The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
+5? On my G-Force, the highest it can go is 0dB. Do you just mean the output knob on the unit itself? I have that maxed out, and the input set fairly low (if i put it above 9'oclock the signal overloads)

More like the funniest thing ever :lol: Corpsegrinder is the absolute king of that.

"This next song goes out to you ladies out there.... [growl] FUCKED!!! WITH A KNIFE!!!!!!..."

Best song intro ever:
"This next song is about shooting blood out of your cock!"

Abhorred

Reaction score
:poop: never,and i mean never,shit on stage,i know it sounds cool and all,but the end results are bad,it's smelly,and slippery,yeah,i know who would have thought someone would slip in shit and brake his arm,not me...

Did a show with GG, then?

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If I can't hear myself on stage, then I'm going to have a not so great gig for sure. I always have my best performances when I can hear myself clearly anywhere on stage (which is when I have my poweramp on 12:00, and the G-Force output at +10db... Most sound guys make me turn it down to about +5 or 0).

If you scoop out all your mids in a live environment, that probably has a lot to do with it.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
If you scoop out all your mids in a live environment, that probably has a lot to do with it.

The only freq I scoop is 355Hz. But yeah, I realize that. I'm working on adjusting my tone to fix this actually.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't beat your face in with someone elses mic, effectivly breaking the top part off of it, bleed all over it, then complain that the mic is cutting out. "It must be the cable!"

:noplease:

Likewise, never eat garbage people throw on the stage during a show, it may contain GHB.

Why would anyone do that?! Please don't do that.

:lol:

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, we gotta play loud because our drummer is a hard hitter. He's got 2 volumes. On and off :lol: As for singing, well its amazing how not using a house SM58 can make for better vocals (Try an AKG D790... I've already converted 2 other local bands to them).

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
Don'ts
I cant believe nobody has mentioned cover songs.

Enough with the fucking cover songs.

If I wanted to hear Slayer, I would go home and listen to it.

Ive heard ONE good cover ever, and this was a local thrash band covering Tornado of Souls. All of these guys were at least six years older than everyone else at the bar...

Do's
-Mids up. Also, get a fucking boost for solos. 10db at least.

-Gain down. (at least for rythm). Seriously, if you cant play with the gain at 12 o'clock then you havent rehearsed enough. Otherwise all the audience hears is fzzzzzzzz fzzzz fzzzz fzzzz fzz fzzzzzzzzz

-Tune the gear before you get to the show, so you dont have as much to tune when you get there...

-Dont play a gig if you have shitty equipment.

-Bring your own mic's

-Bring gloves. These places are fuckin cold brick dungeons. I bring my furry ones and sit on the hands till we're up

Shit like this is why the only shows I go to nowadays are the ones I play (or pro bands)

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
Don'ts
I cant believe nobody has mentioned cover songs.

Enough with the fucking cover songs.

If I wanted to hear Slayer, I would go home and listen to it.

Ive heard ONE good cover ever, and this was a local thrash band covering Tornado of Souls. All of these guys were at least six years older than everyone else at the bar...

I'm sorry to say you've got shitty bands then. Because my band covers songs great (Check out our MySpace videos if you don't believe me). And we've found that opening with a cover is a GREAT way to get the crowd to come up to the stage when you're playing. Every time we open with a Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. people come running up to the stage. Then they stay there for the rest of the set. And we like to finish with a good cover too, which gets them even more interested into you. Last show we did, we opened with "...And Justice For All" and ended with "Raining Blood".

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I like a good cover thrown in occasionally, I just don't like straight up covers, I prefer it when a band changes it up and makes it their own. A friends band that is now split up used to do "Were only gonna die for our arrogance", they did an awesome cover of this and it was funny when they introduced it, "this one is a cover of a cover of a cover of a cover".

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I like a good cover thrown in occasionally, I just don't like straight up covers, I prefer it when a band changes it up and makes it their own. A friends band that is now split up used to do "Were only gonna die for our arrogance", they did an awesome cover of this and it was funny when they introduced it, "this one is a cover of a cover of a cover of a cover".

Same here. I actually like when a band does one or two covers of songs I know and like. If it's nothing but covers, then it's kind of boring.

I used to joke about "This is our cover of the Dave Matthews cover of the Jimi Hendrix cover of the Bob Dylan song, 'All Along The Watchtower.'" and other similarly ridiculous ideas. :lol:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said in this beast of a thread.

Never, NEVER tune your guitar on stage without a muting tuner.

Our other guitarist does this and it bugs the shit out of me....I gave him a nice planet waves tuner pedal! :rant:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been said in this beast of a thread.

Never, NEVER tune your guitar on stage without a muting tuner.

Our other guitarist does this and it bugs the shit out of me....I gave him a nice planet waves tuner pedal! :rant:

I can't stand people who do this. The other guitarist in my band has the exact same tuner as me and our old bass player also used the same tuner. Even with our current lineup, we all tune silently to our tuners, hook up with our guitar volume knobs at 0, then turn them up only before our first song.

People who tune on stage out loud have no idea how noisy and annoying it is. :noplease:

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
I can't stand people who do this. The other guitarist in my band has the exact same tuner as me and our old bass player also used the same tuner. Even with our current lineup, we all tune silently to our tuners, hook up with our guitar volume knobs at 0, then turn them up only before our first song.

People who tune on stage out loud have no idea how noisy and annoying it is. :noplease:

Consider yourself lucky :lol:

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
I'm sorry to say you've got shitty bands then. Because my band covers songs great (Check out our MySpace videos if you don't believe me). And we've found that opening with a cover is a GREAT way to get the crowd to come up to the stage when you're playing. Every time we open with a Pantera, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. people come running up to the stage. Then they stay there for the rest of the set. And we like to finish with a good cover too, which gets them even more interested into you. Last show we did, we opened with "...And Justice For All" and ended with "Raining Blood".

Seconded, you guys do a good "Holy Wars"

Mine: Intro tapes-if its more than 2 minutes, you're Iron Maiden

')