The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Last night I looked through every single page of this thread again to see all those awesome JP guitars....my GAS for a JP7 becomes unbearable....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I'm actually considering sanding down my JP12-7's neck a bit to at the very least satin-ize it. It's pretty easy to buff it back up to it's original gloss and it'll happen over the years of playing. What do you guys think? Should I give that a shot?

My students and friends who come over to jam and write music also love the way the unfinished Roasted Neck feels. I'm not going to say it feels better than the standard maple necks, but that kind of neck is incredibly smooth and easy to maneuver!

I can't wait for the 2 Rosewood Neck'd JP's to get here! The first should be here next week or so if I remember correctly.

Rich bastard xD

My input is the same as most crusty guitar playing bastards would probably be - all change is the devil and you mustn't do it :p

I get horrified to make mods to expensive guitars. It's like... if it was a $400 ibanez I'd say do what you want, drill it, sand it, do whatever (liken to a cheap prostitute) but since it's an EBMM you must respect it, cherish it for what it is and protect it with your life (like your wife and the mother of your children).

If you do do it though post pics because I am a pervert and I wanna see :eek:.

And congratz on the TWO new EBMM guitars. Oh the things I would put in my mouth to be in your shoes :p

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
:p I actually got quite a great deal on them both with Pete, hard to pass up haha. I was originally planning on grabbing a Koa JP7 w/Rosewood, but after Pete explained to me what the Koa sounds like I preferred going for something else. And with the leftover cash I ordered myself a second! Haha. Sold pretty much every guitar I had to afford it, but it's worth it.

I might give it a shot with some fine grit sandpaper, I've done it before on lower end gloss finished guitars. And thanks man haha, trust me I put these things to good use! lol

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Would taking the gloss off affect tuning stability/structural/wood-strength etc.?

I'd leave it as is, personally.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Removing the gloss doesn't, I'd imagine sanding it down so the wood grain was visible would had have some effect on those things for sure.

Just to clarify, I want to sand it so little that the Cherry Sugar Finish is still visible but the neck has a Matte/Satin feel to it. Not actually sand it down to the wood although that might look pretty neat!

fabriarockz

Lefty! What the Fur?
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've been LOVING my JP since I got it..and the BKPs make it even meaner!
man those are covered BKP, it's the first time I see them installed on a JP7!
They look great!
Did you route the pickup cavities?

Would taking the gloss off affect tuning stability/structural/wood-strength etc.?

I was originally planning on grabbing a Koa JP7 w/Rosewood, but after Pete explained to me what the Koa sounds like I preferred going for something else.
I'm absolutely curious as to what Pete had to say about a Koa JP7, would you mind elaborate more on that, please?

Mr. Norstorm stated his Koa JP7 as bright sounding...
My fav is actually the koa model..
Tight as hell, and a bright sound.
Well.. The koa one sounds a little brighter, and harder.. That's all.. The rest is a "feel" I guess..
I was particular impressed by the piezo sound on the koa one...
But when it comes to clean electric, I guess the maple one would be my choice.
But all around, they are both unique and great guitars, and I love them to death!

...and to end my post rightfully, more Majesty 7 :cool:

John Petrucci * DREAM THEATER di Grzegorz Chorus, su Flickr

fabriarockz

Lefty! What the Fur?
Reaction score
Guys, I'm trying to upgrade one of my standard JP7s with some different pickups, and that's the easy part...
I'd like to install a push-pull pot and turn it basically into a BFR wiring...

Did anyone ever swapped out the tone control of a JP7? I don't want to damage anything really, so I'd like to be extremely careful with this operation.
I tried to pull the tone knob but it refuses to move: is tight as hell to the pot head.

Did anyone did this before? HELP!!!!

Stemp Fester

Reaction score
I tried to pull the tone knob but it refuses to move: is tight as hell to the pot head.

AFAIK there is a grub screw holding the knob onto the pot - you need to lift off the rubber surrounding the knob and the screw should then be accessible...

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
AFAIK there is a grub screw holding the knob onto the pot - you need to lift off the rubber surrounding the knob and the screw should then be accessible...

Correct! I use a thin pick to ease out the rubber and lift it. Don't want to damage it! But yeah there is a screw under the rubber that you need to lift to actually get to.

I'm absolutely curious as to what Pete had to say about a Koa JP7, would you mind elaborate more on that, please?

Mr. Norstorm stated his Koa JP7 as bright sounding...

Hey dude! First off, let me say that it's not a bad guitar at ALL. The Koa models are very nice, and I've played a the 6 string variant a few times.

On it's own it's very similar to the BFR, just warmer and smoother in most regards. It's all Mahogany + a Koa Top, and as far as I remember it reflected that pretty well. It had a wonderful Les Paul kind of tone, just very fat and warm. It has the coil split like the BFRs, so when you split the center position it is pretty spanky and shimmery. But I would characterize it as bright.

Now when I called in, I planned on ordering one with a Rosewoood Neck which for the most part is on the warmer and less bright side of the scale. I was more worried of losing that nice attack that the BFR body woods combination offers for me on my JPX/JP12.

Pete basically told me that the combination would be insanely warm and the top end would be very much rounded in it's definition. And that led me to believe that it would more or less kill that punch and spank I love getting when I dig into the strings. Especially since it would be lacking the Ebony Fretboard, it would lose in the top end and overall brightness I think. He definitely urged me to give it a try, but I'm happy with the other option I went with, I think it was the safer bet in comparison. I'm so excited to get it! :D

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
I'm considering swapping my jp12-7 for a BFR Koa? I'm doing right? I mean a normal koa with ebony fretboard. I love myjp12-7 but I'm playing so many rythms that the "15 flat radius or "17 maybe would be better. Also thoughs on the jp13?

lewstherin006

Reaction score
FYI guys I know this is somewhat common knowledge put if you are putting covered pickups or BareKnuckle picks, I know you will have to with the blackhawks, in a JP7 you will have to route the pickup cavity. The blackhawks will be higher than the neck. With covered pickups you will have to route the bottom of the cavity and the upper inside of the cavity. Im pretty sure you dont have to do this with the JP6.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I'm considering swapping my jp12-7 for a BFR Koa? I'm doing right? I mean a normal koa with ebony fretboard. I love myjp12-7 but I'm playing so many rythms that the "15 flat radius or "17 maybe would be better. Also thoughs on the jp13?

Hugely recommend the 13.

The radius, the pickups, boost, coil tap, everything works together to make it a really incredible and versatile instrument.

It's a pretty unique beast and I love it.

I've played most of 'em too.... it's just got summtin to it.

Also, as I've remarked previously, it looks like a german sports car.

xD

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
The uncovered Aftermaths are stupidly close to my strings on my JP12-7. Kind of annoying, but I've already ordered replacement pickups and these should be out of the guitar very soon. There's no way I'm routing this thing just to adjust pickup height.

The JP6 requires Routing downwards, especially if covered or else it'll be far too close to the strings. But covered pickups drop right in, the JP7's all need some sort of accommodation to fit in the cavity.

As far as upgrading to a Koa or a 13, you should play them before making a move like that. They sound very different to a 12, and that's something you should consider if you're buying or trading without trying. Your JP12-7 has a 20" Radius, and along with the XI offers the flattest radius of the bunch, so going to 15/17" is actually rounder.

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Can it djent and break bones? I'm just unsecure about the rosewood fretboard since I love the ebony fretboard. Also I miss the 12th inlay (but that doesn't count for the sound)

Hugely recommend the 13.

The radius, the pickups, boost, coil tap, everything works together to make it a really incredible and versatile instrument.

It's a pretty unique beast and I love it.

I've played most of 'em too.... it's just got summtin to it.

Also, as I've remarked previously, it looks like a german sports car.

xD

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Ye its impossibru to test these guitars here in Portugal, not saying I don't love my jp12 but I might take take the advantage from 15 or 17 radius since I'm playing most of the rythm sections in my band, but I really love ebony fretboard, the feel is amazing so that's why I'm aiming the KOA BFR. Btw if you guys wanna see some EBMM's and my jp12 in action here it go:

Jonathan the aftermaths in my jp12 just fits fine, in yours its really close to the strings? but it affects your play ability?

The uncovered Aftermaths are stupidly close to my strings on my JP12-7. Kind of annoying, but I've already ordered replacement pickups and these should be out of the guitar very soon. There's no way I'm routing this thing just to adjust pickup height.

The JP6 requires Routing downwards, especially if covered or else it'll be far too close to the strings. But covered pickups drop right in, the JP7's all need some sort of accommodation to fit in the cavity.

As far as upgrading to a Koa or a 13, you should play them before making a move like that. They sound very different to a 12, and that's something you should consider if you're buying or trading without trying. Your JP12-7 has a 20" Radius, and along with the XI offers the flattest radius of the bunch, so going to 15/17" is actually rounder.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
man those are covered BKP, it's the first time I see them installed on a JP7!
They look great!
Did you route the pickup cavities?

Yep! I had to route it out a little bit to make them fit, but they sound incredible now! Having the split coil option with the piezo adds for some nice options as well.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Ye its impossibru to test these guitars here in Portugal, not saying I don't love my jp12 but I might take take the advantage from 15 or 17 radius since I'm playing most of the rythm sections in my band, but I really love ebony fretboard, the feel is amazing so that's why I'm aiming the KOA BFR. Btw if you guys wanna see some EBMM's and my jp12 in action here it go:

Jonathan the aftermaths in my jp12 just fits fine, in yours its really close to the strings? but it affects your play ability?

Incredibly close, it doesn't affect playability but it does however cause my recordings to clip whenever I palm mute. I can turn down the input gain on my Axe FX 2, but it's annoying because I'll forget and record my other guitars with the input gain very low. But I don't really like their tone that much either, after playing the 6 and 7 string versions, they all seem to have this chewy aspect to them that I absolutely despise. So they've gotta go, I've ordered a set of White Illuminators to replace them after the recommendation of a friend.

And I wouldn't worry about the fretboard material, that's the only difference between the JP12/13 tonewood wise.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have yet another question about ordering a JP7:

if you order one of these, is there like a spec-sheet from MM where you can specify what options you want?

And: do you know if there is an option to get the locking tuners with chrome-tuning buttons as opposed to the pearl ones?
I think I would like chrome better than the pearl...

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Customizing options are only for sponsored artists, in this case all regular JP7's comes with pearl tuners except the Stealth Black model!

I have yet another question about ordering a JP7:

if you order one of these, is there like a spec-sheet from MM where you can specify what options you want?

And: do you know if there is an option to get the locking tuners with chrome-tuning buttons as opposed to the pearl ones?
I think I would like chrome better than the pearl...

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Tastes are tastes haha I love my aftermath because the crunchlab was too dark and bassy, let me know how the illluminators sound in that guitar.

Incredibly close, it doesn't affect playability but it does however cause my recordings to clip whenever I palm mute. I can turn down the input gain on my Axe FX 2, but it's annoying because I'll forget and record my other guitars with the input gain very low. But I don't really like their tone that much either, after playing the 6 and 7 string versions, they all seem to have this chewy aspect to them that I absolutely despise. So they've gotta go, I've ordered a set of White Illuminators to replace them after the recommendation of a friend.

And I wouldn't worry about the fretboard material, that's the only difference between the JP12/13 tonewood wise.

')