The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a nut replaced on your JP guitar? of maybe even replaced it themselves?
I don't need the nut on mine replaced as of now, but I was wondering how this would be done. I remember reading about it I believe on a thread on here but I can't seem to find it.
Since the nut is covered with the headstock clear-coat on the sides, I imagine a nut replacement being somewhat complicated.
Out of curiosity: how is this done? will the clear coat need to be removed for a nut replacement and then new clear coat re-applied afterwards?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I think they are cool guitars, but I can never make a signature my own. I always feel like I'm playing someone else's guitar. I wish EBMM would make non-sig 7 strings.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
The neck of my JP7 is a unfinished neck (no lacquer) and I really like the feel of the back of the neck. However, since I play this guitar a lot, the neck is starting to feel a bit more like a finished neck, I guess my hand/thumb is 'polishing' the neck. The neck is not dirty, so it doesn't need to be cleaned, it's only a 'feel' thing.
Now, here's my question: what's the best way to regain that unfinished feel of the neck?

I have watched a YT video by MusicMan on how to clean an EBMM unfinished neck, however, in my case the neck is not dry nor dirty, so I'm not sure of the oil-soap and gun-stock oil/wax would be the right thing here?

How do you guys maintain the unfinished feel on your JPs?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The neck of my JP7 is a unfinished neck (no lacquer) and I really like the feel of the back of the neck. However, since I play this guitar a lot, the neck is starting to feel a bit more like a finished neck, I guess my hand/thumb is 'polishing' the neck. The neck is not dirty, so it doesn't need to be cleaned, it's only a 'feel' thing.
Now, here's my question: what's the best way to regain that unfinished feel of the neck?

I have watched a YT video by MusicMan on how to clean an EBMM unfinished neck, however, in my case the neck is not dry nor dirty, so I'm not sure of the oil-soap and gun-stock oil/wax would be the right thing here?

Unless you sanded down the neck, it actually does have a think oil and wax finish.

You're going to want to clean the neck with a damp rag, let it dry, and then go about oiling and waxing again.

That's what I've done on the several JP7s I've owned.

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score

Clean it with a damp rag then burnish it using a microfiber rag.

Xibuque

Reaction score
JP7 PDN Starry Night

49246582_10210530333014489_3523024358509379584_n.jpg

49250871_10210530332374473_4985555856322985984_n.jpg

49815356_10210530939549652_4621447413939306496_o.jpg

Xibuque

Reaction score
Any JP7 owners had changed the stock pickups for another dimarzio? Have any of you tried a Titan on it?

I love all the jp models, the playability, the neck shape, woods, but i am not a big fan of crunchlab, in certain way i think that the stock pickup sets work just for petrucci/dream theaterish stuff.

penguin_316

Reaction score
My JP7 wasn’t the best looking guitar(always thought they were fairly fugly). The neck always cramped my hand especially while playing standing, and the pickups were so sterile in general.
Looking back though, it played absolutely amazing. The sterile/controlled/super clean sound is just an EBMM thing...different flavors for different things. I really miss mine. They are the ultimate recording 7 strings imo...for standard scales anyways. I’ll always have EBMM love.

GXPO

Reaction score
My JP7 wasn’t the best looking guitar(always thought they were fairly fugly). The neck always cramped my hand especially while playing standing, and the pickups were so sterile in general.
Looking back though, it played absolutely amazing. The sterile/controlled/super clean sound is just an EBMM thing...different flavors for different things. I really miss mine. They are the ultimate recording 7 strings imo...for standard scales anyways. I’ll always have EBMM love.
This has been an emotional rollercoaster.

penguin_316

Reaction score
Yea, it was hard to put my finger on, I would blame it on the pickups but I tried a few others and it never really helped that much.

Later on, I did buy a 6 string majesty that sounded really good. So, maybe just got an odd ball.

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Any JP7 owners had changed the stock pickups for another dimarzio? Have any of you tried a Titan on it?

I love all the jp models, the playability, the neck shape, woods, but i am not a big fan of crunchlab, in certain way i think that the stock pickup sets work just for petrucci/dream theaterish stuff.

When I acquired my JP12-7, it had Bare Knuckle Blackhawks installed........and they sucked.
The BKP's are cool pickups, but they were just a horrible choice for the JP12.

I took it back to stock and it immediately sounded infinitely better.

Xibuque

Reaction score
When I acquired my JP12-7, it had Bare Knuckle Blackhawks installed........and they sucked.
The BKP's are cool pickups, but they were just a horrible choice for the JP12.

I took it back to stock and it immediately sounded infinitely better.

Got ya! What you think about Titans on a jp7 with ebony board?

Latest posts