The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
Santuzzo, I've seen some ltd. edition JP BFRs with the roasted maple neck, unpainted. It has a gloss finish (which feels great). It seems like there are more of the 6's around than the 7's, but I did find a few 7's by googling "JP7 BFR roasted".

Misfit

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the "Ball Family Reserve" at the twelfth fret was really cool?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Ye I miss that inlay so freaking bad

By the way, I saw your music video and I was wondering how you guys tuned? Your other guitarist looks like he's playing a JP6. Do you just use the top 6 strings on your JP12?

It was, but I don't really care if a BFR has it or not anymore. If I could have ordered the guitars I have with just the standard dot inlays or no inlays, I would have.

However, they should have left it as an option for custom orders. So you would get a reduced price or so if you didn't want it, but paid the regular BFR price if you wanted the inlay.

I also don't know if I posted this here, I very briefly owned a Roasted Neck BFR. Thing had some serious note clarity just like my PDN.

10913437475_94ef81b69a_h.jpg

10913463305_029a6ade8d_h.jpg

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Hey man thanks! Ye he basically didn't adapt himself to 7 strings, but he still wants to buy a JP7 or a JPXI-7 to try since he loves my jp12-7. We both tune in drop A, he does most of the leads in that single while I play the rythms sections, the next songs we both do leads, things work easily since each of us work in our thing adapting to our type of guitar, sometimes can look weird having 2 guitarists, one with 6 strings and other with 7 but it works just fine haha.

Well I don't care about the badge also, still an EBMM instrument but it was a beautiful inlay, anyway I wouldn't mind having a jp13 or a BFR without the inlay haha :D

That roasted neck is awesome :p

By the way, I saw your music video and I was wondering how you guys tuned? Your other guitarist looks like he's playing a JP6. Do you just use the top 6 strings on your JP12?

It was, but I don't really care if a BFR has it or not anymore. If I could have ordered the guitars I have with just the standard dot inlays or no inlays, I would have.

However, they should have left it as an option for custom orders. So you would get a reduced price or so if you didn't want it, but paid the regular BFR price if you wanted the inlay.

I also don't know if I posted this here, I very briefly owned a Roasted Neck BFR. Thing had some serious note clarity just like my PDN.

10913437475_94ef81b69a_h.jpg

10913463305_029a6ade8d_h.jpg

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Can someone stroke my ignorance and explain to me what the differences are between the various JP 7 string models? I may be taking the dive, but one specific want is transparent black quilt, which i've only seen in the BFR 7.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Figured Tops are for BFR Models only, not counting the Anniversary BFR's (X/XI/12/13).

The Standard JP6/7 are Basswood Bodied/Birdseye Maple Neck/Rosewood Fretboard Guitars. The Standards feature 24 "High Profile" Frets, a 15" Radius, Locking Schaller Tuners, 1 Vol/Tone/Piezo Vol* (Optional). Has a generous arm bevel on the front that feels so comfy to play on, really helps.

The Standards can be ordered with Petrucci Shield Inlays, a Piezo Unit, Matching Headstock, and the 12 colors listed on the EBMM website.

The BFR (Non Anniversary, the Figured Topped ones) feature a mixed tonewood body, Alder/Mahogany Tone Block/Figured Maple Top of choice (Flame/Quilt +$) and a Painted Mahogany Neck/Rosewood Fretboard. The Quilt has a slight upcharge and it has the same specs as the Standards. 24 High Profile Frets, Locking Schaller Tuners, 1 Vol/Tone/Piezo Vol, and a Push/Pull Coil Spit on the Tone (Available on all BFRs). The BFR's have a more traditional arm cut/bevel, still very comfy but more traditional.

The BFRs cannot be customized outside of available color options, meaning they come loaded with matching headstocks, Piezo, and Shield Inlays. They have 6 different colors on their website right now.

The Koa BFR is the most expensive of the lot, features an all Mahogany Guitar/Koa Top/Ebony Fretboard and a Painted Mahogany Neck. It has the same specs as the Standards. 24 High Profile Frets, Locking Schaller Tuners, 1 Vol/Tone/Piezo Vol, and a Push/Pull Coil Spit on the Tone

Then the Anniversary Models were a bit of an overhaul.
JPX
Chambered Alder/Mahogany Tone Block/Maple Top
Mahogany Neck/Ebony Fretboard/24 Jumbo Frets/15" Radius

Just a quick note, all of the JP's up until now have the same exact neck profile. So from the Standard/BFR/JPX they will all feature that same neck profile.

JPXI
Alder/Mahogany Tone Block/Maple Top
Mahogany Neck/Ebony Fretboard/24 Medium Jumbo Frets/20" Radius
New Absurdly thin neck profile. Noticeably thinner than prior models.

JP12
Basswood/Mahogany Tone Block/Maple Top
Mahogany Neck/Ebony Fretboard/24 Medium Jumbo Frets/20" Radius
Virtually the same as the JPXI, the only change being the finish and Basswood instead of Alder as a part of the body. Same Neck Profile as the JPXI, my old JP12 actually measured at 14mm at the 1st Fret, which was astonishing.

JP13
Basswood/Mahogany Tone Block/Maple Top
Mahogany Neck/Rosewood Fretboard/24 Medium Jumbo Frets/17" Radius
New Neck Profile, not very different from the XI/12 but feels slightly less flat. Also has a Boost wired into the Volume Knob in the form of a Push/Push knob, Push/Push Coil Split on the Tone Knob.

Hope that helped a bit! The differences between the models are pretty subtle but enough to make you lean towards a specific model once you try them all.

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Thanks Jonathan - honestly, even with my second EBMM JP guitar on the way, I had no idea of all that information! Looks like I need one of each now; although seems like the JP12 is most what I'm looking for... We'll let the honeymoon period of the Majesty wear off first ...once it starts lol :)

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Hope that helped a bit! The differences between the models are pretty subtle but enough to make you lean towards a specific model once you try them all.
Great info, thanks! I need to sell some stuff if I can find that thing anywhere. I've seen similar in the Sterling series, but not in 7.

vinniemallet

EBMM Addicted
Reaction score
Make sure you like "20 radius when you're going to the jp12, in my opinion it's awesome for solos, not so great for ryhtms.. but still a kick ass guitar. the tone is awesome.

Thanks Jonathan - honestly, even with my second EBMM JP guitar on the way, I had no idea of all that information! Looks like I need one of each now; although seems like the JP12 is most what I'm looking for... We'll let the honeymoon period of the Majesty wear off first ...once it starts lol :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

No worries dude! The JP12 is very cool sounding, I honestly love it. I missed having a single 20" radius in the herd. But like Vinnie said the 20" radius is pretty flat, it just depends on how you'll mesh with it. The finish and the ebony board are absolutely gorgeous though :)

Great info, thanks! I need to sell some stuff if I can find that thing anywhere. I've seen similar in the Sterling series, but not in 7.

No worries dude! You can always order through Pete Dubaldo, I ordered my two incoming ones through him in November and it was flawless. He cut me a great deal on them both!

Speaking of which, I got photos of my first Rosewood Neck'd JP. Not a 7, so you'll have to excuse me :D the 7 String is underway and should be here the week after the next!

large.jpg

This badboy arrives next week for me :D

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
This is a little tip for anyone with a JP13 (all two of you lol) - I don't know if the other JPs are like this, but I noticed that no matter what you play, the springs vibrate a little creating just a slight touch of noise/reverb/etc... Mine happens to vibrate almost at a perfect B, so I had to do something about it. SO, I just slipped a little piece of foam under it and the ringing is gone.

D6BECC33-6597-4B0F-8A5B-771575862C95_zpsb8prlgng.jpg

I'm not sure how the ringing affects the tone, but I imagine it would interfere ever-so-slightly with palm-muted open Bs at the very least and hampering sustain of upper notes at most. I don't really ever use the trem so the possibility of springs chewing up the foam is not really an issue, but if you do, I'd recommend using something that won't get caught in the springs - though, chances are even the foam wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, do with this info what you will :)

christheasian

Reaction score
This is a little tip for anyone with a JP13 (all two of you lol) - I don't know if the other JPs are like this, but I noticed that no matter what you play, the springs vibrate a little creating just a slight touch of noise/reverb/etc... Mine happens to vibrate almost at a perfect B, so I had to do something about it. SO, I just slipped a little piece of foam under it and the ringing is gone.

D6BECC33-6597-4B0F-8A5B-771575862C95_zpsb8prlgng.jpg

I'm not sure how the ringing affects the tone, but I imagine it would interfere ever-so-slightly with palm-muted open Bs at the very least and hampering sustain of upper notes at most. I don't really ever use the trem so the possibility of springs chewing up the foam is not really an issue, but if you do, I'd recommend using something that won't get caught in the springs - though, chances are even the foam wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, do with this info what you will :)

My cavity looks like this, as well. I have a bigger piece of foam in there and a small piece of gaff tape on the springs. I also have to do it at the nut. (can't really complain about having a resonate guitar tho...) hahah

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
After having my Ibanez Edge Trem the JP's all seem really quiet and nice.
xD

The edge in my S was really noisy.

But we'll see. Maybe after a while I'll notice it... Thanks for the idea for this fix though xD

Also I been watching ur UglyBunny channel. I saw dat odd time signature riff.... :yesway:

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I do that to all my JP's, the resonance is alright for everything but Hi-Gain for me. Also tape each spring a bit to secure them, there are noiseless springs available but that costs more money of course :D

Checked out your channel Decree! Killer sounds out of that JP13 man! :D

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
I do that to all my JP's, the resonance is alright for everything but Hi-Gain for me. Also tape each spring a bit to secure them, there are noiseless springs available but that costs more money of course :D

Checked out your channel Decree! Killer sounds out of that JP13 man! :D

Does doing that decrease the feeling of vibration/resonance through the guitar?

That's one of my favorite things about the JP, it feels alive in your hands xD

')