as its just my opinion. But I do agree with DBC's sentiments. I'm not looking to impress anybody by how well I can play Change of Seasons or Reign in Blood. I'd rather people either love or hate my music and live with that. I can play along to my favorite bands on my own time :)

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
don't get me started on the covers thing :lol:. the last show i played, one of the other bands decided to do a Pantera medley which felt like it went on for an hour :noway: :lol:. seriously, leave covers to cover bands/ tribute bands.

if you have to use someone elses songs to get a reaction from a crowd, it means YOUR material sucks and you have some work to do.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
if you have to use someone elses songs to get a reaction from a crowd, it means YOUR material sucks and you have some work to do.

Eh, that's one side of the coin. The other is that a well-placed, well-done cover might make you memorable to certain segments of the crowd. Not everyone responds well to a band in the less-than-ideal live situations.

However, a ten-minute Pantera medley is bad. :lol:

')