The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I don't believe that has the Stainless Frets, you can check by asking for the serial number and calling EBMM Customer Service, they can check for you. And BFR is what people describe the first Ball Family Reserve JP's as.

John Petrucci BFR

It has a Mahogany Neck/Rosewood Fretboard, Alder/Mahogany TB/Maple Top for the Body woods, shaped differently and the older BFR's had an inlay at the 12th Fret, whereas all new BFR's just have the letters engraved on the Neck Plate.

Thanks!

So, would you say the BFR guitars are in general better than non-BFR? Or are they just a bit more luxurious in terms of mainly cosmetic things?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Had to do the Arctic Dream :) I've wanted that finish for a couple years now and I didn't end up getting it on my JP13 - I didn't wanna wait and/or pay the upcharge; so this is my chance. I LOVE that it's matte finish, too, which is the only thing that differentiates it from Mystic Dream.

JP13 only comes in silver and that sparkly green doesn't it?

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
JP13 only comes in silver and that sparkly green doesn't it?

They now have it in "cardinal red sparkle" Music Man JP13 7 - Cardinal Red Sparkle | Sweetwater.com but Dylan at Sweetwater said they could get me one in Mystic Dream if I was willing to pay the $300 or so upcharge and wait for it - probably would have taken months. But I jumped on one of the platinum silver ones instead - and while it's not my favorite color, I still love it. It feels like I'm playing a BMW or something :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks!

So, would you say the BFR guitars are in general better than non-BFR? Or are they just a bit more luxurious in terms of mainly cosmetic things?

No, none of their instruments are lower quality from one another. The cheapest will play as nicely as the most expensive offering EBMM has, it's all the same people making these things. I have a completely unloaded JP6 coming in, and it'll play as nicely as the BFR that is coming alongside it. You just get different features, looks, and tonewoods with each model.

I'm a big fan of Basswood, so having at least one JP with a Basswood Body in the arsenal is a must have for me.

They now have it in "cardinal red sparkle" Music Man JP13 7 - Cardinal Red Sparkle | Sweetwater.com but Dylan at Sweetwater said they could get me one in Mystic Dream if I was willing to pay the $300 or so upcharge and wait for it - probably would have taken months. But I jumped on one of the platinum silver ones instead - and while it's not my favorite color, I still love it. It feels like I'm playing a BMW or something :)

Holy shit seriously? I would love to see a 13 in the Mystic Dream finish, I wonder if he was being serious about that lol.

Poho

Reaction score
I just picked up a JPX7 after christmas. I'm used to the regular old vanilla JP7, and so it took me a while to adapt to the differences. I wasn't expecting it to be really different, but it is. You can tell that it's the same brand, but it's on a whole new level. I was explaining it to some friends by saying that it's like I had driven Toyota Camrys my entire life, then I go and buy a Toyota supercar. Yeah I can tell it's a Toyota, but I have no idea how to drive it.

Amazing guitar though. Sturdy and sleek, sounds incredible.

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
hahaha awesome description!

I just picked up a JPX7 after christmas. I'm used to the regular old vanilla JP7, and so it took me a while to adapt to the differences. I wasn't expecting it to be really different, but it is. You can tell that it's the same brand, but it's on a whole new level. I was explaining it to some friends by saying that it's like I had driven Toyota Camrys my entire life, then I go and buy a Toyota supercar. Yeah I can tell it's a Toyota, but I have no idea how to drive it.

Amazing guitar though. Sturdy and sleek, sounds incredible.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
742b88da8e1611e3a82a1254f80f8824_8.jpg

;)

NGD soon!

This is the most immense and tight guitar I've ever plugged in, EVER.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've been LOVING my JP since I got it..and the BKPs make it even meaner!
I did a cover recently with a friend using the JP, check it out!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
awesome! congrats!
Is this a new one with Illuminators in it?

I'm going to stick some Illuminators in it soon because the Aftermaths are a bit too close to the strings for my liking. It's more to do with that and I don't want to route the JP12 to accommodate these pickups :lol: The Aftermaths aren't bad but they're not my first choice either.

From what I gather the Illuminators will sound great in the JP12 though, so as soon as I get paid again I'll have those ordered!

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score

That would've got me off pretty hard >< Mystic dream jp13... well majesty is basically a mystic dream jp13 anyway xD (tonally anyway)

I had to jump on it in december though from GC because of the whole signed box thing.

My petrucci fangirlism strikes again :p

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
That would've got me off pretty hard >< Mystic dream jp13... well majesty is basically a mystic dream jp13 anyway xD (tonally anyway)

I had to jump on it in december though from GC because of the whole signed box thing.

My petrucci fangirlism strikes again :p

Yea I nearly creamed myself when I read what all yours - wait for it - "came" with. I woulda jumped on that too.

And yea; I basically see the Majesty as what my JP13 shoulda/coulda been. I figure it'll be a cross between the best of the JP13 with the neck-through that draws me to Carvin...

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Yea I nearly creamed myself when I read what all yours - wait for it - "came" with. I woulda jumped on that too.

And yea; I basically see the Majesty as what my JP13 shoulda/coulda been. I figure it'll be a cross between the best of the JP13 with the neck-through that draws me to Carvin...

I see what u did thurr.....

The 13 is not a failure of a majesty though.

It is sort of a unique beast - It's larger for one and it has two jacks which will keep it in it's own little niche.

For those who love JP shape and Majesty tone, we got dat 13.

Also short of buying a european sports car and putting strings on it, this is the closest we will ever get to playing an Audi or BMW xD

It looks f*cking incredible on stage.

I mean check this out

But that's to be expected - if we learned anything from the Majesty release it's that Coolness in reality = coolness in photos taken by music man x 26.7 :p

Majesty will be my next next purchase.

Next is an Axe ephex!

and yeah, sperm was produced once I found out I'd be gettin the box xD

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have another question to you guys:

do all the BFR models come with a painted neck? and without the 'arm-scoop' (for lack of a better term to call it)?

I like a non-painted maple neck better in terms of looks AND I'm really liking the arm-scoop, so would a regular/standard JP7 be my only option?

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I have another question to you guys:

do all the BFR models come with a painted neck? and without the 'arm-scoop' (for lack of a better term to call it)?

I like a non-painted maple neck better in terms of looks AND I'm really liking the arm-scoop, so would a regular/standard JP7 be my only option?

Yes all of the BFR's have painted necks.

And yes, they all lack the arm-angle.

However, as someone who really hates painted necks, I still love the EBMM ones ><

I actually prefer the JP13 painted neck to my unfinished strat neck.... there's some magic they work man xD

Play one and see how you like it before you decide.

But yeah that's the current state of affairs xD

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
There's some one offs like my Rosewood Neck BFR coming in. But the majority are painted neck and without the arm scoop.

Like Svava said, I've owned quite a few painted neck JP's and they play just great, there's nothing bad about them. The smooth polyester finish is great to the touch.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Yes all of the BFR's have painted necks.

And yes, they all lack the arm-angle.

However, as someone who really hates painted necks, I still love the EBMM ones ><

I actually prefer the JP13 painted neck to my unfinished strat neck.... there's some magic they work man xD

Play one and see how you like it before you decide.

But yeah that's the current state of affairs xD

There's some one offs like my Rosewood Neck BFR coming in. But the majority are painted neck and without the arm scoop.

Like Svava said, I've owned quite a few painted neck JP's and they play just great, there's nothing bad about them. The smooth polyester finish is great to the touch.

Thanks guys! :yesway:

I don't doubt the painted necks play nicely, but like I said, I prefer a non-painted neck mainly also in terms of looks.
But if I get a chance to try a JP7 with painted neck I definitely will do it!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm actually considering sanding down my JP12-7's neck a bit to at the very least satin-ize it. It's pretty easy to buff it back up to it's original gloss and it'll happen over the years of playing. What do you guys think? Should I give that a shot?

My students and friends who come over to jam and write music also love the way the unfinished Roasted Neck feels. I'm not going to say it feels better than the standard maple necks, but that kind of neck is incredibly smooth and easy to maneuver!

I can't wait for the 2 Rosewood Neck'd JP's to get here! The first should be here next week or so if I remember correctly.

')