The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
If you break a string mid-solo, play the solo with 5 (well, on this forum 6) strings. If you do this, and have a floyd sans tremolo, panic (Actually, whammy squeals...)

Also, not putting a toaster in a bathtub...onstage...don't do it

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
put the cable in around the strap so if you BEGIN to step on it you don't yank it out and its out of your way.

adjust your strap to where you can PLAY not to where it looks "cool"
I could care less,I wanna hear the quality,not see you playing with yourself

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been said in all these pages but:

If you can't do windmills and play the guitar/keep balance and not fall over after 20 seconds of straight thrashing yet?...DON'T FUCKING TRY IT, MKAY?

This hasn't happened to me but I know It has happened to many people.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been said in all these pages but:

If you can't do windmills and play the guitar/keep balance and not fall over after 20 seconds of straight thrashing yet?...DON'T FUCKING TRY IT, MKAY?

This hasn't happened to me but I know It has happened to many people.

That happened to me too... unfortunately it was in front of 2000 people. :wallbash: :lol:

This thread was worth the bump too. There's a lot that's been said that's essential. Also:

Try to have your backup guitar to have similar specs to your main guitar. It may not be much but it makes a big difference depending on your playing style. My band's album launch, I broke a string on my Xiphos and used my Les Paul as a backup, which felt really awkward on certain songs. This curse happened again when we opened for Testament last night :wallbash:, but my backup this time was one of my RGs so it felt much better.

That said, try to have a backup contingency for everything if possible.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I'm not about to read 11 pages, so this may be a repeat, but:

STOP taking so God damn long to break down your gear after your set. You're cutting into the next band's stage time. I haven't played a gig (with a band) in more than a decade, but every time I go to a show and watch some douche of a drummer stopping to have a 20 minute conversation while he's supposed to be disassembling his 50 piece kit, it just makes me want to deck him as a favor to whatever band is up next.

NickDowe

Last Red Ember
Reaction score
You know what I hate?
Singers who get all pissed off at people who aren't standing right up front in their face. Now it's one thing to say "I wanna see some movement!" or "Hey, lets all get up and mosh!" But when they go up and be a complete ASSHOLE about it, it's just fucking stupid. For example: "Hey!! You stupid mother fuckers at the bar sitting down! Get your drunk lazy asses up here! I wanna see you mother fuckers moving right now!!" *Crowd simultaneously thinks this guy is an asshole and stops paying attention* "Hey! I'm talking to you! Get the fuck up!"

...Nothing makes me want to NOT pay attention more.

Oh my f'ing god!!! My singer is a complete cunt and he does this at every show even though i have told him not to. Which is why after this last show i am kicking him out... that and the entire show he kept stepping on my pedal board and knocking me onto a clean channel during shred parts.. and he even ran into the head stock of my guitar knocking it out of tune when his face hit the tuning pegs... 3 years of playing with this guy and i finally can't take it anymore.:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Agreed. Any time a band member tries to force crowd participation is lame-sauce in my eyes.

"Put your hands in the air!!" *I stick up my middle finger*

"I wanna see everybody move!!" *I 'move' straight to the exit*

"Put your hands together!!" *I don't clap for the rest of the set*

"I want everybody to sing this next part with me!!" *I go find something to drink and probably spend the rest of the set outside smoking, or something*

Few things turn me off more than somebody telling me how to listen to/enjoy music/musical performance.

*note* All of the above are probably fine if we're talking about some GIANT festival with THOUSANDS of attendants, but when you're in a dive bar playing to 20 people, knock that shit off. Seriously.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
Lol yup, fucking hope it all holds together!! Rehearsal ran smoothly today though, and got another tomorrow so we should be fine :) Then Im out!! XD

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say you've got shitty bands then. Because my band covers songs great (Check out our MySpace videos if you don't believe me). And we've found that opening with a cover is a GREAT way to get the crowd to come up to the stage when you're playing. Every time we open with a Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. people come running up to the stage. Then they stay there for the rest of the set. And we like to finish with a good cover too, which gets them even more interested into you. Last show we did, we opened with "...And Justice For All" and ended with "Raining Blood".

Covers can fuck off. Local bands playing covers does two things. 1) It makes your originals sound like shit by comparison because you're playing likely one of _____'s best songs and 2) Halving the chance of being remembered, because people will just remember the cover. Every single local band I've seen that played a cover, I can just remember the cover.

')