The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Again, if I like the band enough I'll seek that information out.

That said, get a banner with your band name, and make sure to put it up somewhere at the venue, I heard too many great band who've gone uninvestigated by me because I couldn't remember their name. Vinyl banners are cheap so there is no excuse.

T_money419

Badass mofo
Reaction score
dont come on shirtless. If you really feel the need to show muscles do it at least halfway through.
unless female

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't be a mouthy asshole on stage...refrain from stupid comments such as "we're fuckin' awesome"....etc...

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky :lol:

If I didn't have a guitarist or bass player like that, I would consistently tell them every day that they were so fucking annoying until they realized how annoying it was themselves and changed, starting out with nice comments like "Wow. That's loud and... kinda annoying, y'know?" and, if they didn't listen, I'd get more annoying each day, "Damn, that's fucking annoying! Sounds like fingers on a chalkboard to me. If I had a son and he did that, I'd beat the shit out him, man." :lol:

Most Americans would probably reply with the "You're wrong! I'm right! I won't change because you think it's annoying!" thing, while most of the Japanese I've played with would probably answer, "Hm... I never thought about it that way. I guess that could be annoying." and I'd offer to help them find a good tuner.

Fortunately, I've played in 3 bands over the last two years, the current one for over a year, and I've never played with any guitarists or bass players who didn't tune silently to a tuner (although I have seen bands like that at gigs we've played).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Full stacks are NOT neccessary.

Don't go through all the extra hassle to play an average sized venue.

Screw you, I'm going to bring a fucking wall of 4x12s to our next club show just to spite you. YOU DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA!!

randy.jpg

Rick Pierpont

Reaction score
I've been there. I'm practically the stage manager at Jaxx when we play there because I *will not* let this happen to us. Somebody's got to teach the kids how it works...

You aren't kidding Mike! That's me too! It happened a couple of times and I had enough. If only we could run FOH and monitors (especially monitors) too! ;)

Simply put, the "don't" list is the opposite of the "do" list.

DO'S
-cooperate with other merch tables
-communicate with the other bands to organize the fastest transitions possible
-mingle prior to your set and be fun and positive to talk to.
-know your songs.
-organize your set to flow well and end with a pleaser.
-EQ everybody's tone for the clearest mix for live band sound. Being heard should never be a tone issue.... it should only be a volume issue.
-don't act like you're owed something, on-stage, off-stage, etc. to ANYBODY (don't be a bitch).
-get onstage quickly.
-don't yap between the songs (for a metal gig).
-get the fuck off the stage.
-get drunk and be fun to talk to.
:agreed:

A few more:
- make sure your drummer controls himself so that it is easier to control the stage volume
- make sure your drummer doesn't get lost on the way to the show
- make sure your drummer isn't hitting on all the women in the place (that can be difficult at a prog show) :lol:
- make sure your drummer doesn't bring his quad kick set with 15 toms, and 132 cymbals for every show. Especially when only getting a 30 minute set. ;)

Hi James! :metal:

dont come on shirtless. If you really feel the need to show muscles do it at least halfway through.
unless female
+1,000,000 I hate that! Its fucking pretentious and let me beat Stitchy to it... gay!

There is only one time where I think it would've been somewhat acceptable and that was with my old band opening for Symphony X at Jaxx this past August. It was one of the hottest days of the summer (104 F when I arrived at 5P) AND the AC was broken. I have never sweat so much in my life. That was a brutal show! When loading out our equipment off the stage @ 8:30, it felt AMAZING outside - it was still 95 F). I suspect that it was in excess of 120 inside the concert hall. Mike, Dave, James, do you agree?

Still, no one took their shirts off this time though. :lol:

Reaction score
If I had a son and he did that, I'd beat the shit out him, man." :lol:

This is fucking classic! Holy shit! :lol:

Most Americans would probably reply with the "You're wrong! I'm right! I won't change because you think it's annoying!" thing, while most of the Japanese I've played with would probably answer, "Hm... I never thought about it that way. I guess that could be annoying." and I'd offer to help them find a good tuner.

Situations like this is what makes me glad I like to be around other cultures. There's so much one can learn from others who are different from oneself.

Oogadee Boogadee

ss.orggy biscuit
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You aren't kidding Mike! That's me too! It happened a couple of times and I had enough. If only we could run FOH and monitors (especially monitors) too! ;)

:agreed:

A few more:
- make sure your drummer controls himself so that it is easier to control the stage volume
- make sure your drummer doesn't get lost on the way to the show
- make sure your drummer isn't hitting on all the women in the place (that can be difficult at a prog show) :lol:
- make sure your drummer doesn't bring his quad kick set with 15 toms, and 132 cymbals for every show. Especially when only getting a 30 minute set. ;)

Hi James! :metal:

+1,000,000 I hate that! Its fucking pretentious and let me beat Stitchy to it... gay!

There is only one time where I think it would've been somewhat acceptable and that was with my old band opening for Symphony X at Jaxx this past August. It was one of the hottest days of the summer (104 F when I arrived at 5P) AND the AC was broken. I have never sweat so much in my life. That was a brutal show! When loading out our equipment off the stage @ 8:30, it felt AMAZING outside - it was still 95 F). I suspect that it was in excess of 120 inside the concert hall. Mike, Dave, James, do you agree?

Still, no one took their shirts off this time though. :lol:

Rick brutha!!! welcome!

another exception to the rule - drummers, we can disrobe on stage. We're the ones working hard. we deserve to swing freely.

yeah - that symphony x was a burning hell. if it was that hot off stage, i can't imagine how hot it must have been under those damn lights.

Rick Pierpont

Reaction score
Oogadee Boogadee said:
Rick brutha!!! welcome!

another exception to the rule - drummers, we can disrobe on stage. We're the ones working hard. we deserve to swing freely.

yeah - that symphony x was a burning hell. if it was that hot off stage, i can't imagine how hot it must have been under those damn lights.
Thanks dude! Can you believe it? I broke down and bought a 7?!?!?!?

:lol: True, I will give you that. I'm not against the disrobing of anyone. I just think its really stupid when someone comes out on stage like that and its not even hot! Work up a sweat, then take it off - you're OK. Playing at a pool party, OK. Opening up for Kamelot and starting your set shirtless -- :wallbash:

Hell yeah dude, it was fucking BRUTAL!!! I was sweating so much I think I lost 10 pounds! :lol: Seriously though, I was sweating so much that my shorts kept sticking to me and I couldn't move easily at all. Even the "Pierpont Lunge" TM was nearly impossible to pull off. ;) As hard as work up on stage I can't imagine of you had to play that night too!

Ouch, ripped by the new guy. :lol:

Did I displease you? Is the RG7620 sucking? :lol:

:wub:
Huh? That wasn't a rip on *you* dude! :lol: You just have the habit of calling everything gay, so I was simply using your terminology.

Hell no man, you rock! I've been playing the hell out of that thing! Thanks again!

I can't wait for my new pickups to come in either. Gotta wait a few extra days though since the Air Norton 7 is on backorder (in black). As good as this thing sounds now, I can't wait to hear it with these awesome pups!

???:scratch: What...huh...

:lol: Major sarcasm. Obviously the number of women at a prog show is usually quite low. Although, it has definitely been getting better! I did have an old drummer that used to hit on a bunch of fans wives. They LOVED him for that.

seriously? Why?
I don't know! I think it was so hot and the set went by so quickly that we weren't even thinking clearly enough. Although it seriously wouldn't have helped much as hot as it was in there and at least the shirt was helping to soak it up instead of dripping even more. Yes, it was that f**king hot in there!

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't quit! Playing a good live show takes a LOT of practice. This one may have been bad, the next will be better.

')