The Eight String Pickup Guide

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Those of you familiar with the Seven String Pickup Guide already know the deal.

For all of you who do not know about the Seven String Pickup Guide, this thread was started for the purpose of compiling our collective 8 string pickup knowledge.

Please list 8 string pickups you've had significant (at least 2 months) experience with and give us a review.

If possible please include the following information (at the very least):
-Guitar used (Woods and/or neck construction if you know it)
-Amp used
-Any effects/other gear used
-Your preferred style(s) of music

Mods, if I've missed anything, please help me out!

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
So far, I've had experience with the EMG 808 and the 808X. I'm sure many other 8-string players here know how "iffy" the 808 is or can be, and how muddy it can tend to sound. The 808X, like all the X-series pickups, have a lot more headroom and slightly less output than normal EMG's, but the tone is self-explainable. The 808X brightens up the low F# beautifully, and keeps the B and the rest of the strings equally balanced and quite flavorful. From those who have made the switch to the 808X, I've had heard the same results as mine and those 8-string owners were VERY pleased with the end results.

-Guitar Used: ESP LTD FM-408, Basswood body, Maple neck-thru body
-Amp used: Ibanez 10 Watt practice amp with Korg ToneWorks floorboard, but sounds just as good on other amps such as the Bugera 6262, Peavey 6505+ and the Line 6 Bogner 100 Watt tube head

caparison_x

Banned
Reaction score
I had EMG 808's in a Neck Thru LTD SC608b and thought they were quite clear and glassy, to get out of the mudzone I used a Maxon CP 101 to define the notes more on the Low F# String.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
In an attempt to further assist those who may need to use this thread, would you folks mind listing your preferred style(s) of music, please (or the style(s) of music for which you used the pickup(s) you're reviewing)? :)

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
For my testing an trials with the 808X, I mainly do metal of all types, but also classic rock too. Am slowly venturing into the realms of jazz, funk and some blues also. But regardless of style, the 808X is well suited and rounded for just about everything you can throw at it.

alfred

forever detuned
Reaction score
Just received a Lundgren M8C for my RGA8 today. In one hour, I gonna put it into my sweet riffin' machine!

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
Cepheus alpha and Cepheus beta- this is a passive pickup that come stock with some agile 8's.

7/10

First impression- I was surprised that these pickups sounded any good. Some one said that the were modeled after lungren m8's in another thread. Wether that's true or not I don't know.

Clean tone- excellent cleans, a very crystal glassy sound with a good amount of treble and bass. I love the clean tone on these pickups very AAL.

distorted- the sound pretty good through a distorted amp. There is a lot of treble and bass there is also higher mids present.

Final thought/opinion- I think it sounds ok for a stock pickup. I plan on switching them out for something else. The cleans are my favorite part of the pickup. Reminds me almost of a single coil just not as week. I'm not a huge fan of the distorted tones but they are definatly usuable till I swap them.

Hope that helps a little with anyone cosidering them.

Guitar- agile septor 828 mm natural finish, maple neck and fret board with ash body.
Amp- mesa dual rect. Pod x3.
Genre- metal

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
I have the standard EMG 808s with an 18v mod, thought i'd offer up my review

-Guitar used (Woods and/or neck construction if you know it)- Ibanez RG2228, basswood bady (that's how John Mayer would say it, BADY :lol:), maple bolt on
-Amp used- Pod X3 Live Diety's Son custom patch through a Carvin 2x12
-Any effects/other gear used- whatev
-Your preferred style(s) of music- Prog Metal, Prog Rock, Jazz, Experimental, whatev

I originally didnt mind the stock EMGs but after a while i found it impossible to get a great high distortion sound without the pups clipping and getting harsh in the low and high registers. I really wanted to make the switch to passives but figured i'd try the 18v mod since it was cheap. WOW what a difference! the harshness is completely gone and the pups almost have the feel of a passive, while still retaining the hi-fi quality i like about EMGs in the first place. the tone is deeper and more organic, less compressed, and still punchy without the clipping. i didnt even need to tweak my patches before i was getting an awesome sound out of them (i tweaked anyway though, because im a tweaker haha). anyone hating on their EMGs should try out the 18v mod before they waste money switching pickups completely.

General Tso

Reaction score
I have an RG2228. I swapped out my 808s for white 808x's that my teacher was able to hook me up with, thanks T!! I love the difference! It really helps out with tuning the F# down to E. More clarity and headroom as the earlier post said.

MulletBurden

Reaction score
Ibanez RGA8 with 808x pickups and a Roland GK3
POD XT PRO Roland GR55
various amps/speakers
styles: Prog, Tech/Math,Jazz, Fusion, Country

richardgibsonToN

Throne of Nero
Reaction score
I have an RG2228, and i have to say i really like the stock 808's in it! Although EMG's get criticised for being a bit synthetic, i like the control they give you. Live, i use a mesa dual rectifier and i find that the 808's keep things compressed quite nicely. The other guitarist in my band has the schecter blackjack atx c-8, fitted with the seymour duncan blackouts, and he says he has more effort to control his low end frequencies, though i guess this could just be the rig he uses (he uses a blackstar HT100 head and the matching cab) i'm excited to hear more about the 808x's though, can anyone tell me more about their experiences with these pickups?

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
I have an RG2228, and i have to say i really like the stock 808's in it! Although EMG's get criticised for being a bit synthetic, i like the control they give you. Live, i use a mesa dual rectifier and i find that the 808's keep things compressed quite nicely. The other guitarist in my band has the schecter blackjack atx c-8, fitted with the seymour duncan blackouts, and he says he has more effort to control his low end frequencies, though i guess this could just be the rig he uses (he uses a blackstar HT100 head and the matching cab) i'm excited to hear more about the 808x's though, can anyone tell me more about their experiences with these pickups?

If you like the 808's, then the 808X's are even better. They have more headroom than the std. 808, and it also has slightly less output and it has more of a passive pickup dynamics and feel to them by using a newer and different preamp in them. It's way better especially for the 8-string as the low F# is clear and articulate and not as muddy as compared to the 808 can tend to be. While the F# is now nice clear and even in the mix, the low B and the rest of the strings are even and just as clear as well. So far, the X-series is the best thing EMG has come out with to date. It's well worth the money and replacing the std. 808 with by far. I like them so much more that I'm dying to get the 707X's for my green Kamikaze 7 w/ the SPC & EXG controls, and the 707TW-X's for my Horizon 7 as well. Or better yet, I might just wait and try the 707TW-X's in the new ESP LTD EC-407 that's coming out!!!:agreed::wub::pimpin:

glassmoon0fo

Some Say...
Reaction score
Update to my last post! I caved and swapped my modded 808s for a set of BKPs, a cold sweat bridge and miracle man neck. dont think I'll ever go active again =). The passives just suit me so much better, they're easier to tame, clear as crystal, and there's no loss of bite or punch if i want it. I havn't tried the dimarzio 8s yet, but every set of bkps ive had so far have been worth the hype.

MobiusR

Thall, that is all
Reaction score
i don't even have a 8 string yet and this thread is already gonna contain amazing amounts of win! :hbang:

demigod

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference between the 808X, DActicator 8's and Blackout 8's is? I'm trying to decide between the two but its not so easy:D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference between the 808X, DActicator 8's and Blackout 8's is? I'm trying to decide between the two but its not so easy:D

I really loathe active pickups, so my vote would be for the D-Activator 8s. However between the 808X and the Blackout, I definitely like the 808X more. The Blackout is just way over the top with its output and it makes the bottom end a bit murky. The EMG is tighter and crisper.

BrandonARC

Banned
Reaction score
Great thread. I'll be reviewing a bl5 q tuner and a d activator 8 soon

mishabasi

Reaction score
So the 808's tend to sound muddy on the F# while to 808x's fixed the issue. Now does anybody have experience with running the 808's on 18v v.s. the 808x's on standard 9v operation? I have a schecter with the 808's on the way and i'm weighing out whether i should get the 808x's or just run it 18v.