The Downbeat Deathcore (A.K.A "Sludgewave") Thread

JoeuJGM

Reaction score
So that would make Danza... progressive sludgewave? :scratch: I keed I keed.
I love all things brutal and low tuned, heck I even took my s**tty Ibanez Gio and stuck a 100 gauge bass string on it to see how low I could tune it... my tuner gave up at a low bass A and the pitch just got lower, so I'm not sure what it was :lol: It was br00tz thugh...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
All of the butthurt contained in one thread. Here's more to make you mad.

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Mr. Abandonist, I am a great fan of your work, your person and your posts on here. Does the "no" mean that you don't like the music, or just the name? I figure that you'd like this kinda stuff, as you yourself tune extremely low, play slow and minimalistic.

Yes.

muffinbutton

knows the muffin man
Reaction score
ITT: People bitching about simple music being simple. Shouldn't you guys be in a prog thread for technical stuff?

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I think it's a bit harsh to say that it's ignorant music, seems like an attempt to start a sarcastic hate thread towards music that you don't actually like, but okay...

I don't like Traitors at all, but I really dig Black Tongue. And there's a similar band from my local scene who are all good friends of mine, and I have to say as much as I (and they) make fun of the genre, they got super popular very fast because if you go to see them live it's impossible not to throw down and have an awesome time. And I think they're really good at what they do. At the end of the day, a lot of people love it. On top of that, those people love making it. If you love what you're doing I think it's insulting for someone to come along and just say that what you enjoy is "ignorant". People said that about deathcore too, and metalcore, and black metal. I make fun of certain bands and genres too, we all do, but this seems a bit much to me... just my opinion.

P.S. I've only heard of it called beatdown and downtempo, not downbeat or sludgewave, so that's news to me.

Reaction score
I think it's a bit harsh to say that it's ignorant music, seems like an attempt to start a sarcastic hate thread towards music that you don't actually like, but okay...

I don't like Black Tongue at all, but I really dig Traitors. And there's a similar band from my local scene who are all good friends of mine, and I have to say as much as I (and they) make fun of the genre, they got super popular very fast because if you go to see them live it's impossible not to throw down and have an awesome time. And I think they're really good at what they do. At the end of the day, a lot of people love it. On top of that, those people love making it. If you love what you're doing I think it's insulting for someone to come along and just say that what you enjoy is "ignorant". People said that about deathcore too, and metalcore, and black metal. I make fun of certain bands and genres too, we all do, but this seems a bit much to me... just my opinion.

P.S. I've only heard of it called beatdown and downtempo, not downbeat or sludgewave, so that's news to me.

Fixed. ^^^ :lol: (That's just my opinion.)

But in all seriousness, we share the same thoughts here, mate. It's just that this is a forum where people thrive behind the façade of "perceived technicality" where they try to act smart and try to 1-up each other and say: "Hey man, my dick is bigger than yours because I play more tech stuff" or "Hey man, my dick is bigger than yours because I listen to and understand Necrophagist".
(^ Just overgeneralized examples, but you get my point.)

I play absolutely nothing but technical metal and I always try to challenge myself to learn and grow to hopefully be a "technical wizard" one day like some of the players that I look up to. On the flip side, some guys from other bands and I just formed a new project in a style similar to this down-tempo beat-down deathcore stuff. But they specifically wanted me as their guitarist to teach them and add some technicality into the sound. And I must say, playing the hardest shit that I can muster is cool and all, but I've never had more fun than just turning my brain off for a few moments and just chugging away on a nice, mosh-inducing groove. So yes, we "tune low and play slow" and we go "straight to the breakdown", but then we will throw in some crazy sequenced arpeggios/tapping/sweep-taps/etc. and it creates a fun 50/50 balance that we hope will appeal to more people since it has a little something for the "OMG I must dissect this" tech-metallers, and a little something for the "turn your brain off and mosh or dance" corekids.

spawnofthesith

Reaction score
I think the whole "ignorant" thing is all in Good fun and humor, and more being said by the people who like the style in this thread than those who don't

Maverick187

Reaction score
All these bands = Your ....ing moshing!

And Im really glad all the mouth breathing IMNs read through the whole thread to tell everyone how much they dont like this stuff, your unsolicited opinion was much needed!

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
All these bands = Your ....ing moshing!

And Im really glad all the mouth breathing IMNs read through the whole thread to tell everyone how much they dont like this stuff, your unsolicited opinion was much needed!

I wouldn't have said anything and just ignored it like all the other dumb shit I don't like on this board but I saw the name "sludgewave" and became irritated that this stuff is neither "wave" or even remotely like Sludge Metal (as I know it.)

I don't know man I hear a band like Admiral Angry and I hear a legitimate hatred and anguish because the music was written by a guy dying of Cystic Fibrosis. I'd rather direct your attention to that instead of whatever the hell these beatdown kids are doing because it's worlds more brutal than anything they'd ever be able to come up with.

If that makes me a pretentious neckbeard so be it.

Maverick187

Reaction score
I wouldn't have said anything and just ignored it like all the other dumb shit I don't like on this board but I saw the name "sludgewave" and became irritated that this stuff is neither "wave" or even remotely like Sludge Metal (as I know it.)

I don't know man I hear a band like Admiral Angry and I hear a legitimate hatred and anguish because the music was written by a guy dying of Cystic Fibrosis. I'd rather direct your attention to that instead of whatever the hell these beatdown kids are doing because it's worlds more brutal than anything they'd ever be able to come up with.

If that makes me a pretentious neckbeard so be it.

It certainly does

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Let me enlighten you: Skip to 1:03

Based means being yourself. Not being scared of what people think about you. Not being afraid to do what you wanna do. Being positive. When I was younger, based was a negative term that meant like dopehead, or basehead. People used to make fun of me. They was like, ‘You’re based.’ They’d use it as a negative. And what I did was turn that negative into a positive. I started embracing it like, ‘Yeah, I’m based.’ I made it mine. I embedded it in my head. Based is positive.”

broj15 said:
if you have to ask you'll never know B
There is hope for him yet.

Fry5150

#based
Reaction score

Also check out my band, We're not completely beatdown but the influence is there, Especially in this song lol

')