The Downbeat Deathcore (A.K.A "Sludgewave") Thread

Reaction score
Black Tongue almost have my interest. Almost. They have some neat sounding stuff that just becomes monotonous as the song continuous. The vox get super nasty, in a good way, sometimes though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
this is something i could get behind.

edit: and is it safe to say the Acacia Strain and Ion Dissonance are pioneers of the genre?

I love the acacia strain but this one :lol:

GiveUpGuitar

Give Up the Goods!
Reaction score
I hear this, and I picture feet stomping, keys jangling, and a lot of people getting kicked out by security.

My favorite comment on the Black Tongue EP - "What are they tuned to?" "Harley Davidson."

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure my band just played with Traitors, and I'm pretty sure I'm the dickhead who left before they went on. Bummed.

The Hiryuu

Dot dot dot.
Reaction score
Hrm. The name is sort of obnoxious - this really doesn't have anything to do with more "traditional" sludge metal except for possibly the tempos involved. Basically it just sounds like slowed-down shitty metalcore to me. (Which in my mind is equivalent to "slowed-down metalcore," just to get my biases out in the open.)

Also, "double-dropped D" generally means DADGBD tuning, rather than "dropped-D an octave below 'standard' dropped-D." (For those keeping score at home, DADGBD is the Isis tuning, though they tuned it down to BF#BEG#B.)

This. And yes, sludgewave is a deceptive name.

akinari

Reaction score

I consider these guys more of a straight up sludge band than most of the stuff posted here, but this is definitely appropriate. Killer stuff. These guys were buddies with the dudes in Admiral Angry, who were mentioned earlier. I didn't like "No Matter Where It Ends" as much as their other releases, but from what I understand, that's exactly what they were going for :erk:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I love love love tuning down to 5 string bass register, but why the hell are the lyrics so terrible in all of these bands? it's like reading the diary of a kid going through puberty. so embarrassingly bad.

bce5150

Reaction score
I hate all of this. It's not even that I can't stomach the brutality - I love that aspect of it. It's just gimmicky and devoid of interesting composition. I guarantee this sound will be assimilated and made interesting by a band in the not-so-distant future... but as for everything I've heard in this thread? Yuck. I hated Feign when I first heard them.... but that Traitors crap definitely takes the cake. Awful.

Gothic Headhunter

Born on a Monday
Reaction score
That Black Tongue song I thought was interesting- listening to the EP now- but I can't really say I liked the rest of it though. I know it's a weird comparison to make, but to me it kind of feels like Sunn O))) except with more going on. I'm really liking this EP so far, except for the lyrics.

Also, "Sludgewave" seems like a really stupid name to me, and it doesn't describe the music at all. Normally when I hear "wave" I think techno, and when I hear "sludge" I think Saint Vitus, and these bands have nothing to do with either.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
People coming into this thread looking for substance and technical proficiency.

NOPE!

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
FWIW I like stuff like this, Admiral Angry, Samo and Black Sheep Wall, I just don't like it when dorky toughguycore kids try to reinvent the wheel

Reaction score
On the subject of the name sludgewave, iv never heard anyone outside of tumblr call it that and even then the only person I see calling it that is Jared (the guy who did the worlds hardest guitar cover) and a few of his friends since they're the ones who came up with the name. Most people I know just call it downtempo.

celticelk

Reaction score
On the subject of the name sludgewave, iv never heard anyone outside of tumblr call it that and even then the only person I see calling it that is Jared (the guy who did the worlds hardest guitar cover) and a few of his friends since they're the ones who came up with the name. Most people I know just call it downtempo.

Which isn't any better, as there's already an electronic music genre by that name....

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Who…….cares……? Is it really bothering people that it's called something other than what you think it should be called? Is the world in turmoil because it sounds like it could possibly associate itself with another genre?

Christ. :rolleyes:

')