The Downbeat Deathcore (A.K.A "Sludgewave") Thread

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Some of you might ask "Wtf is sludgewave?", well sludgewave is basically, in a nutshell, very, very ignorant music. 40 bpm whole song breakdowns in drop Eb to mosh and murder people to. Fvck yes. Basically, like every band on the We Are Triumphant label.

From Stuff You Will Hate:
chart.png

Some of you might already know Black Tongue via two of it's members being in the almighty Infant Annihilator:

But do you know any other bands that sound exactly like this? No? Let's chase the mosh dragon together, then :3

Immoralist:

Not really a band, but you might know the dude from "World's Hardest Guitar Cover" video, describes what sludgewave is about really well:

Overthrower (dat end of song breakdown at 3:35 man):

Genocide District:

And, my personal favorite of them all - Traitors (simpler than Word of Intulo):

So, do you possibly know a band more ignorant than Traitors? Or just like to flail your arms to breakdowns? Let's share sludgewave bands here, in order to explore this fascinating microgenre further.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vigaren

Reaction score
I'm not usually into these kind of super heavy bands but Black Tongue is AMAZING

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
And here's one of Feign's own songs. I guess that's smarter than posting a cover.

Reaction score
If you would have told me that this is what I would be listening to while I was still in my instrumental shred phase back in junior high I would have said no fvcking way but god damn do I love this shit. These days nothing satisfies me more than some ultra low guitars, titanic bass tones and super pissed off vocals! I'd post some links but I'm on my phone atm but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread for some bands I might not know about yet.

celticelk

Reaction score
Hrm. The name is sort of obnoxious - this really doesn't have anything to do with more "traditional" sludge metal except for possibly the tempos involved. Basically it just sounds like slowed-down shitty metalcore to me. (Which in my mind is equivalent to "slowed-down metalcore," just to get my biases out in the open.)

Also, "double-dropped D" generally means DADGBD tuning, rather than "dropped-D an octave below 'standard' dropped-D." (For those keeping score at home, DADGBD is the Isis tuning, though they tuned it down to BF#BEG#B.)

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Sludgewave sounds like what would happen if Crowbar did an album of Devo covers.

Despite the misleading name, this stuff is pretty sick. I've been after more music in octave 0 tunings, and this is just what I was looking for:hbang: Black Tongue is basically pure hatred condensed as sound.

Reaction score
I just died laughing. :lol:
I mean, if things get slower and lower than bands like Black Tongue and Traitors...well...might as well record a hot shit into a mic. Those guitars don't sound too clear and intonated live.

On another note: I'm seeing half of the bands that the OP-er listed in August and September.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
That black tongue track was the heaviest thing I have heard in some time. End of the world sounds, kinda like a darker nastier Emmure or Bury Your Dead with Glen Benton singing after putting a knife in his own throat.

Put that "who farted" look on my face

Very heavy, sad, angry and dark. I kinda dug it even though I usually listen to smarter music.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
This is silly. Stop the train, I want to get off.

"All brawn, no brains" would be a more than apt description of this shit.

Reaction score
This is silly. Stop the train, I want to get off.

"All brawn, no brains" would be a more than apt description of this shit.

That kind of is the mentality here, mate. ^
Heaviest, most down-tuned shit just can't make up for the lack of decent songwriting or lack of creativity.

broj15

Reaction score
this is something i could get behind.

edit: and is it safe to say the Acacia Strain and Ion Dissonance are pioneers of the genre?

Reaction score
How to play down-tempo/"sludgewave" (even though "down-tempo" is the official title I guess?)

1.) Down-tune your guitar as low as it will go. (Intonation and clarity do not matter.)

2.) F**k the bassist. (Your guitars are tuned so low at you don't need him.)

3.) The drummer must NEVER bring the tempo above 70 BPM. (Shit, even going above 45 BPM is definitely pushing it.)

4.) There must be a minimum of three breakdowns per song. (However, if your songs are nothing but a series of continuous breakdowns, you're doing it right.)

5.) The vocalist must only use hardcore shouts, and if he does venture to use a death growl or guttural, it must be as low as your guitars, or else f**k him too.

6.) Every band member must have a constant "Who the f**k farted?" expression on their face at all times.

7.) Wait for the trend to die just like how your vocalist shouts about wanting people to die.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
It may not be sophisticated music, but I think its good to occasionally just let your brain evaporate. I've had philosophy professors who still watch football.

Sometimes you just have to beat someone to a pulp with an eight string tuned to B0.

')