The dont's of live performance

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Geest

Reaction score
Being pushy, sure you may encourage the audience to dance/headbang/mosh and so on. But don't overdo it, asking them once is more than enough.

Carefully judge what kind of people you are playing in front, on some stages you can get a wall of death organized, and at others you won't see anybody move 10 inches except to buy beer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Beat Poet

Reaction score
Don't play new songs because they are new. The latest song you've written won't always be the best yet. Nurture the songs and do a demo of them first. There's nothing worse than having to stand through a band who are doing an open rehearsal.

Reaction score
Smiling like a madman the whole time. :lol:

For reference, see the bald guy in Dimmu.

Good point, I do that and people always comment on just that! But Galder has the craziest smile, but a good reference!

And for gods sake! CHECK YOUR TUNING BEFORE GOING ONSTAGE!! The worst thing you can do is start the show with an out of tune guitar...

Reaction score
Don't spend more time boasting about your religous beliefs than actually performing.

Wolf ov Fire

Hellspawn
Reaction score
Fucking with your volume pedal when you should be moving around, my friend does this alot
Bring a fucking sheet music stand with lyrics sheets to a concert, even if it IS at a coffee shop! MEMORIZE!
Dance. Yes I have seen people actually dance.
-An extension of this: Pelvic thrust into your instrument. Its funny at practice but NOT when you hit your sac against the cutaway and have that face for the next 5 minutes
Jump off the cabinet and hit your guitar on the floor
Stop in the middle of a riff to get a drink of water. Even if you ARE singing!

Ricky Roro

Christian
Reaction score
Don't:
Be a total idiot, etc. (use common sense, be courteous, etc.)
Expect everyone to like you.
Get discouraged.

Do:
Be a decent human being.
Know who you are and what you are/are not comfortable with.
Be confident, but not arrogant.
Know your limits.

Essentially, whatever you end up doing, don't be fake. If you don't like running around the stage, don't. If you feel the need to tell people to clap, do it. Just be confident (but not cocky or arrogant) and don't be annoying.

Lots of bands out there do stuff you guys hate when playing live, but they are still successful. Maybe their style isn't for you, but just because some band acts differently doesn't mean that they automatically suck. Heck, didn't Rock & roll start with people who refused to color within the lines? Paint your own picture.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
That they leave right after they're done.

Also, heaps of bands hang "out the back" until its their turn to go on. There may be 5 people in the crowd and 35 out the back in little groups.

to be honest performing is serious business, i like to have my 30-45 minutes of me-time before stagetime to have 15minutes of warmup ,5 minutes to strecth my ligaments and get my heart pumping, then 10 minutes to setup the stage, then 5 minutes to freakout and then to hit the stage perpared. I am not joking, i do this before every gig to be able to bring my best.

And afterwards i am usually just wrecked beyond recognition this is why after the excruciating super fast post gig gearhaul i want to chill the fuck out. i maybe watch 1-2 songs of every band coming afterwards but you cant expect more of me.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't walk on stage when the bands playing before you are on.

One band actually did this. There was a storage room in the corner of the venue and you had to walk up on side of the stage to get to it. Most bands either staid in the room till the band on stage finished or actually watched. But this one band decided they were the dogs bollocks and would walk back and forth through our set, never bothered to watch us and then demanded that we watch them during their set. :noplease:

robare99

Reaction score
Quick notes, as a soundguy...

Don't scoop all the mids out of your tone. You end up with this weird low-hi combination that just gets lost in the mix, and ends up being white noise. Same with too many effects. What sounds good at home alone, often doesn't work in a band situation.

Myself, I love using chorus and a fairly processed sound at home. But with my band, chorus just makes my tone disappear in the mix, so I run without it during a gig.

Don't stick your foot on the monitor, and I won't stick my foot on your guitar.

Try to not cup the mic and please PLEASE don't clap the end of the mic, clap your hand holding the mic. Nothing better than the rythmic BOOM BOOM BOOM as it happens.

Don't try to sandbag the sound guy, muttering "check check" into the mic during sound check and then screaming your guts out during the gig does no one any good.

Same with the drummer, don't tap the drums during sound check, and then beat the hell out of them during the gig.

If you beat the hell out of the drums, or scream your guts out during the gig, give me that. We are both on the same team, and I want you to sound as awesome as you do. Give me the levels you play and and let me work with them.

Have a reasonable sound level for stage, I know you DO need some level, and I do use stage bleed to fill the area right in front of the stage, but let's not be too crazy about it, this ain't Madison Square Gardens, and I can always put more guitar in your monitor.

Plus

If it IS a particularly small room, as a drummer try to use a bit of control, the whole mix usually has to be built around the snare and cymbals. If you are doing your best to put a hole in your snare, or break a cymbal with every hit, it just starts the volume war, then the guitars have to be louder, then the singer can't hear himself, and all of a sudden instead of a full mix coming out of the PA, all that's coming through is some kick and vocals.

We aren't there to kill the audience, and rip the skin from their faces, we are there to kick their ass and take some names.

95% of the time I'm able to work with the bands, everything sounds awesome, the bands are really happy with the mix, it sounds great out front and everyone has an awesome time.

The other 5% of the time I do what I can, combat damage control audio, and the band is simply put on the "Do not bring back" list.

thelarrinator

To Kill Achilles
Reaction score
Don't prioritise your 'image' or 'stage-persona' over playing.
If you're really into the music and like to move about a lot - cool! That's awesome!
But if you're doing it for no apparent reason and it's effecting the playing drastically, just don't do it.

Murmel

Reaction score
I played at Wembley last week and it wasn't that loud on stage :cool:

I hate it when bands wait too long inbetween songs. It should be TIGHT!

Are you fucking kidding me? Is this the Wembley that I think it is? :eek:

Murmel

Reaction score
Pretty awesome regardless.

I thought you meant Wembley Stadium. I was overflowing with jelly :lol:

robare99

Reaction score
I beg to differ :cool:

Well I do have 5000W for FOH... It's a pretty good fit for the room. Guitar cabinets are pretty directional, so while your killing the guy standing in front of your amp, the person 10' to the side is definitely not hearing the same thing.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
Do do this:
gE9sY.jpg

')