The EB MusicMan 7 Club

• Thread starter Norstorm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Akkilju

Reaction score
I have a JP12-7. Is it bowed beyond what a truss rod adjustment can fix?
I can see I left that part out of my post - I did already correct it by loosening the truss rod, so it has the relief it used to have now. But I'm worried that it will backbow again. I'm not sure it can be corrected more than once more, as it seems to be on the edge to be loose. But again... Could be me who's scared after reading these horror stories :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Your truss rod can take a lot of abuse before it actually causes damage, all wood necks bow. Necks that have carbon fiber reinforcement less so, but all guitars will develop bowing in either direction regardless of brand. As the climate changes you have to compensate you guitar for the changes it experiences.

Akkilju

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys.. Much appreciated.

I'm still a little worried though, because as I said, the truss rod can't be loosened much more. I can tighten it a lot though, which just creates the backbow.
And I'd really want to change the gauge from the EB cobalts 10-50+62 to 10-46+64(mainly due to costs..), and that might need the truss rod to be loosened even more.

I just think it's weird that my truss rod is almost at its end(loose), when it probably should have been more in the 'middle', so it could've been adjusted either way, if you get me? :)

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Well naturally when you turn your truss rod to fix that bow you're loosening the truss rod. So it'll feel more loose than when you turn it in the opposite direction to tighten (Flatten the neck out). If anything get a second opinion from a reputable tech to see if the truss rod feels abnormal, but that sounds fine to me. That's a hard call to make without testing the truss rod in person.

Also keep in mind, the JP 7 string tuners for the low string have always had gauge issues with the tuner. Fitting anything past a 60 might give you some trouble, you can either unwind the end of the string and feed the string core through the locking tuner, or drill out the tuner to fit the gauge. What I did on my old JPXI-7 to fit a 64 is I ordered an extra tuner from EBMM and drilled that one, swapped the unmodified one out. And in case I ever sold it, I just reinstalled the unmodified tuner so it was sold as stock.

ddtonfire

Reaction score
Went to Petrucci's meet & greet at Sam Ash Hollywood on Thursday this week. He and Sterling Ball confirmed that they are working on an 8-string Petrucci model. He intends to use it on the next DT album.

Meet & greet was awesome BTW. What an awesome and humble guy! He stayed for pics and autographs with all ~120 people that showed. Steve Lukather stopped by too, which was pretty cool.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Went to Petrucci's meet & greet at Sam Ash Hollywood on Thursday this week. He and Sterling Ball confirmed that they are working on an 8-string Petrucci model. He intends to use it on the next DT album.

Meet & greet was awesome BTW. What an awesome and humble guy! He stayed for pics and autographs with all ~120 people that showed. Steve Lukather stopped by too, which was pretty cool.

That sounds newsworthy. :coffee:

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score

Very interesting, thanks for passing along that info!

A-Branger

Reaction score
From JP facebook

14358764_1261614690557207_7590233331477779374_n.jpg

looks like a JPX version of the Majesty is coming for 2017

plus a couple of more

14362513_1260794003972609_5132813542587370695_o.jpg

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
That glossy purple is my ...., I can't get past the active preamp being on 24/7 but I might grab one of those and git it/install some new pots and switches.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
I didn't read though all 62 pages of comments but does anyone else feel a bit disappointed in the Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups? Also my Piezo only works intermittently. A guitar tech said it's because of the heavy vibrations to the direct mounted pickup on the saddle screws with the wiring. He said it's a common thing in JP7'sound anyone else have there's cut out and in?

madwham

Reaction score
I didn't read though all 62 pages of comments but does anyone else feel a bit disappointed in the Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups? Also my Piezo only works intermittentlyrics. A guitar tech said it's because of the heavy vibrations to the direct mounted pickup on the saddle screws with the wiring. He said it's a common thing in JP7'sound anyone else have there's cut out and in?

I'm extatic with the CL et LF pickups in my JP7. They react well to my playing, and are a joy each in its respective playing field. In particular, I'm a big fan of the LF and its creamy sound for solo. :)

As for the piezo, what you described reminds me of similar problems I had in the first few weeks with my JP7. But the cause was simply the battery: the JP7 sucks energy of out it *very* quickly if you don't unplug it after each session.

At first I left the guitar plugged into my amp all the time, and in only a few days a new battery could be drained enough that the piezo started to act up. Now that I'm careful to plug the guitar in only when I'm using it, all those problems have disappeared.

scrub

Reaction score
I didn't read though all 62 pages of comments but does anyone else feel a bit disappointed in the Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups? Also my Piezo only works intermittentlyrics. A guitar tech said it's because of the heavy vibrations to the direct mounted pickup on the saddle screws with the wiring. He said it's a common thing in JP7'sound anyone else have there's cut out and in?

I go back and forth with the crunchlab and liquefier. I feel it kinda depends on the amp I am using. Perhaps its just my ears playing tricks on me, but I'm using a 6505 MH right now and the pickups just don't sound very good. Its my favorite guitar, so I'll probably be swapping the pickups for a different set.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
I'm extatic with the CL et LF pickups in my JP7. They react well to my playing, and are a joy each in its respective playing field. In particular, I'm a big fan of the LF and its creamy sound for solo. :)

As for the piezo, what you described reminds me of similar problems I had in the first few weeks with my JP7. But the cause was simply the battery: the JP7 sucks energy of out it *very* quickly if you don't unplug it after each session.

At first I left the guitar plugged into my amp all the time, and in only a few days a new battery could be drained enough that the piezo started to act up. Now that I'm careful to plug the guitar in only when I'm using it, all those problems have disappeared.

Well as for the Piezo, I have 2 little kids so my guitar lives Inear it's case. I more so found some that the heavy vibrations of say hard down stroking would do it. Then it would come back after a while.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
I go back and forth with the crunchlab and liquefier. I feel it kinda depends on the amp I am using. Perhaps its just my ears playing tricks on me, but I'm using a 6505 MH right now and the pickups just don't sound very good. Its my favorite guitar, so I'll probably be swapping the pickups for a different set.

I've used the guitar in a Mesa Dual rectifier, Blackshear HT5R and a Marshall JCM900 and thought it sounded good not great.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I love the LF/CL (7 and 6 string variants) moreso than the Illuminators or AN/TZ combo. They just work really well for me (playing DT songs, metal, etc.).

Never had that issue with my Piezo either, sorry to say.

timbucktu123

Reaction score
i adore the cf/lf set at least in the six string versions. the lf especially for solos its so defined

kabz

Reaction score
Crunch lab and liquifire are great.
I returned a Majesty Artisan, mostly because I really didn't love the sound of the Illuminators.

TheShreddinHand

Uber Stringer
Reaction score
I personally think JP had hit his best tone 'post Ibanez era' on the Black Clouds and Silver Linings album (BFRs w/ CL/LF). I feel like he's been taking a step back with each change he's made since then. And not a huge step by any means.....it's JP for goodness sakes, but he really hit his peak tonally around 2009 or so for me.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question to fellow JP guitar owners. I also posted this on the EBMM Facebook group, but I'm interested in your thoughts on this as well:

when re-stringing with the Schaller locking tuners, do you try to get as little string on the peg as possible by pulling the string as tight as you can before turning the locking thumb-screw? OR is it better to have something like half a turn of string on the tuning peg?

')