The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DjentDjentlalala

Reaction score
Yesterday i played with my bass music academy band,all pop songs (Coldplay,Skunk Anansie,Alanis Morrisette) a [quick note,i dont listen to that kind of music,but i can do some cool stuff,especially over Skunk Anansie] but anyway,there was a guy,coming side stage and ALWAYS saying to all the bands to sped up,cos they didnt had time....turned out this guy played in the last band,and it was just a "frog fest",full of old people eating fried frogs in a very small town.

The lesson is,dont be annoying to bands playing.it's not goddamn Reading festival,it's a shit festival in a small town.I knew he played in the last band only today,but i'll be messaging this guy soon to tell him how annoying and disrespectful his behaviour was.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
1) No energy
2) OUT OF TUNE..... This drives me absolutely ape shit.
3) Mumbling
4) 1 guitar and a string breaks.

Reaction score
Drummers- tune your drums up before you get there, your drums sound just as bad as an out of tune guitar and set up your gear before you go on stage for quick transitions.

Bass- Ensure your strings are in good condition. So many bassists just replace strings when they break and this is not good as they start sounding bad a long time before they break.

Guitarists- Dont turn your amps up too loud. If your on stage and turn your amp up so loud that you can hear it perfectly from standing up, the front row of people will be getting destroyed by your amp sound. If your tone only sounds good when turned up to 20, you have a shit guitar sound. Move around on stage and look like you actually enjoy your music, if it looks like you dont then no one else will.
Make sure your pedals/guitars have fresh batteries if they are active and make sure you have fresh strings and tune up before you hit the stage.

Keyboardists- Make sure you have levelled out your patches because it sucks when you can barely hear the piano and then the strings blow your brains out.

Singers- Learn mic technique and bring your own mic, they are cheap and can avoid illness spreading because you all obviously have aids.

General- Be nice to your sound guy as they are your saving grace when on stage and if your a cunt, your fucked. Dont break shit, shit is expensive.

When sound checking, just play something basic that demonstrates what you will be playing, its not a jam session or a shred contest between guitarists.

Make sure you entertain, this is the entertainment industry. Not the standing around focused on my fret board industry.

xchristopherx

Reaction score
Do not sing with a drink in your other hand.
Do not hit yourself in the head with the mic.
Do not have only one guitar and break a string. Or need a huge tuning difference for half of your set.
Do not call people pussy or faggot into a microphone.
Do not show your frustration if kids aren't buying it.
Do not ask "are we having a good time tonight?" after every song.
Do not cover strength beyond strength. (you aren't going to pull it off)
Do not get on a stage if you are incapable of tuning your instrument.
Do not cover a song by a band in the same genre as you who is still around.
Do not use samples that are louder than your actual band.
And please do not play live shows if you don't love playing shows.

I love playing live, I think recording sucks. I hate booking, driving, loading in, actively selling merch, arguing over our guarantee when it's contracted, getting things stolen, living out of a suitcase, having a cold for 4 months, etc. But I LOVE that 20 to 30 minutes of playing. Meeting new kids all the time is awesome. Seeing the world for free is the best. It's too bad when bands are obviously not appreciative of the blessing that being able to play live is.

In terms of DOs: you should always give 110%. If it's a huge venue, warped tour or a knights of Columbus. I think you should play each show like it's going to be your last. Just my .02

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Make sure you entertain, this is the entertainment industry. Not the standing around focused on my fret board industry.

While I'd agree with pretty much everything else you said, I'd have to clarify part of this.

A lot of people seem to think that if a guitarist doesn't move around on stage, then it's a boring/awful show.
However- I'd much rather have a stationary band that sounds great than a band that's jumping around and sounds bad. In my personal opinion, sound should always > stage movement. Moving around and focusing on stage presence is fine, provided you can play your material more than competently while doing it.

tm20

Reaction score
had my first live performance today.....stared at my guitar the whole time :| didn't enjoy the performance at all, I just wanted to get it done and over with, I'm guessing this is a bad sign for the future of me being in the band?

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
had my first live performance today.....stared at my guitar the whole time :| didn't enjoy the performance at all, I just wanted to get it done and over with, I'm guessing this is a bad sign for the future of me being in the band?

No man, I'd say it's just nerves. First performance is hard as hell! I sweat through my shirt in the first 2 songs of my first show and I barely sweat usually. The more experience you get the more natural it gets. Just keep on with it!

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
If it IS a particularly small room, as a drummer try to use a bit of control, the whole mix usually has to be built around the snare and cymbals. If you are doing your best to put a hole in your snare, or break a cymbal with every hit, it just starts the volume war, then the guitars have to be louder, then the singer can't hear himself, and all of a sudden instead of a full mix coming out of the PA, all that's coming through is some kick and vocals.

I screamed at my drummer once because of this. I basically told him you will be the reason we sound like shit...he got the message.

Idaho

Reaction score
Just skimmed a few posts of people saying about bands that stare at their feet against bands that move around a lot. I think it really depends on the band. I've seen live vids of Periphery and they seem just really focused on playing. Then again August Burns Red seem to have a little bit more action to them.

Personally I like to see a band enjoying themselves. I can make do with a couple of mistakes if they're throwing themselves into it. If I want note perfect then that's what the album is for. I want the live energy.

Murmel

Reaction score

Don't worry dude, everyone is different with how they react to their first performance.

I tore shit up more than I ever have since in my first performance. I don't think that's very common though :lol:

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Don't worry dude, everyone is different with how they react to their first performance.

I tore shit up more than I ever have since in my first performance. I don't think that's very common though :lol:

You're a bassist. you don't count.

:wub:

tm20

Reaction score
No man, I'd say it's just nerves. First performance is hard as hell! I sweat through my shirt in the first 2 songs of my first show and I barely sweat usually. The more experience you get the more natural it gets. Just keep on with it!

ah ok, thanks dudes :) will keep practicing

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
ah ok, thanks dudes :) will keep practicing

Although I cannot remember the last time I've ever had stagefright in any capacity (I literally get antsy, agressive and just want to wreck shit), I have a tip for you if you want to be all over the place on stage:

When others calm their nerves with beer or whatnot, you say hello to your best friend:

MISTER COFFEE!!!

Srs, caffeine before shows is the shit.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
^ That just sounds like a recipe for an anxiety attack. Coffee makes me have that nice tingly feeling I get when I think about that girl I like but in a situation in which I need to focus on playing, that may not end so well.

Don't recall the last time having dreamy eyes, staring off into nothingness with a feint smile was accepted in a metal show.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I guess we all react differently then. I just remember some of the best shows I've played were the ones where I'd chugged energy drinks like it wudn't no thang and was running around like a squirrel on crank :lol:

Idaho

Reaction score
Did a show once and our drummer had taken a load of speed. 45 minute set done in about half that...

')