The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
question to those of you who have a piezo system on the EBMM 7:
When you don't use the piezo for a while do you ever take out the battery and just run the guitar through the magnetic/stereo output?

Reason I'm asking is: I have been doing this and I noticed the volume pot having some humming noise when opened up to about 60-80%, but when turned up all the way the noise is gone. Not a grounding issue either, since touching the strings does not have any effect on this humming noise.
So I was wondering if taking the battery for the piezo system may have anything to do with this?

Is it common, btw, to just remove the battery and run the signal through the magnetic/stereo output when not using the piezo for a while?

Neko

Reaction score
question to those of you who have a piezo system on the EBMM 7:
When you don't use the piezo for a while do you ever take out the battery and just run the guitar through the magnetic/stereo output?

Reason I'm asking is: I have been doing this and I noticed the volume pot having some humming noise when opened up to about 60-80%, but when turned up all the way the noise is gone. Not a grounding issue either, since touching the strings does not have any effect on this humming noise.
So I was wondering if taking the battery for the piezo system may have anything to do with this?

Is it common, btw, to just remove the battery and run the signal through the magnetic/stereo output when not using the piezo for a while?
I don't take battery out. I think it doesn't discharge battery in case you don't plug jack into mono output.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
I'm sorry to admit it boys and girls, but I may have to cancel my Chapman ML-7 order and just keep saving up for a JP7 Model. These things are insane. Back in my "slappa da bass" days, my best bud had a MM Sting Ray Bass. It was so special feeling to play, and i never knew why. Lucky bastard, his older sister bought it for him. He could really play though, and he taught me a lot. These guitars are so beautiful even in solid colors or bursts, it makes me want to touch 'em!

lewstherin006

Reaction score
I'm sorry to admit it boys and girls, but I may have to cancel my Chapman ML-7 order and just keep saving up for a JP7 Model. These things are insane. Back in my "slappa da bass" days, my best bud had a MM Sting Ray Bass. It was so special feeling to play, and i never knew why. Lucky bastard, his older sister bought it for him. He could really play though, and he taught me a lot. These guitars are so beautiful even in solid colors or bursts, it makes me want to touch 'em!

Once you have the bite of the JP, it doesnt leave you. And once you get one, one isnt enough.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Once you have the bite of the JP, it doesnt leave you. And once you get one, one isnt enough.

Sounds like I'm f*cked... Proper F*cked. I don't even play well enough to warrant such a nice instrument and I don't even care! There are some really cool ones in this thread. I wonder if I'd be able to find a used Rosewood neck one. There was a Rosewood Neck'ed one on craigs, but it wasn't a 7 string or even a John Petrucci model.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
Getting a job at a guitar center (yuck)....
But they have this BEAUTIFUL koa top jp6 on the wall that apparently hasn't been touched for months.

The GAS is too damn high!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have it on the opinion of a fairly prominent member here, one who most would agree knows a thing or two about tone, that non-BFR JPs don't sound very good, despite how well they play. As a counterbalance, I'd like to solicit some opinions here. I've played a couple JP6s at guitar stores down south, but never through an amp (the last time I wanted to play one, this one guy hogged the only amp with a power cord the entire time I was in the store and played literally nothing except Van Halen). Thoughts?

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
I have it on the opinion of a fairly prominent member here, one who most would agree knows a thing or two about tone, that non-BFR JPs don't sound very good, despite how well they play. As a counterbalance, I'd like to solicit some opinions here. I've played a couple JP6s at guitar stores down south, but never through an amp (the last time I wanted to play one, this one guy hogged the only amp with a power cord the entire time I was in the store and played literally nothing except Van Halen). Thoughts?

"don't sound very good" is a pretty vague statement. I would have requested more information beyond that. IMO that wouldn't be enough info to convince me of anything.

Santuzzo

Reaction score

I have a non BFR JP7, and to my ears it sounds awesome.
But I have never played a BFR, so I can't really compare.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
To the person who left me that very odd neg-rep, the reason all this came up was because I actually really wanted to buy a JP7, so I was actually quite surprised when he told me he didn't like them.

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score

The thing about JP series guitars in my experience is that the setup has to be very precisely done or they will not feel or sound as they should.

For example the GC near me has a JP13 7- brand new. It sucks. Why? Because the action is set way too high and (though this only matters if I use the stereo jack) there is some fuzz when you plug into the stereo jack.

Conversely, the JP7 standard non BFR they have is probably the best playing guitar I've ever picked up.

Do not listen to anyone who says the standard ones don't play good.

Another example I've got is of a used JP6 I played at GC Arlington that I got to compare to a new JP12 6 string that they had. The used one was stock, dot inlays and pretty much bottom of the line except that it had piezo. It was also years old and needed a setup. It still played excellently and sounded great to me.

Maybe he was referring to really old ones that do not have the CL/LF in them...

But in my experience even those kick ass.

To each his own but I definitely would recommend any JP- pick the one you like and you wont regret it.

Also keep in mind how many sick DT albums were written on JP's before the BFR was even out. If those guitars can do that, they do not sound bad. Period xD

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Also keep in mind how many sick DT albums were written on JP's before the BFR was even out. If those guitars can do that, they do not sound bad. Period xD

This would be my defense. If its good enough for Dream Theater its good enough for me. Too many variables to account for with guitars and musical instruments in general. What matters is what it feels like to you.

I think we can all agree that EB is a helluva company and they're doing things in a way that many companies don't do. I know first hand how expensive it is to use processes like they have let alone make them right here in the US. Yes we pay more for it but I don't mind if its helping out our own economy and creating/sustaining american jobs. But that's me, and I am a bit of a hypocrite b/c I own a sub $1k Ibanez lol. However, I did buy a Mesa and when I can afford it I will be buying an EBMM.

Scrubface05

Reaction score
All of you and your Koa top bfrs make me want one soooo bad.
I WILL have one one of these days.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score

That's a ridiculous claim, tell him to post on here and explain why. I can say anything doesn't sound very good despite how well they play, but if he doesn't have anything to back it up it should be taken with a grain of salt.

First off, I'm going to throw this out there and say that the Standards are my favorite guitars for playability. They're on another level of comfort in my opinion, and my favorite of the JP's I've owned (12 so far) is the JPX7 I still have with me.

Speaking tone woods, it's a Basswood Body, with a Bolt on Maple Neck and a Rosewood Fingerboard and Dimarzio's. Standard Ibby setup, so if he's throwing the standard JP6 under that, then he's putting down every guitar with that tonewood setup. I LOVE my White Pearl, it does have a solid Rosewood Neck, but that wouldn't make the guitar sound any better than the regular model. It's just warmer, and snappier in a way.

I've never had an issue with the Standards sounding bad, my first JP6 had the D-Sonic Bridge pickup which I was not a fan of, but pickups can be switched. Using that as a gauge for what guitar sounds good or not is stupid, considering a $70 part can make the guitar sound drastically different. The BFRs sound thicker and fatter by a long mile. A lot of the guitar is made of Mahogany, it has a maple top, and varying pieces of body woods. So what really sets the BFR from the Standard? Wood Choice, and body shape in this instance. And afaik, wood choice is a preference.

I've started leaning towards the mahogany bodied JP's lately though, my Roasted Maple Standard has a Mahogany Body, and so does my Koa. Very cool sounding guitars, I actually recorded this yesterday with my friend using the Roasted Maple JP6. I'm playing Luke's parts, and he's doing Tim's, a rushed cover.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/kenji20022/protest-the-hero-mist-cover-by[/SC]

I do recommend you give one a shot through an amp, but consider this when you try any guitar. The pickups might not be your thing, but feel the guitar out and see how well it's constructed and plays, if you like it enough, Get it and throw in pickups you like better.

Given To Fly

Reaction score

I currently own a JPX7 (newer version) and am the former owner of an early JP7 with no options. The JP7 had "Custom Made" Dimarzio pickups (that was their title, Taylord can correct me if I'm wrong) and I remember the middle position of the the 3 way switch had a really unique tone; "metallic" and "organic" are the only two adjectives I can think to use. Anyways, the tone was unique and I have yet to hear it from another instrument.

The JPX7 is unique as well. The chambered body makes the guitar highly resonant. Whether or not this affects the tone through an amplifier I don't know, but from the player's perspective, especially when played unplugged, this resonance can be felt and heard. The problem is the JPX was the experimental Anniversary model, many features did not appear on later models including the chambered body, so its hard to say whether all BFR models sound better than non-BFR models. My experience certainly supports that argument but my perspective is skewed. Honestly though, short of arch top jazz guitars, "tone" is not the electric guitar's greatest strength. :cool:

')