The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Path

Reaction score
Dont:
And im talking from experience here cuz it happened to us,
Turn up to a gig that you got asked to play by the main band,
Play your set (after borrowing gear),
then fuck off before the end of the gig before having even watched the other bands who set u up with the gig and lent you gear...

Its fucking rude.

Edit: i didnt read what the last few posts were, but yeh, it further proves the point.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
So you noticed that bands just leave after they are done? Or the other way around.

That they leave right after they're done.

Also, heaps of bands hang "out the back" until its their turn to go on. There may be 5 people in the crowd and 35 out the back in little groups.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Don't ever stop playing if you fuck up! Also, don't just stand there but also, don't just flail yourself around the stage (unless your DEP). Be prepared for the worst. Bring extra cables, straps, picks, batteries, mics, guitar stands. Also invest in a screw driver, some allen keys, a string winder, and duct tape.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
Put the music before everything else, especially stage presence. It doesn't matter how good you look if you sound like shit.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Remember: stage presence and image are THE most important things to keep in mind while you are playing. You can be playing the most beautiful thing in the world, but if the opposite sex doesn't want to fuck you, its not worth it.

blister7321

Reaction score
this is more for promoters
Show up on early
pay the fucking venue
tell the bands if theres sound equipment there
dont tell the bands the night before that they had to have a set # of people there to see them specifically
dont switch the venue 3 fucking times so the bands cant even tell people where the hell theyre going

for bands be prepared for anything if you have a pa bring it mics cables strings straps instruments
be early

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have one I think I've finally taught my bass player to stop doing :lol:

Playing back to back or side by side etc. might look cool, but leaning against your bandmates picking arm is NOT a good idea... I've had several cool unison parts with my bass player destroyed because he leaned against my arm so I couldn't play the damn part :noway:

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Actually I thought of a legit one.

When you are doing a warm up/soundcheck on stage, (unless you are Paul Ryan) do not sweep or showboat, even if it is a technical band. It makes you look like you're trying too hard and faggoty...

Reaction score
Even if you have a decent following and thing your balls dont stink, dont be an asshole and forget the band names of the bands opening before you when you say "lets hear it for so and so". Irritating.

Osorio

Reaction score
Just be polite to people. Respect them and they will most likely respect you back; but just in case they don't, there is no need to be a prick about it; just let it go and avoid the person in the future if at all possible. If not, you already know who you are dealing with.

Personally speaking, I hate when I hear stuff being sampled.
If your music is not going to sound the same live as it does on the album, why try to fake it? Do something different with it. You are a musician and your job is to play, so do it.
That violin intro doesn't NEED to be a violin, it can be a smooth bass lead. Or some other crazy stuff. Be inventive. Make it worth my while.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
When it comes to the stage, the road to it and on it is paved in duct tape. Honestly, it's a musician's best friend.....

Also, it should be obvious, but for the love of god invest in a noise gate/suppressor. Honestly, nothing kills a show and everyone's hearing quite like an amp that hums and squeals like crazy. Also, if your amp is doing this, don't just ignore it or pretend it isn't happening. Turn the damn amp off if necessary, but please, for the love of science, make the goddamn noise stop.

Moonfridge

Reaction score
If your music is not going to sound the same live as it does on the album, why try to fake it? Do something different with it. You are a musician and your job is to play, so do it.
That violin intro doesn't NEED to be a violin, it can be a smooth bass lead. Or some other crazy stuff. Be inventive. Make it worth my while.

I actually disagree with this, I honestly don't see anything wrong with sampling things live and think it can make a performance sound much bigger than it would normally, also I don't think you can always substitue things like that without losing some of the intended effect.

Osorio

Reaction score
I don't know, my opinion comes with a bit of context, maybe. I used to play bass in a 5 piece band (2 guitars, bass, drums + keys). People honestly wanted to sample a flute melody when the keyboardist wasn't really doing anything special. I honestly think it borders on laziness, depending on how it is done.
It's different when it is a 3 piece power trio sampling a second guitar, or a band with no bass sampling one. Or a power trio sampling an orchestra, but that last one really seems just silly to me. I would rather see a rawer performance, but that is just me, of course.

I always remember Blind Guardian playing live. Not that they don't use sampling at all, but their albums are pretty damn impossible to reproduce, and they don't really try it. They sound different live and their performance grows because of it.

Personal opinion, of course.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score

I sample on stage, but never instruments. Usually voices and stuff just to add kicks to our set. Things like
"We interrupt your regular broadcast for this important new bulletin"

"Hey, dudes. When you're new in the neighborhood, and nobody knows who you are, and you wanna make friends... here's what you do" (Onto a big sludgy doom section :hbang:)

"We will not be held responsible for any hearing impairment, or damage, caused to you by excessive exposure to this sound" (thats a good one to open with :lol:)

Other times it will be sound effects like ambiance, waves, or other such nonsense.

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
I sample on stage, but never instruments. Usually voices and stuff just to add kicks to our set. Things like
"We interrupt your regular broadcast for this important new bulletin"

"Hey, dudes. When you're new in the neighborhood, and nobody knows who you are, and you wanna make friends... here's what you do" (Onto a big sludgy doom section :hbang:)

"We will not be held responsible for any hearing impairment, or damage, caused to you by excessive exposure to this sound" (thats a good one to open with :lol:)

Other times it will be sound effects like ambiance, waves, or other such nonsense.

We've started opening by playing Wu Tang over the PA system.

BRING THE MOTHA FUCKIN RUCKUS

:scream:

GHost_QC

Addicted to strings
Reaction score
Seriously this thread is a great idea ! Some says this may scares some beginners but, personally, I think that sharing our own personal bad experiences will helps (I hope !) to prevent those shits that can happens often (even more if you're playing into local shows..). Anyway, a wise person will learn from his own errors, but a wiser person will learn from his own errors and the other's errors.

So I will try my best to find don't that doesn't figures in this thread:

-Seriously, even if you're a humoristic band.. Never throw a beans can into the public just to be original... Saw this once and someone got a bad headache out of it..

-Don't do stage tricks if you have not properly mastered 'em.. Coz a) you may injured someone or even yourself. b) you'll probably miss some crucial notes doing it (or even tempo). and c) You're a musician, not a ninja for fuck sakes !

-I'm not saying to be suspicious every time about the sound man, some are really incredible ! But, (personal experience here too) sometimes they act like total motherfuckers just because it is a local gig or a bar show. I got one at a local gig that went out to drink some beer outside after a few notes of our opening song and we got a serious and obvious feed problem.. At least, my guitarist is pretty with mix so he fixed it and we never let this guy touch our sound again...

-I know this one has been said so many times but, don't be harsh on other band or the venue. After all, being a musician out there is so hard, why should we drown each other to surface while we could (and should) respect each other, help each other. It is more pleasant to have some peoples to party with after the show instead of getting a black eye for being a dick !

-THE CROWD IS YOUR JUDGE. Don't argue with 'em, don't be a dick with 'em THEY ARE THE ONE LISTENING TO YOUR SHIT !! They will choose if your band sucks or not and their is nothing you can do about it excepts try to do better afterward. Like some said too, don't command them neither.. They know what to do and they will if they feel like it (even for the wall of death things, don't know for you guys but at my local show people always asking for one for each good bands so not even needs to ask 'em ! Maybe it is just the fact that I live in a hellhole into the Quebec province XD)

-Brings your fucking shit it's your fucking job !! I'm flexible enough to lend some of my gear but I never lend nothing to kiddos. Shit happens at every show, be fucking prepared for everything !! NO EXCUSES, NO MERCY !! You don't got your stock, you go to the fucking store and borrow it, and if it's too late, too bad for you asshole I won't ruin my sound and/or set cause you didn't prepared yourself properly!

-I heard that one too and wanted to repeat this one because it is a major one, NOW YOUR FUCKING SET (fortunately, it didn't happen to me but I saw this twice)!! Geez.. If not even mastering your set WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE ?! I can stand a band that plays well without any presences on stage (I get bored to death and drink some beers but at least I appreciate that they masterize their set !)

-even if your popular and getting paid nicely, DON'T OVERESTIMATE YOURSELF !! As a roller coaster, you'll fall down as fast as you climb up, and when you'll be down you'll need bands to support you and help you getting back on your track. I think friendship (or could we say bandmateship ?) is as important as your actual image.

That's the points I can think about right now but there are far more than these, but I think that this topic must have touched those points at least once :p

And again, this topic is gold mine of crucial informations about lives performances and would recommend we take those tricks and write a book with 'em :p

\m/--(-_-)--\m/

FaceGrater

thedowntunedblog.com
Reaction score
Just from the experiences in my old band:

1. The singer is the main voice of the band. If he/she is awkward on stage they make it awkward for the audience. The singer in my old band took a long time to come into his own. His antics of standing in the same spot. Lack of eye contact with the audience and air guitar with me were swiftly corrected by the rest of us in the band. I think a great example of an energetic front man is Roy Khan. Saw him live with Kamelot a few years ago and was impressed with how he presented himself on stage and how he interacted with the audience.

2. I was guilty of standing still as a guitarist for a long time. We were metal and I looked like some kid playing shoegazing. Move around! Headbang! Unless you are playing shoegaze I guess.

3. Don't ignore the other bands you are playing with. Offer to help them out with their set up and tear down. It's a great way to network with other groups. My band became really good friends with some guys in another band. It was nice helping each other with getting shows and just added to the great vibe of it all. Plus if someone in your band doesn't work out, maybe one of those guys will... That happened with us more than once.

')