The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of the finished necks on the JP's. I love the feel of the bare oiled wood on a maple neck. Can any comment as to if roasted maple feels exactly like a unfinished maple neck?

Unfortunately I cannot, but the roasted maple neck was probably the smoothest neck I've ever played. IIRC, I think due to the neck being roasted, the neck is already unfinished. Don't quote me on that though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
It doesn't feel *exactly* the same as a truly unfinished neck since they use gunstock oil and wax, but I honestly prefer it anyway. Feels much smoother.

EBMM gloss finishes are very glassy and I never felt them to be particularly tacky like, say, a Gibson.

Arkeion

Reaction score
Nut sauce came in today. I can finally play my JP again. Thanks for the rec, Santuzzo!

Arkeion

Reaction score
Well, it didn't solve the problem. The high e string still likes to rest a little high on the saddle. It holds tune if I don't try to recenter it, but as soon as I stretch it back to it's intended resting space, everything goes flat. From what I can tell, there's no 'groove' or nick in the saddle that could cause the string to snag.

Any more ideas? Guess I might contact customer support. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Well, it didn't solve the problem. The high e string still likes to rest a little high on the saddle. It holds tune if I don't try to recenter it, but as soon as I stretch it back to it's intended resting space, everything goes flat. From what I can tell, there's no 'groove' or nick in the saddle that could cause the string to snag.

Any more ideas? Guess I might contact customer support. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

raise the height of the saddle? so it would be harder for the string to slip out of it

Santuzzo

Reaction score

Oh, the string keeps going off center on the saddle piece? I have had the same issue. The old saddles didn't have this issue, but for some reason (I think I read somewhere the new saddles work better for the piezo) they made the saddle pieces (for lack of a better term, I don't know how these things are called) bigger and the strings don't always stay centered when you bend.
As A-Branger suggested, I would also try raising the saddle a bit. Check for intonation, too, and then see if raising the saddle helps.
In my case the issue is still there, but even though the string keeps going off center it still stays in tune, so it's not that big of an issue for me.
I hope you get it resolved one way or another.
Keep us posted!

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score

Dang man.. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully customer service can help you man cause no one in are area knows much about EB when i took one to a guitar shop they had no idea what was going on lol

Arkeion

Reaction score
raise the height of the saddle? so it would be harder for the string to slip out of it

Oh, the string keeps going off center on the saddle piece? I have had the same issue. The old saddles didn't have this issue, but for some reason (I think I read somewhere the new saddles work better for the piezo) they made the saddle pieces (for lack of a better term, I don't know how these things are called) bigger and the strings don't always stay centered when you bend.
As A-Branger suggested, I would also try raising the saddle a bit. Check for intonation, too, and then see if raising the saddle helps.
In my case the issue is still there, but even though the string keeps going off center it still stays in tune, so it's not that big of an issue for me.
I hope you get it resolved one way or another.
Keep us posted!

I'll try it tonight. I was gonna do it last night but I got in too late, so I just did my quick practice routine and went to bed. I actually considered it before I posted that the nut sauce didn't work, but I didn't want to do any adjustments if I didn't have to. I'm considering jumping up a gauge and dropping to A standard anyways for a short bit, so I may as well kill 2 birds with one stone.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
I think they made the saddle pieces bigger so thicker strings would still engage the piezo. I put a 68 on my JP11 back in the day and the piezo could only make intermittent contact with that string.

Arkeion

Reaction score
Haven't played my JP in about a week because I've been learning the new Monuments song on my RG. Picked up the JP tonight and fell in love all over again. That fretboard... Lawwwwwd

Arkeion

Reaction score
Hadn't seen one of these before. It belongs (or belonged) to a user here. holy god

walnut burst BFR
nycYqXH.jpg

Arkeion

Reaction score
Adjusting trem height did not fix it. Got in touch with MM CS and they said send it in and they'd pay shipping.. I just really don't wanna be without my JP for that long :lol:

animal101

Reaction score
Hadn't seen one of these before. It belongs (or belonged) to a user here. holy god

walnut burst BFR
nycYqXH.jpg

One of the two I have is very close to that.....They still to me at least are hideous guitars lol

')